• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some help with winter essentials

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
desert boots in the snow/slush is a horrible idea, your feet will be cold and wet in a matter of minutes

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
desert boots in the snow/slush is a horrible idea, your feet will be cold and wet in a matter of minutes

Serious... walking around in them while it was raining was bad. I can't even imagine how bad snow would be.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if anyone finds something like the LLBEAN boot, in BLACK
please let me know
as llbean only comes in brown

Brutus

Reaction score
I'm in love with these so I'm going to suggest you save up a little more and buy them... The Alden Indy boot is warm (lined), comfy and works well in the rain because the soles are rubber-esque. I haven't tried them in the snow yet but if it's bad enough I'd suggest you just strap on some crampons. Besides, the more you use and abuse them, the better they'll look!

frankster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brutus
I'm in love with these so I'm going to suggest you save up a little more and buy them...

The Alden Indy boot is warm (lined), comfy and works well in the rain because the soles are rubber-esque. I haven't tried them in the snow yet but if it's bad enough I'd suggest you just strap on some crampons. Besides, the more you use and abuse them, the better they'll look!

I don't know where exactly the OP is from in New England, but this is what we deal with on a regular basis in Montreal (New England's weather is similar I hear):

02.06%20snowstorm_cars.JPG

Those boots you're suggesting look good, but I don't think they're appropriate for snow...

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Honestly if I lived in a place that recieved that much snow, I would just place my goal towards functionality. No one's going to be admiring whatever boots you have on when you're outside, they'll just care about getting to where they need to and not freezing their nuts off in the process.

Carry a pair to wherever you're going inside if you want to look good when your inside.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh wow that photo is getting me excited for winter.

Serg

Reaction score
2382007114927888Logger8G_BLACK_zoom.jpg

fyre loggers?

I use them for snow. Waxed leather is very durable.

frankster

Reaction score
^ I agree. Personally I prefer boots without a heel as sidewalks usually get cluttered with snow and it's harder to keep yourself balanced with heels on. They look sturdy enough though.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frankster
I don't know where exactly the OP is from in New England, but this is what we deal with on a regular basis in Montreal (New England's weather is similar I hear):

02.06%20snowstorm_cars.JPG

Those boots you're suggesting look good, but I don't think they're appropriate for snow...

lol, nothing like that, but thanks everyone so far with the responses. I REALLY like the Alden Indys, but if I spent $320 on shoes my mom would kick me out of the house immediately.

Brutus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
lol, nothing like that, but thanks everyone so far with the responses. I REALLY like the Alden Indys, but if I spent $320 on shoes my mom would kick me out of the house immediately.

Tell her they'll outlast you. And if she's an Obama supporter tell her they're made in the US.

Reaction score

phildo

Reaction score
I don't think boots that hardcore are necessary for Toronto which only gets 133cm of snow a year (according to wikipedia). But those boots would be useful for the occasional snow storm or shoveling. The cold temperatures are more of a problem than snow in my opinion.

I'm also looking for some winter boots suitable for Toronto. Any suggestions for boots that can handle low snowfall amounts?

korce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr

I wore desert boots through a lot of last winter (in Toronto) in rain, snow, slush, etc. and they have held up surprisingly well. I have black suede ones, and waterproofed them once when I first bought them. While not super-warm, the crepe sole does a good job of insulating against the cold ground, so the cold from the sidewalk doesn't transfer easily into the shoe.

They're not perfect from a traction perspective - but they have certainly stood up to the snow & rain and I'm still wearing the same pair on a regular basis.

With that said, I'm not afraid to throw on my old school leather sorels (with the faux shearling cuff) if it's really snowy out. Those have stood the test of time, I've had them for probably 10 years now and still going strong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads