• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fuzzy cashmere

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps someone can help me with this. I have about seven pure cashmere jackets, four navy in various weights. Two are smooth Loro Piana but one I had MTM by Corneliani is midweight of a cloth - Columbo from memory - which is sort of fuzzy (no pilling) when you look closely at it.
Does this mean it's inferior in some way? The coat is incredibly comfortable as it's so pliable.

Thanks

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you cut them up into squares and hand-roll the edges, they'd make ideal pocket squares for me
smile.gif

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Not exactly the reply I was hoping for.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
Thanks. Not exactly the reply I was hoping for.

How bad is the fuzz? It seems that a little buzz would just add character.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not at all bad really and has been with the jacket since new. I guess I'm the only one who's conscious of it. Just wondering if it means the cloth is not so great, although it feels marvellous to the touch.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not at all bad really and has been with the jacket since new. I guess I'm the only one who's conscious of it. Just wondering if it means the cloth is not so great, although it feels marvellous to the touch.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me you have nothing to worry about. If it was poor quality, and it was always fuzzy, it would have pilled by now, no?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pilling. You're making me feel better already!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No pilling. You're making me feel better already!

Well, I think you should. Pilling is caused by short fibers, right? So if you have a fuzzy cashmere and no pilling, it implies to me that the fibers are long, the fuzz is purposeful, and the fabric is well made.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
close-up photos would help!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Italians in particular are notorious for weaving their expensive fibres (cashmere and super wools) on looser weave settings to give it a soft, and spongy ('luxurious') feeling. That is probably the main reason for the hand of the cloth. It is almost certainly carded cashmere rather than worsted. In due course, the cloth may start to pill or else the coat may lose shape.

Quality English or Scottish cashmere is tightly woven and feels as solid as a rock. The ability to gain control over the cloth quality alone is sufficient reason to go bespoke.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, I think you should. Pilling is caused by short fibers, right? So if you have a fuzzy cashmere and no pilling, it implies to me that the fibers are long, the fuzz is purposeful, and the fabric is well made.

Yes, it could be deliberately finished to have a rough surface. However, you cannot tell the fibre length from the description given. Worsted cashmere needs long fibres so they can be spun and tends to result in a smoother cloth. Only really bad carded cashmere uses the short, nasty scraps of waste to make cloth that pills like crazy. Even if a cashmere had medium length fibres in them, if the cloth is light, carded and woven on loose settings, it will eventually pill or lose shape.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I actually chose all the fabrics for my MTM Cornelianis from their swatch books, it just didn't seem this loose (I guess is the word) when I picked it. The others are all very tightly woven, whether winter or summer weight.

theoldadage

Reaction score
I have a bespoke sportcoat in a worsted cashmere by Scabal, and while it isn't as tightly woven as some, it hasnt piled at all yet. The fuzziness gives it character and, if you are concerned, a hint for those in the know. I would from experience be more concerned about putting it by anything that might pull the fabric, zippers, dresses with things embroidered on (though hopefully worn by someone else)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads