• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the cost of service

nostrings

Reaction score
Yesterday, I decided I would attempt to brave the pushy staff at my local Men's Wearhouse in order to get a better look at a particular sportcoat that had been on display for some time. When asked about the garment, the staff replied that my coat of interest wasn't available any longer, that they couldn't understand why it was still in the window display as they no longer carry them and ... would I like to try on "this handsome one in cashmere?".

"Hmmmm" I thought to myself. Maybe this was simply fate telling me that the trip was not a good idea.
"No. Thank you anyway." I said, and began to head for the door. On my way out I noticed that the original sportcoat in question was, in fact, available in my size and I still continued to exit the store.

I'm wondering, if many of you have seen products that you'd like to have but refrain from purchasing because you dislike the staff, business, etc. Perhaps some of you have even knowingly paid more for something from a shop because the staff was more helpful or genuine. Is it fair to say that quality service is one of the reasons we're willing to pay more for things?

mmhollis

Reaction score
YES, the Jos A Banks on 11th and F Street, to be exact. I was in the store for about 20 minutes and not one person said a word to me. I was, in fact, the ONLY person who wasn't met with at least a hello. Shame, because they had one of their massive sales too.

greyinla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nostrings
I'm wondering, if many of you have seen products that you'd like to have but refrain from purchasing because you dislike the staff, business, etc. Perhaps some of you have even knowingly paid more for something from a shop because the staff was more helpful or genuine. Is it fair to say that quality service is one of the reasons we're willing to pay more for things?

Frequently. There's shops at my local mall I wouldn't set foot in if they were giving the clothes away and others that I often buy something, if only a tie, just because they are helpful or just let me browse w/out hovering. And some dept. stores w/ a good selection I visit less frequently than I might because dealing w/ the SAs is too exhausting.

And then there are some retailers that are polite enough but give $ support political causes I disagree with; I've forgone bargains there to purchase from more neutral places.

indy116

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nostrings

Yes. I've walked out of stores a time or two when I wasn't happy w/ the service. I don't know that I've gone out of my way to pay more money for an item at a different store.

yo!

Reaction score
You have to remember that at these kind of establishments that is how they sell suits.

I would characterize the average shopper who actually buys something as either the guy who has to wear suits often for work but doesn't really know/care about them, or the guy who needs to buy a suit for the first time ever/or in a long time.

These kind of people need someone to immediately approach them, steer them in the right direction, size them, and give their "professional" opinions.

Now, I have seen pushy sales people at low dollar stores and high dollar stores however, it is something that you will find at every men's warehouse style establishment.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
You have to remember that at these kind of establishments that is how they sell suits.

I would characterize the average shopper who actually buys something as either the guy who has to wear suits often for work but doesn't really know/care about them, or the guy who needs to buy a suit for the first time ever/or in a long time.

These kind of people need someone to immediately approach them, steer them in the right direction, size them, and give their "professional" opinions.

Now, I have seen pushy sales people at low dollar stores and high dollar stores however, it is something that you will find at every men's warehouse style establishment.

+1

I have only been into a Mens Wearhouse once and it was because I needed a pure white blazer asap to complete a wardrobe for a "White" XMas party and I didnt want to spend more than I had to for something I would rarely ever wear again. Of course they tried to sell me on some black velvet monstrosity and some other stuff and I just had their tailor do his work on the blazer I needed and left as quickly as I could. I was as polite as possible and tried to give the salesman the hint that I wasn't interested in anything else when he asked about what other sportcoats I would like to try on and I replied, "Well I just purchased an Oxxford cashmere piece, do you have anything by Oxxford or Kiton?" The bewildered look I received didn't stop him from trying to grab something else off the rack.

kakemono

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
+1

I have only been into a Mens Wearhouse once and it was because I needed a pure white blazer asap to complete a wardrobe for a "White" XMas party and I didnt want to spend more than I had to for something I would rarely ever wear again. Of course they tried to sell me on some black velvet monstrosity and some other stuff and I just had their tailor do his work on the blazer I needed and left as quickly as I could. I was as polite as possible and tried to give the salesman the hint that I wasn't interested in anything else when he asked about what other sportcoats I would like to try on and I replied, "Well I just purchased an Oxxford cashmere piece, do you have anything by Oxxford or Kiton?" The bewildered look I received didn't stop him from trying to grab something else off the rack.

probably had never heard of them
laugh.gif

Not to mention, they will always try to sell you something two sizes too large. I almost had to fight the guy when I bought my first suit.

Ixelles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmhollis
I was in the store for about 20 minutes and not one person said a word to me. I was, in fact, the ONLY person who wasn't met with at least a hello.

There are some stores where this would be great! Take a big high-end (& overpriced) retailer in Amsterdam - Borrelli, Isaia and Kiton kind of level. The snotty mid-20's SA's have their high-water pants cut so slim they literally can't sit down, and their policy is apparently to have 2 of them tailing each shopper/browser to avoid them leaving the store empty-handed. Which I love doing.

My local store is run by an Italian who seems genuinely happy that someone else can be as obsessively interested in the construction of pants or a suit as he is. You have to set aside at least 30 minutes to pop in and talk clothes over an espresso (and I'm only an occasional buyer), but I have yet to pay full retail on any piece I've bought there. Looking for a nice shirt on a budget last week, he gave me 50% off my first-ever Finamore last week just because "he is interested to see what I think". BTW his full price equates to the SALE price at the store above...

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I found myself in a similar situation when shopping for furniture. The salesmen were perched center store, tagging customers as they walked in the door. This is a technique used at many car dealerships but rarely does the customer witness the actual "tag this mark is mine".

I might have purchased something if given even a second to consider the options. When I stopped to look closer, the guy would swoop down relentlessly power closing. He even informed me that he did not receive commission on closeouts and would appreciate it if I stuck to the main floor.

Doc4

Reaction score
At the start of my sartorial career, I had the opposite experience. I found a higher-end clothing store in the city where I was finishing my education, and they had several salesmen who were helpful, informative, and spot-on with the "not pushy but there when you need them" thing. One in particular became "my guy" ... doubtless I was one of "his" customers too, and he had either a photographic memory or a little black book of what each of us bought from him ... and over the years he sold me a lot of stuff I later appreciated buying.

Eventually I moved away to a small town far away, but every Christmas I'd fly in and pick up a suit. He'd give me the "Boxing Day-Month-Sale" discount even though it was just before Christmas, and make sure it'd be tailored by the time I flew out again at the end of December.
worship.gif

One year I showed up and looked around ... "where's Michael?" "Oh, he's left town." Would the manager let me have the same "deal" on the suit, sale-priced? If I came back after Xmas, of course.
eh.gif

Oh well, good things can't last forever. I left without buying a suit, and actually have never been back. I've now graduated to STP Isaias, but had the manager given me that discount that day, I might never have felt the need to search the internet for other suit deals.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ixelles
There are some stores where this would be great! Take a big high-end (& overpriced) retailer in Amsterdam - Borrelli, Isaia and Kiton kind of level. The snotty mid-20's SA's have their high-water pants cut so slim they literally can't sit down, and their policy is apparently to have 2 of them tailing each shopper/browser to avoid them leaving the store empty-handed. Which I love doing.

Oger or Pauw?

K

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads