• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beware of Your Computer Clocks / Daylight Savings Time

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a warning.

I was working at my computer and got up to leave for an appointment. When I got to my car I realized that I was an hour late for my appointment as my computer has switched to Daylight Savings Time.

I thought it was 4:30 pm EST when it's actually 5:30 pm EST.

I blame the government.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Just a warning.

I was working at my computer and got up to leave for an appointment. When I got to my car I realized that I was an hour late for my appointment as my computer has switched to Daylight Savings Time.

I thought it was 4:30 pm EST when it's actually 5:30 pm EST.

I blame the government.

?!

You're supposed to turn the clocks back this weekend.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
?! You're supposed to turn the clocks back this weekend.
Yeah, my computer turned my clock back already. I guess some computer's do it automatically (like mine).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My phone did that as well, yesterday. I was heading to pick up dinner and checked the time on my bike's clock, and was making a call and they were an hour off from each other. It turned out it was an hour later than my phone thought. It's always been horrible about DST changes though - I often have to keep it on Mountain time to keep the time accurate.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you on the East Coast, DST ends on Sunday at 2am local time, at which time you should turn your clocks back 1 hour.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few people at work had that problem today -- all my systems (including the three at work I have Admin rights for) are set to observe DST but not to update their time from the Internet.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a fix for this called NTP (Network Time Protocol). Click the box that says to use NTP or Sync with Internet time, or whatever your computer has. For some reason, most cell phones don't update the time automatically, which I find odd.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were patches put out for most OS's late last year to adjust the DST calendar. You probably just need to install the regular patches to get it properly in sync.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
For those of you on the East Coast, DST ends on Sunday at 2am local time, at which time you should turn your clocks back 1 hour.
How 'bout the rest of us?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bad user!

keep up to date with patches (and by up to date, I mean patches that came out over a year ago) and you wouldnt have this problem (unless you are running some ancient OS)

I had this problem on my automatic setting ("atomic") clock this weekend...it reset to exactly one hour off and the only way to fix it was to tell it that I was in a different time zone. What sucks is that my clock that used to require ZERO resets each year now requires 4...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So that's why.

My car clock for some reason switched back one hour (4 to 3) on Monday. I could not figure out why.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads