• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Picked up a slightly used D80 for a really good price.
Now you just need a way to carry it stylishly.
wink.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this Sunday's project:

IMG_0896.JPG

Bigger throttle body, intake plenum, and software mods.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Now you just need a way to carry it stylishly.
wink.gif

I've given up on that thought long ago. However, this, is another matter. My newest acquisition: a Nikon FE with a Zykkor 35-105mm lens. I already have a 50mm, so this setup will serve my needs for now. Isn't she a beaut?

0f693je7.jpg

Just so you know, you played no small part in convincing me to give film a try. Thank you, Sir.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I've given up on that thought long ago. However, this, is another matter. My newest acquisition: a Nikon FE with a Zykkor 35-105mm lens. I already have a 50mm, so this setup will serve my needs for now. Isn't she a beaut?

Just so you know, you played no small part in convincing me to give film a try. Thank you, Sir.

Gorgeous! Congrats on getting a great camera. I used to have an FM and loved it. All the features you need and none you don't. Used manual focus Nikkors have become very cheap now, so you have the potential to add some amazing lenses to your kit without spending a fortune.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Shooting film is fun and also a great discipline. Enjoy your new camera. Hope to see some of your images soon.
smile.gif

humza

Reaction score
So i returned the Onkyo 576 receiver, and got me the 606 instead:
onkyo-tx-sr606-av.jpg
More future ready
wink.gif

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
iPhone 3G. So much extravagent shiney and random functions to promote laziness.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
iPhone 3G. So much extravagent shiney and random functions to promote laziness.
if only it could make calls.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Perhaps this Sunday's project: Bigger throttle body, intake plenum, and software mods.
Is that for the Cayman? Won't these mods lower the torque somewhat at the expense of small HP gain on the top end?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Is that for the Cayman? Won't these mods lower the torque somewhat at the expense of small HP gain on the top end?

Yes and yes. Porsche tunes the Cayman engines for higher midrange torque for around-town drivability. This mod (along with the software and a free-flowing exhaust already installed) won't give up much midrange torque, but will make between 20 to 30 more HP near redline for my 2.7L engine. The 3.4L sees even bigger gains.

--Andre

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes and yes. Porsche tunes the Cayman engines for higher midrange torque for around-town drivability. This mod (along with the software and a free-flowing exhaust already installed) won't give up much midrange torque, but will make between 20 to 30 more HP near redline for my 2.7L engine. The 3.4L sees even bigger gains.

--Andre

Is Cayman turbo? If not then free flow exhaust will rob HP not add it.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Is Cayman turbo? If not then free flow exhaust will rob HP not add it.

I'm not sure that makes any sense at all. People have measured their cars on several reliable dynamometers and found significant HP increases with these kinds of exhausts, including the model I use on my particular engine.

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I don't know about the impact on a Cayman but a better plenum on a 911 definitely boosts the power. A friend of mine did this over the summer.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that makes any sense at all. People have measured their cars on several reliable dynamometers and found significant HP increases with these kinds of exhausts, including the model I use on my particular engine.

--Andre

On NA cars, a little bit of back pressure is a good thing, so not only are there diminishing returns, but actual harmful returns when dealing with high flow exhaust systems. However, when moving from a stock exhaust to a typical off the shelf exhaust there is almost always some power gain, especially with a bit of tuning. This is because stock exhausts are very restrictive.

On FI, all bets are off and the more flow the better, although there is still a point of diminishing returns. Tuning is highly recommended here for a number of reasons.

All of this has been hypothesized with science and proven with dynos.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My splitting axe showed up at the office today. I have a bit of firewood that needs splitting and I'm tired of the wedge and hammer thing. So I now have one of these:

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/st...&storeId=10001

For some reason tempers are starting to fray around the office - I might take this out of the box and lay it on my desk for the rest of the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics