• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans with dress shoes?

SayNoToPistons

Reaction score
What are you thoughts on jeans with dress shoes? I want a look that's casual but classy at the same time. I am a freshman in college (NYiT in NYC) and I only wear jeans with sneakers now. I'm looking for a more mature look but still young at the same time.

I have a pair of "Alfani" which I brought from Macy's a while back. I only wore them 3-4 times for wedding parties and graduation. I think it's time to whip them out. They look similar to this in black:

31V%2BJjV1hJL._SS500_.jpg

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SayNoToSquareToes: There's an enormous old thread with an almost identical subject heading.

Happydayz

Reaction score
As you may have noticed there are some particular shoe tastes here.

However as a college freshman, although this might be considered heresy, you'll be fine. You can definitely match dress shoes with jeans, I do it all the time.

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Happydayz
You can definitely match dress shoes with jeans, I do it all the time.
True

Originally Posted by Happydayz
you'll be fine.
Not with those Frankenstein monstrosities, you won't. Square toes are even falling out of style with the Amjacks.

Welcome to the forum. Hang around and do some reading. There are lots of threads on what shoes to wear with jeans, including "dressier" ones

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the look is good. but not with those shoes (even though you could do a lot worse)

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
I think I'm just reiterating what has already been said but: Can you pull off jeans with dress shoes? Yes. Can you pull off jeans with those dress shoes? I don't think so.

pharrow59

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons
Any pointers on what "dress shoes" should be worn?

i think dress shoes with more of a matte finish would look better with jeans. shiny shoes with jeans seems like too much of a contrast in formality.

this is by no means a definitive answer, but i think suede wingtips look amazing with jeans--especially, if they are beat up a bit. i'm thinking varvatos or ndc or something of the sort.

SayNoToPistons

Reaction score
What other dress shoes would look good with jeans other than wingtips?

Sorry, i'm new to all this. Probably because I just graduated from highschool and all we wore were American Eagle graphic tees, jeans, and a clean pair of Nikes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics