• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acorn Fabrics Kendal (Viyella)--suggestions?

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Probably the English would gravitate towards the black and blue or red/blue combos while Americans might choose more green and brown mixes.
Your statement is consistent with the email I received from them today. They were out of Polo Blue, and when asked for suggestions they tried to steer me in the direction of the "English" colors you mentioned.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you wash shirts made from Acorn's Kendal fabric? Their website says it can be machine washed: do I wash in warm or cold water?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
How do you wash shirts made from Acorn's Kendal fabric? Their website says it can be machine washed: do I wash in warm or cold water?
I believe all of their fabric can be machine washed, including their cream spun silk which is beautiful. I would get a mesh garment bag and wash all their materials in cold then let them hang dry. And use a gentle soap.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have Hunt Blue & Stag Green. These shirts last forever. My two are around 15 years old and just beginning to show signs of wearing out. Great shirts to wear with tweed jackets and casual trousers.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Love the Kendall - just had this made up:

Picture001-12.jpg

Picture002-12.jpg

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Love the Kendall - just had this made up:

Picture002-12.jpg

Nice. Just got this one as my first:

kendal1.jpg

Probably gonna pick this as my second:

Kendal2.jpg

Looking forward to trying them out this Fall/Winter.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Would a spread collar look fine on a Viyella shirt? Or, is a buttondown collar a better style?

Are breast pockets desirable?

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I had some shirts made from this recently (18 months ago) but they were made with the wrong collar, returned to be fixed and never seen again.

Sorry to hear you never received your Viyella shirts.

Am I to infer that the shirtmaker liked the fabric so much he kept the shirts--maybe to wear himself, or give to his kids?

BTW which is the wrong collar? I like spread collars. Is that OK on a Viyella shirt, or is against "the rules" or something?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Sorry to hear you never received your Viyella shirts.

Am I to infer that the shirtmaker liked the fabric so much he kept the shirts--maybe to wear himself, or give to his kids?

BTW which is the wrong collar? I like spread collars. Is that OK on a Viyella shirt, or is against "the rules" or something?

Wrong collar was just a different one than I wanted. I had two collars a spread and a point. On a prior order, I tried to do a larger point. I didn't like that one, but since it is what I asked for, paid for it but asked if they could just put buttons on it make it a buttondown instead (I never got that back either). On a later order, I asked for a point collar but they used the rejected "large point" specs instead of the original point specs. I returned them and, since it was their mistake, asked that it be corrected with my regular point collar (still waiting).

I generally wouldn't get a viyella shirt with a spread collar unless I felt like it. But I am most likely to wear it on weekends and I wear bowties, not four-in-hands, on weekends and spreads don't do well with bowties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads