• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alternative to pea coat?

warmpi

Reaction score
I'm looking for a wool coat. I already have a topcoat, but it's a bit formal. I need a new waist-ish length coat for more casual occassions.

I hate car coats. I like peacoats, but it seems like just about every tom harry and dick has one and they all look the same.

Any suggestions? Maybe a brand or place place that has unique peacoats, or a different style of coat, or a different material altogether.

I live in Vancouver. It's cold and it rains.

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by warmpi
I'm looking for a wool coat. I already have a topcoat, but it's a bit formal. I need a new waist-ish length coat for more casual occassions. I hate car coats. I like peacoats, but it seems like just about every tom harry and dick has one and they all look the same. Any suggestions? Maybe a brand or place place that has unique peacoats, or a different style of coat, or a different material altogether. I live in Vancouver. It's cold and it rains.
A nice, broken-in leather coat can work quite well. I'm of the opinion that Gerard Butler in P.S. I Love You pulled it off quite well - he regularly wears them off the set as well. Huge image from P.S. I Love You
2.jpg
gerard-butler-picture-1.jpg
They're definitely more casual, and they evoke a more "rugged" feel, if you've got that kind of look going.

warmpi

Reaction score
thanks. that's something i hadn't considered.

i might stick with wool though. i'm afraid the leatehr won't be warm enough, nor will it do well with the rain.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks. that's something i hadn't considered.

i might stick with wool though. i'm afraid the leatehr won't be warm enough, nor will it do well with the rain.

Huh? How could wool possibly stand rain better than leather? If leather is treated the right way, it'll hold up indefinitely better than wool. It's like saying a cardboard roof would be better than a plastic one.
For the warmth you could look for a lined leather jacket, can't think of a stylish option I ever saw somewhere but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
Huh? How could wool possibly stand rain better than leather? If leather is treated the right way, it'll hold up indefinitely better than wool. It's like saying a cardboard roof would be better than a plastic one.
For the warmth you could look for a lined leather jacket, can't think of a stylish option I ever saw somewhere but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I would emphasise the warmth - bike riders don't use leathers only for durability! A good (lined) leather jacket is warmer than a woollen coat in my experience.
On the other hand, I wouldn't want to wear any of my leather jackets in the pouring rain.

TD

dopamine

Reaction score
Leather jackets are usually quite warm, and as others have mentioned, when treated and taken care of properly, will stand up to rain far better than wool. You would probably have to make sure not to get cheap leather for that purpose.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather jackets can go from really light to really heavy and warm. Example: Compare a supersoft thin lambskin designer jacket that feels like a second skin, lined with a lightweight synthetic line like cupro, rayon, polyamid (ect.) VS. a wool lined Aero horsehide jacket that will be tough as nails and but will be very warm, still and heavy. Obviously, there's jackets that fit in between this range and usually have light insulation. Another alternative in a similar vein as the more standard leather jacket is a shearling jacket/ coat, these come in a wide variety of styles though so they can look really bad or really good. They are a bit of an intention getting piece usually even fairly non-descript ones. These usually are a bit more luxurious and likewise expensive compared to your standard wool based coat. Basically, I'm trying to say there's lots of options so I'm sure you can find something that fits your needs and personal style.
smile.gif

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by siscom3
What kind and what brand is the middle coat?
It says HUGO right on the price tag, this is some sort of subgroup (red label?) of the Hugo Boss franchise.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I often wear my winter weight Oxxford sportcoat with the collar up on cold days. With a scarf and gloves it's plenty warm.

Along similar lines, I picked up this RRL from a fellow forum member to wear like that. It's a casual coat though obviously, but for my office environment also perfectly suitable to show up for work in.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=80809

Doc4

Reaction score
I'm looking for a wool coat. I already have a topcoat, but it's a bit formal. I need a new waist-ish length coat for more casual occassions.

I hate car coats. I like peacoats, but it seems like just about every tom harry and dick has one and they all look the same.

Any suggestions? Maybe a brand or place place that has unique peacoats, or a different style of coat, or a different material altogether.

I live in Vancouver. It's cold and it rains.

Vancouver ... cold?

For cold, maybe a duffel coat? For rain, I'd say waxed cotton. The "australian outback" stuff is a bit tom-dick-&-harry-ish too, but Filson or Barbour could really set you apart.

RyanM

Reaction score
What is the brown one gerard butler is wearing in the first pic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads