• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dolce & Gabbana

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I was browsing in Dolce & Gabbana today.

Who is their market? I was really struggling to figure it out.

On one hand, they had some pretty cool (if overly expensive for what they are) fairly classic tweed overcoats and cashmere blazers. On the other, they had some truly bizarrely coloured puffy jackets, other unusual outerwear and garish leopardskin pattern shirts. And in between some techno fabric sweaters (which I thought were very clever to be honest) and other wacky stuff.

I can see how each segment appeals to certain niches, but as an overall brand, it's very eclectic. No wonder they need so much advertising to keep the brand image straight. So who are they targetting with such a broad range of items? It seems very disjointed...

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Puffy, Are you saying that this thing isn't an absolute steal at $1,900?
0440505857790_ASTL_300x400.jpg

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their models are really into nose candy.
Add to that a crazy ad budget, and you'll end up with $7100 bomber shearlings.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They initially started off rather classy, though a little edgy/sexy and with subtle military details, but stuck fairly close to nice standards. Nicely tailored jackets/suits, excellent leather goods (made by Ruffo, IIRC), always a really great fitted, slightly shorter peacoat, etc.

Then, they began to make a name for themselves with more relaxed, "sexy" wear like LOW waist jeans, tees, etc. They kept selling lots of these and so this became their target via advertising, both in Europe but especially in Japan... where they do a large % of their sales. Each season, it seems like they've taken it one step further and so now they are garish, tacky, and almost trashy.

So, the schizophrenia is market-driven, though at base Dolce&Gabbana still know how to do some fun, sexy, but still relatively classic italian styling if you can wade through the "surface" novelty.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Douchebags.

Eh, that's a little narrow. If you take into consideration the entire Dolce&Gabbana umbrella, including D&G, there's a lot of crap. BUT, they still put out some beautiful items on the runway collections and in the showrooms.

It's just that those don't make for "shock value" advertising... seeing a man with no shirt and a pair of jeans with a 3" rise makes more IMPACT (for better or worse) than a guy wearing a nicely tailored blazer and wool pants.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I own a nice Dolce and Gabbana suit though I certainly wouldn't wear a lot of what they make. I am beginning to see a lot of D&G more and more like Ed Hardy...just very classless in many cases.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The items I was looking at today were all main line items.

I expect random trashiness from D&G, Dsquared or whatever. But for the mainline to be so... random, surprised me. I don't usually browse Dolce & Gabbana, but had some time to kill and I'm glad I looked.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
They initially started off rather classy, though a little edgy/sexy and with subtle military details, but stuck fairly close to nice standards. Nicely tailored jackets/suits, excellent leather goods (made by Ruffo, IIRC), always a really great fitted, slightly shorter peacoat, etc.

Then, they began to make a name for themselves with more relaxed, "sexy" wear like LOW waist jeans, tees, etc. They kept selling lots of these and so this became their target via advertising, both in Europe but especially in Japan... where they do a large % of their sales. Each season, it seems like they've taken it one step further and so now they are garish, tacky, and almost trashy.

So, the schizophrenia is market-driven, though at base Dolce&Gabbana still know how to do some fun, sexy, but still relatively classic italian styling if you can wade through the "surface" novelty.

This makes sense. You know, it was the sheer culture clash between some of the items that surprised me. I found a nicely cut, slim camel-coloured, soft cashmere blazer that fit nicely... stuck between a metallic parka and a digusting-looking (and feeling) "distressed" jacket made from some plasticky synthetic. It was just a bizarre contrast. It was like they were trying to sell to three different people at the same time.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A few years ago, they were making suits and jackets with a really nice silhouette. Sort of narrow and trim like RL Black Label. I don't know if the construction was that good, but the cut was cool. I would certainly wear these. But as rach said, these more classically tailored items are only about 5-10% of their line. All the other stuff (jeans, casual shirts, tees, distressed items, etc) is just over the top for me.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
No wonder they need so much advertising to keep the brand image straight.

Really? Straight? Have you seen their print adds?
smile.gif

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Well, I don't imagine they make any money with the menswear... Assuming they are breaking even, which isn't a given..

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
So, to answer the original question; who knows? Overall a good example of poor brand management...

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they actually make D&G emblazoned tshirts for real??

robasaurus

Reaction score
My store carries a fair bit of Dolce & Gabbana mainline product. I think rach2jlc pretty much nailed why the brand is the way it is, but Zenny is right too. I can recall very few customers that I have seen purchase Dolce & Gabbana who were not douchebags.

For transparency's sake, I should admit that I own a pair of Dolce & Gabbana loafers. I hope I'm not a douchebag...
peepwall[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads