• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Book on herbs and spices?

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been getting interested in herbs lately and internet has served me well in this hobby, but now I'm looking for something off-line. Sadly, most books in the bookstores are your average jane 6-pack books, all discussing the same old basil and oregano. I want that too, but I also want the more obscure herbs like florentine fennel and hyssop.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
I've been getting interested in herbs lately and internet has served me well in this hobby, but now I'm looking for something off-line. Sadly, most books in the bookstores are your average jane 6-pack books, all discussing the same old basil and oregano. I want that too, but I also want the more obscure herbs like florentine fennel and hyssop.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

You mean growing them? Egullet has a gardening/greenhouse forum iirc.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You mean growing them? Egullet has a gardening/greenhouse forum iirc.

My home situation sadly does not allow for growing at the moment (college student). I'm more interested in the various health benefits and uses.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Herbs grow very easily. Even I can maintain an herb garden, and if I can, anyone can.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
My home situation sadly does not allow for growing at the moment (college student). I'm more interested in the various health benefits and uses.

Herbs will grow in a window box or small pot. Start with some chives, they can be grown from seed all year round.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jerry Traunfeld's books, the Herbfarm Cookbook and The Herbal Kitchen, are probably your best bet. When Traunfeld was the chef at the Herbfarm Restaurant, he garnered a lot of national acclaim for the way he incorporated herbs into his dishes. Although, be prepared as he really loves to use lemon thyme a lot in his recipes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads