• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Selling Idea

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think what Will argues for is anathema to the best bespoke processes: make more shoes faster for wider distribution? That's not bespoke, that's factory made big-business. Given that good cobblers are rare and that public demand for such shoes is equally rare, I don't see big global distribution models as part of the equation. I'd ratehr that communities return to the days of youre where cobblers were more common and regional. So that there were shoe makers again in Chicago, LA, NYC etc.

Shop local!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
"Vass is out"?

That was true, at BG, when will wrote that over a year ago. May still be.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Please read the post before you comment on it.

No offense Will- but I read it when it first went up and again when this post came around. I enjoy your blog quite a bit. Maybe I misunderstand you but until then I stand by what I though you were saying.

The end result I see of what you suggest is, simply put, "growth". OK- no problem. But I would rather see growth in the trade. For example, EG sets out to train shoemakers and then franchise them globally. Have them land in markets large enough to support it. You could still use some of the ideas you suggest, but keep the artisans local and use the net for core services and global business support.

Alas- I fear that far too few care for this level of shoe that supporting it is a difficult proposition.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
No offense Will- but I read it when it first went up and again when this post came around. I enjoy your blog quite a bit. Maybe I misunderstand you but until then I stand by what I though you were saying.

I don't think Will is talking about bespoke shoes.

- B

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I don't think Will is talking about bespoke shoes.

- B

I think you're right there and I've made my argument tangetial to him. My bad. But I still think the growth premise and market demand end up meaning the smae thing. Just at a different scale.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I think you're right there and I've made my argument tangetial to him. My bad. But I still think the growth premise and market demand end up meaning the smae thing. Just at a different scale.

Welted shoes can't be made cost-effectively except with machines that are too expensive for one man shops. That post was suggesting how high-end makers could reach more customers using the internet rather than compete for the same small number of retailers. I doubt if there'd be growth in the segment overall, but the makers adopting better distribution will win out over the ones that remain in the twentieth century.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welted shoes can't be made cost-effectively except with machines that are too expensive for one man shops. That post was suggesting how high-end makers could reach more customers using the internet rather than compete for the same small number of retailers. I doubt if there'd be growth in the segment overall, but the makers adopting better distribution will win out over the ones that remain in the twentieth century.

I agree. I've wanted to order some vass, but there are no sample size shoes available in the USA per Eiko.... in U or F lasts

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I cetainly do agree that they could generally improve online. As I'm sure you know, e-commerce is an area that MANY businesses suffer in due yto lack of understanding or resource.

The name escapes me but there is the new "chain" clothing retailer started by some of the guys from Nike and REI if I remember correctly. The store is basically functions as a place where you can buy in the store but if you choose to try on at the store then order online in the store, you get a better price. Reason being it helps them decentralize and reduce their shipping, warehousing and carbon footprint.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads