• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to start wearing a suit every day

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kohan
Oh, yeah. Interface, I have to call you out on the avatar. Can you give us the reasoning behind that? Because Mugabe is about as admirable as Milosevic or Pinochet, and combined with your new dress ethic it gives off a bit of a weird vibe.

+1. If you are looking to become a president-for-life, you should also check out the thread on suit-wearing in hot climates!

dirtysouth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
you should also check out the thread on suit-wearing in hot climates!

I think that is great advice. I live around Atlanta. It gets pretty hot in a suit around here.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Aren't African dictators issued light safari jackets as official uniform?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
"Dress clothes", by it's strict definition, means you wear full dress ie morning dress and then change into white tie when you go out in the evening. If that is what you do, I tip my hat to you, Sir.

I fall far short of that ideal and merely wear a coat and tie whenever I go out of the house - even if it is just to buy a newspaper on the weekend. After a while, you and everyone around you, gets used to it.

I should know better then to make the mistake here. I do know the definition, so apoligize for using the term to mean somehting different. I mean to say say, suit and tie or coat tie daily.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i wear suits and odd jackets most of the week and the weekend.

Ties....not as often, maybe 1 or 2 days a week usually, this week alot more since i just bought a new one i like.

I think you'll find that if you have odd jackets and slacks, open collars, ect then its a look you can wear daily and rarely look soo out of place as wearing suits daily.

lordofpi

Reaction score
I am another one who wears a suit and tie everyday, though I am not required. I am "dressed down" if seen in a sport coat and odd trousers. Nevertheless, if lounging about the house with no guests, my shoes, jacket, and tie (if not shirt (I always have on an undershirt)) all come off. Hell, even Mr. Rogers took his jacket and shoes off when he was in the 'Hood.

The aforementioned having been said, I too agree that this concept of just one day up-and-changing from Tommy Bahama to suits is way too affected -- especially for a student. If you see yourself wearing suits after you graduate, I see no problem pursuing your own style (so long as you do not have a manual labor job). School is a very communal atmosphere, much different from adulthood where individualism is much more viable. Breaking form in so severe a way is likely to single you out, and probably not in a good way.

As other posters have intimated, people find it very peculiar when someone acts or does something one way for seemly ever, and then one day breaks the pattern and does something severely different. They may think you a blowhard, or worse -- they may think you are starting to loose it. Before you know it, BAM, you'll be in a padded cell strapped to a bed, and the Terminator'll be coming to get you. I've seen it a thousand times. Just remember to hold that paper clip in your mouth so you can unlock the cuffs and get the hell out of there. But I digress.

For now, start by adding nice trousers into your rotation. Phase in a lot of buttondown dress shirts and dress shoes. Throw in an odd jacket very now and then such as when going out. Once this is established (i.e., people are used to it, and you know enough new people in this time that they don't know you any other way; this will probably take a year or more), you can start throwing in the ties here and there, and eventually phase in a few suits.

18908824.jpg

sanrensho

Reaction score
My uncle is a congressman, and since being elected to office many years ago, I have NEVER seen him in anything other than a suit, tie and suspenders on any day or night of the week. He is one of the coolest guys I have ever met.

But...wearing a suit/tie while lounging around the house? That is just plain strange.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sanrensho
My uncle is a congressman, and since being elected to office many years ago, I have NEVER seen him in anything other than a suit, tie and suspenders on any day or night of the week. He is one of the coolest guys I have ever met.

But...wearing a suit/tie while lounging around the house? That is just plain strange.

I'm glad to hear this. I've seen too many politicians who seem to want to all too often dress like Joe the Plumber.

Interface

Reaction score
Thanks for great tips everyone. Really appreciated.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm glad to hear this. I've seen too many politicians who seem to want to all too often dress like Joe the Plumber.

Even those that don't look like they're dressing like Joe the Plumber end up looking not much better than him in their way too large suits and ugly (or just too plain) ties. I've spent a lot of time around politicians and its rare to find one that knows how to dress well, especially on the right side of the aisle.

gentleman amateur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Interface
Greetings.

I want to start wearing a suit and a tie every day. Even when I'm not working. Even when I'm just sitting at home. Even when I go to school. I want to do it because it looks good.

But I have only one problem: I have for a very long time always found it rather uncomfortable to have a tie on. Feels less freedom around the neck if you know what I mean.

Still, as time goes on I want this to be my new signature, "the guy who only wears suits and has never been seen without a tie on".

My question is: Is there anyone here who wears suit/tie every day? Will I get used to it with time? How long will it take getting used to?

Regards,
Interface.

I admire your choosing to be a well-dressed man and not a slob. But if you look at Flusser, Apparel Arts, Connery's Bond, Cary Grant, you needn't wear a suit and tie every day and be sartorially exceptional. And if you can afford correctly done bespoke, even better. Certainly better than most Americans nowadays, including Obama and McCain.

Originally Posted by PaoloM
Try the Tom Ford look. No tie during the day, and that man looks amazingly classy!

Tom Ford and his suits look good, but tie-less is usually classless IMHO. An exception is Cary Grant in The Philadelphia Story at the end, in which he is wearing an odd jacket and trousers at the house of his former and future father-in-law.

Star

Reaction score
Although I personally couldn't wear a suite all the time I take my had off to you for your intent.

fashionsnob

Reaction score
I wear suit and tie everyday and yes you will get used to it quite quickly.

I bet it is not so much the tie that bothers you but the collar. Buy shirts that don't fit too tight around your neck. Also tell your drycleaner to go easy on the starch as this will iritate your skin on your neck.

Hope this helps out...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads