• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Banana Republic? Their slimfits fit like tents!!!
Banana Republic Heritage Fit is a slimmer cut than both Banana Republic Fitted and Banana Republic Slim Fit, but keep in mind, this is simply the ratio of collar circumference to midsection width.

bigbilly

Reaction score
thomaspink.com is expensive but they have a great selection and decent quality.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djs488
Yea, your metrics are wack. The fact that you have the BS mod fit as slimmer than the soho fit is just plain wrong. Anyone who owns them can tell you this is false.
Double checked and now know why this didn't make sense. Ben Sherman sells SoHo fits in sizes S, M, L, XL, XXL, but also in sizes 15 34-35, 15.5 34-35, 16 34-35, etc. Apparently, the number sizes are made for wearing with a suit - and thus not as slim fit as the lettered sizes. Updated the data so that we're only showing the Ben Sherman Lettered Sizes. The SoHo fit is indeed the slimmest one we've found yet.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Thom Browne is quite skinny - he's one of the few designers where I don't have to order the smallest size in the store (I'm a 1 in TB). I haven't worn any Black Fleece, but the woman in the Madison Ave store said they tend to fit one size larger than regular TB.

Another vote is for Theory - some people here knock the brand, but I've always had great luck with Theory. The quality is excellent (even for made in China - at least it's priced like it's made in China) and it fits me very well right off the rack.

I own a lot of Brooks Brothers slim fit - but they're not that slim, I just love the non-iron aspect of them.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Thom Browne is quite skinny - he's one of the few designers where I don't have to order the smallest size in the store (I'm a 1 in TB). I haven't worn any Black Fleece, but the woman in the Madison Ave store said they tend to fit one size larger than regular TB.

Another vote is for Theory - some people here knock the brand, but I've always had great luck with Theory. The quality is excellent (even for made in China - at least it's priced like it's made in China) and it fits me very well right off the rack.

I own a lot of Brooks Brothers slim fit - but they're not that slim, I just love the non-iron aspect of them.

If you like Theory, Bloomingdale's (in Atlanta, at least) is having a 40% sale on their European-style clothes. You will find good deals on Theory.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
If you like Theory, Bloomingdale's (in Atlanta, at least) is having a 40% sale on their European-style clothes. You will find good deals on Theory.

Oh nice! I'll have to check the Bloomies in NYC. I need some new white shirts, I was lacking in the first place then my dim self got pasta sauce all over one of my nicer ones. Dolt!

I'm going to check out Lugo in NoLita as well. A friend recommended them, anybody have any luck with this brand?

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What do you think is the most important part of a slim fit shirt?

Narrowness of the:
Waist?
Chest?
Yoke/Shoulders?
Sleeves?
Something else?

Patrician

Reaction score
I'm looking for slimfit shirts in the $150 range with extra long sleeves. Is there any brand in particular who has a broad selection?

Or is MTM the way to go?

spreadcollar

Reaction score
can anyone tell me the chest measurement of a tm lewin 15.5 or 15 "windsor" semi-fit shirt, and a size small "boston" shirt?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seph
What do you think is the most important part of a slim fit shirt?

Narrowness of the:
Waist?
Chest?
Yoke/Shoulders?
Sleeves?
Something else?

Most important for me is the body. a bit of extra along the chest I can live with. but that's the most subjective part, so I end up getting it tailored...
Generally, I dont find there's much variation with shoulder width, or sleeves (although some have too-large bicep areas) for my liking.

Originally Posted by spreadcollar
can anyone tell me the chest measurement of a tm lewin 15.5 or 15 "windsor" semi-fit shirt, and a size small "boston" shirt?

Can't give you exact measures, but I can tell you that the Lewin fitted, even in a 15 collar isn't all that fitted. the chest is probably around 40'+? double check though...

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How are the Express 1MX Fitted Shirts?

I was at the store today and they didn't have any Small sizes, so I couldn't try them on.. but was thinking about ordering some online.. I don't know though.

They're pretty expensive and I don't want to waste money on shirts that won't fit.

Anyone have any experience with these shirts, quality and fit wise?

nat3291

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
How are the Express 1MX Fitted Shirts?

I was at the store today and they didn't have any Small sizes, so I couldn't try them on.. but was thinking about ordering some online.. I don't know though.

They're pretty expensive and I don't want to waste money on shirts that won't fit.

Anyone have any experience with these shirts, quality and fit wise?

-----------------------
Yeah fit is okay not great but quality is terrible express shirts fall apart in wash. Bought 3 or 4 a few months back. waist of money b/c of quality. hopefully quailty has changed since then

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nat3291
-----------------------
Yeah fit is okay not great but quality is terrible express shirts fall apart in wash. Bought 3 or 4 a few months back. waist of money b/c of quality. hopefully quailty has changed since then

I doubt it. Fashion brands rarely upgrade their quality. They rely on their name and the fact that their target market does not appreciate (or even know) quality. I used to be that customer - am changing fast...
smile.gif

bigbilly

Reaction score
couldnt agree more with mkarin...i used to believe the fashion brands = quality. over the years ive learned that is absolutely NOT the case! i find they often STARTED as quality, but once its a big business its all about the $$$$$$$!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads