• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filene's Basement Strategy

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Three weeks ago, I found the perfect suit at a Filene's Basement -- a solid navy 2-button Oxxford -- which fit me like a glove. This would be an absolute workhorse of a suit. The only problem is that the suit is priced at $1199 (which makes it $899 with the suit sale that they currently have going on).

There is no way that my wife is going to tolerate a $900 suit in light of the recent suit purchases I've made. I could, however, probably get away with it if were around $699 or so. I just called today and the suit is still there.

Here's the question -- is this suit going to keep getting marked down until they sell it, or is it just going to sit there until somebody takes it at $899? It is an unusual size and obviously not a brand that appeals to the brand-whores of the world. Are there any Filene's Basement coupons out there that I can use to make this more affordable?
confused.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FB's discounting strategy varies by store. In the Washington, D.C. area, Oxxford suits never go below $800. I think you may be able to stack a sales coupon on top of a sale. Get on the FB mailing list, and you will periodically receive coupons by snail mail and e-mail.

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Ugh. That's what I suspected. I remember in Boston at Filene's Basement they had a pricing strategy for which they were famous that automatically discounted clothing based on how long it had been on the rack.

I got on the FB emailing list a few weeks ago, but haven't received anything. I looked at the old coupons that have been posted on this forum, though, and they all claim not to be stackable with any other discounts.

Probably best that I just forget about this suit, I suppose.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle
Three weeks ago, I found the perfect suit at a Filene's Basement -- a solid navy 2-button Oxxford -- which fit me like a glove. This would be an absolute workhorse of a suit. The only problem is that the suit is priced at $1199 (which makes it $899 with the suit sale that they currently have going on).

There is no way that my wife is going to tolerate a $900 suit in light of the recent suit purchases I've made. I could, however, probably get away with it if were around $699 or so. I just called today and the suit is still there.

Here's the question -- is this suit going to keep getting marked down until they sell it, or is it just going to sit there until somebody takes it at $899? It is an unusual size and obviously not a brand that appeals to the brand-whores of the world. Are there any Filene's Basement coupons out there that I can use to make this more affordable?
confused.gif

Sign up for e-mail promos from FB on theri site. You will get discount coupons right away.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's the question -- is this suit going to keep getting marked down until they sell it, or is it just going to sit there until somebody takes it at $899?

There is an FB near me that has a rack of Oxxford, and in three years, I've never seen a clearance sale on them. They mark the suits down during their frequent suit sales, i.e. $200 off, but this usually cannot be combined with other coupons.

The good news is that turnover is pretty slow, so if you can't afford it now, you might be able to save and get it at a future sale.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The couple times I've spoken to a sales associate who actually knows anything about what goes on at FB, they've told me that higher-end stuff often gets shifted around between stores if it doesn't sell, rather than being marked down.

Based on experience, however, I've seen stuff like Oxxford suits sit for a year or more without being marked down, so coupons is your best bet.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got on the FB emailing list a few weeks ago, but haven't received anything. I looked at the old coupons that have been posted on this forum, though, and they all claim not to be stackable with any other discounts.
FB sales clerks don't always read the fine print. Take your suit to the youngest looking guy at the checkout counter and try to stack discounts.

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
I just signed up again for their email promotions and listed my birthday as next week. Maybe I'll get lucky.

minhi

Reaction score

confused.gif

I know $200 is a lot of money for most people (i think it's a lot), but in the grand scheme of things is it that much for a suit that really fits and you'd get a lot of wear out of?

If i had to convince my SO i'd look at other places i could cut $200 or agree to limit purchases for the next few months. I've never seen those suits at FB go below $900 or so and they are good quality.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Finding the perfect fit is damn hard. If you have found it, then buy. $800 for Oxxford isn't bad, either.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
Finding the perfect fit is damn hard. If you have found it, then buy. $800 for Oxxford isn't bad, either.

THIS!

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
THIS!

+1

NWT isnt that much cheaper on ebay. BTW, I always assumed that the NWT Oxxfords on eBay came from Filenes or is there some other source?

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a related note, how come FB never seems to get suits from their big hauls in the "Vault"? They get lots of nice sportscoats which, although overpriced at first, will go down, down, down if you wait long enough. Their suits pricing, however -- not part of the Vault -- does not budge.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
On a related note, how come FB never seems to get suits from their big hauls in the "Vault"? They get lots of nice sportscoats which, although overpriced at first, will go down, down, down if you wait long enough. Their suits pricing, however -- not part of the Vault -- does not budge.

I saw a couple dozen Brioni suits in the latest haul at the various NYC FBs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads