• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
FNB, can you post a pic of your sweaty, stretched out, suede Edward Greens? For old time's sake?
Well I'll take a look for it but theyre not for sale if you're looking to upgrade your wardrobe
wink.gif

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
FYI GBP/USD is now below 1.7, down from around 2.0 earlier this year!

Excuse my ignorance and don't want to hijack, but with GBP/USD now close to 1.6 this has been on my mind. I assume that the price a visiting UK tailor will charge will be an amount exclusive of VAT, so you just multiply FX to that amount to determine the price. Is this correct?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Excuse my ignorance and don't want to hijack, but with GBP/USD now close to 1.6 this has been on my mind. I assume that the price a visiting UK tailor will charge will be an amount exclusive of VAT, so you just multiply FX to that amount to determine the price. Is this correct?

Typically, the price they quote to Americans is ex-VAT, but you should always ask to be sure.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How, exactly, can this thread be hijacked? The pilot doesn't even know where it's supposed to go. Take it where you want.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
How, exactly, can this thread be hijacked? the majority of the posters doesn't even know where it's supposed to go. Take it where you want.
Fixed, as they say in the vernacular
wink.gif
edit: Dopey messed me up but it applies here more than the other one anyway ;p

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Typically, the price they quote to Americans is ex-VAT, but you should always ask to be sure.

Thanks. The VAT refund always seems to take months when returning from abroad, wasn't sure if it was the same when the UK tailors visit.

Originally Posted by dopey
How, exactly, can this thread be hijacked? The pilot doesn't even know where it's supposed to go. Take it where you want.

Nice one.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Thanks. The VAT refund always seems to take months when returning from abroad, wasn't sure if it was the same when the UK tailors visit.
Most tailors will simply not charge you the VAT in the first place. That's a lot better deal than the refund because, in addition to the speed factor, with refunds you never get back the full amount.

However, if you pick the suit up in London, you have no choice but to pay the VAT and apply for the refund.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Most tailors will simply not charge you the VAT in the first place. That's a lot better deal than the refund because, in addition to the speed factor, with refunds you never get back the full amount.

However, if you pick the suit up in London, you have no choice but to pay the VAT and apply for the refund.

My advice Kuro is to have the goods finished and then mailed to you. Saves a lot of the hassle.

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/mafoofan/mfanblog/snapshots/102308sitting.jpg[/I]

Wow, this is great, you look fantastic, no matter what anyone says!! I am not a big fan of the tie-tying trip you are on, but the rest is simply awesome.

I have not been on the board much lately -- attempting to finish law school appears to take up more time than being a first year associate in NYC [IMG]https://www.styleforum.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif. I only wish I could show up to my firm looking as polished and complete as you appear to do. Very well done!

btw, What is the total number of coats/suits that you are currently rotating, and what percentage are Rubinacci?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I give that suit a hot diggity dog.

Nice work.

Is that the wedding suit?

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads