• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would a buttondown shirt with turnback cuffs work?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly my taste, except I was thinking of three-button mitred cuffs and my neck isn't long enough for a two button collar. Something like this would be great with a royal oxford; enough surface interest to look casual, but with that hint of dressiness.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, what about turnback cuffs and banded/Mandarin/"priest" collar?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal

Now you're just trying to come up with a weird-ass shirt.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal

"Euro-Disco" comes to mind.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What cuffs work with a Mandarin collar shirt? Barrel only due to the minimalist look? I was thinking because some people wear these with suits to avoid wearing a tie, so supposedly these can be dressed up.

emptym

Reaction score
If you want to be different, what's wrong w/ a nice barong?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because it's supposed to be worn on occasions when one would wear a morning coat or a suit over here, depending on the fabric? Also, it's translucent and extremely thin, and doesn't work in November in the East Coast. Batik shirts, maybe.

emptym

Reaction score
That's true, they are thin. I'm not sure the design would work w/ a thinker fabric, but while we're breaking rules and experimenting...

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but if you use a different fabric, then what you have is really just another embroidered shirt.

By the way, not that I'm planning to do this, but what exactly is the rationale for French or turnback cuffs not working with a Mandarin collar? I ask because searches for Mandarin collars turn up a lot of sites on tux shirts, and French cuffs work with wing collars.

Tailor In Style

Reaction score
These cuffs can be pretty cool, nice to be a bit different and adventurous once in a while.
smile.gif
It really depends in what style they come in, I think. There are the more squared types and then there are the round ones. Hey they are also called portofino cuffs or cocktail cuffs. I would personally skip the button down collar and go for a wide spread, but it really depends on the shape of your face as well.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
imho, the Mandarin collar - turnback cuff wouldn't work 'cause the simplicity and miminimalism of the collar doesn't go well with the turnback cuff's design.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally saw an example of a turnback cuff on a higher quality shirt today. Screw it, Carl is right, what I had in mind will result in too much flapping about.

Acidboy: So barrel cuffs or French cuffs for a white Mandarin collar shirt you want to dress up?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads