• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial temptations never taken

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
OK, I'll bite. Fail how?

Manton, while I believe FNB has every right to commission fugly turnback cuffs to his liking, the mere fact that his master tailor Nino and himself agree that that configuration is the most correct and excruciatingly difficult way to execute them does not make it a fact. It is only 2 opinions (shared) vs. countless observations.

Damn Manton, I just now realized that you so badly want a direct response from FNB that you actually addressed a question to me. Let it go or seek help. Either way, you owe me: why are u-throats also known as Adelaides?

medwards, those bespoke (Cleverley?) Adelaide imitation brogues you posted last month iiirc on that other forum are awesome. Why are u-throats also known as Adelaides?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Manton, while I believe FNB has every right to commission fugly turnback cuffs to his liking, the mere fact that his master tailor Nino and himself agree that that configuration is the most correct and excruciatingly difficult way to execute them does not make it a fact. It is only 2 opinions (shared) vs. countless observations.

Wait, I thought you were going to explain how I failed.
confused.gif

Damn Manton, I just now realized that you so badly want a direct response from FNB that you actually addressed a question to me. Let it go or seek help. Either way, you owe me: why are u-throats also known as Adelaides?
I asked one of the Cleverley guys this a long time ago, and he said he didn't know. Maybe they were popular in Adelaide, Australia 100 years ago. Maybe the original John Lobb had a mistress named Adelaide, and he named the style after her.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FNB, fugly turnback cuffs aside, I think you fail miserably in your attempt to substantiate your arguments. In your defense, you might not be the only one who does not realize how this thread played out. In accepting that I am not and will not be in the know, I have convinced myself that both Manton and FNB, along with other senior members are all part of some super secret organization and that their discussion of Greeks, ugly cuffs and railway stalking is codespeek for proper placement of satellites and troop movements.
Dear Wes, Take a step back with me. I was not trying to justify my cuffs, the thread was about something else entirely. The cuffs were merely an example of things people wanted to get made up and hadnt yet. The explanation of the cuffs were not my words, they were that of my tailor who is very knowledgeable. I do not consider myself a tailor, I do not dispense tailoring advice. True, the interest and decision to get cuffs were mine (and I like them) but I cant see that they are a big deal except to the extent that someone else wanted to make it a big deal. I am not part of any super secret anything on here, in many ways I get treated like an outsider. If my taking it all with some humor is a sign of aggression on my part, I dont know what to say, except that this subject isnt a big ego deal for me. Youre free to dislike my cuffs, frankly I want to be the only one wearing them, as long as you understand that when I lay down an explanantion, I have authority for it.
smile.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen the so-called "Flusser" version many many times, and this my first time seeing the FNB version. I don't know what that proves, if anything, but I would question FNB's contention that it is considered "junk in the industry."

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the Duke evidently ordered the "Flusser" style. He is called many things, and rightly so, but I'm not sure if liking "junk" clothing is one of them.

dukeou7.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I have seen the so-called "Flusser" version many many times, and this my first time seeing the FNB version. I don't know what that proves, if anything, but I would question FNB's contention that it is considered "junk in the industry."
Again, it was Nino Corvato who said that these Flusser cuffs were considered "junk" in the industry. He also said the other version were easier and cheaper to make and were thus more common, to the extent that turnbacks on sleeves are common at all.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, I thought you were going to explain how I failed.
confused.gif

No Manton, fwiw, you are only failing yourself. Your
confused.gif
is symptomatic of the urgent need for you to LET IT GO.

From pics I've seen you post, you seem to be impeccably attired. Your self professed dowdyness actually exhudes the understated elegance FNB aspires to. I don't know who your tailor is, but I think your work with him has yielded great results.

Thank you for your honest attempt at answering my Adelaide question. I will continue with my quest for a definitive answer.

Btw, is there an affordable OTR version of the BlazerSuit (tm) in either a 36S or slim fitting 38S?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83

Must learn to express myself like zjpj83.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No Manton, fwiw, you are only failing yourself. Your
confused.gif
is symptomatic of the urgent need for you to LET IT GO.

Would it make me look better in your eyes if I said that he started it and he's the one who keeps it going? No? How about if I said that I actually have fun responding to his taunts? Worse?

Ok, then.

Btw, is there an affordable OTR version of the BlazerSuit (tm) in either a 36S or slim fitting 38S?
I am out of touch with the world of OTR clothing, but if you can find a blue suit with patch pockets, just swap the buttons for brown horn. A full set will cost less than $20, and viola.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Again, it was Nino Corvato who said that these Flusser cuffs were considered "junk" in the industry.

He also said the other version were easier and cheaper to make and were thus more common, to the extent that turnbacks on sleeves are common at all.

Luke, I'm happy you have found your Yoda.
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm finishing a great Yankee lunch of martinis followed by a dry aged sirloin, and the thing that I love most about this thread us how it confirms how superior I am. Those of you who feel superior with me, raise your ferragamo linings!

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it make me look better in your eyes if I said that he started it and he's the one who keeps it going? No? How about if I said that I actually have fun responding to his taunts? Worse?

Ok, then.

Manton, in the highly unlikely event I should ever run into you on the train (I will not cross a border to make that happen) and recognize your headless self in all its dowdy splendor, I will come up to you and politely introduce myself and shake your hand. You are cool. If you try to grope me, I will bite you like a rabid dog.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you try to grope me, I will bite you like a rabid dog.
That's not how he operates. GHB in your drink. You wake up in a tub of ice 12 hours later with your spleen removed and your feet are strangely sore.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Yeah, who would believe any of these jackets were junk?

The style is certainly not to my taste, any more than your suit is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads