• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need opinions on which suit to wear to a wedding

jasshopper

Reaction score
got a wedding to attend...don't really know the couple too well so I'm not particularly worried about the all black look...but still value this forum's opinions...

Picture243.jpg

Or

Picture252.jpg

R-H

Reaction score
The outfit in the 2nd pic is much more appropriate for a wedding than the all black look.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much time do you have before the wedding -- this weekend?

In these pictures, the black jacket looks like it fits you better.

Option 1:

The black suit, but change: white shirt and get a wedding tie, and a white linen or cream silk pocket square. Also bring up the jacket sleeves so some shirt cuff shoes. Examine the What Are You Wearing Right Now thread for numerous examples.

You don't show the trousers, but with your sleeves that long, I'm guessing your trousers are going to be too long as well. Again, see the What Are You Wearing Right Now thread for examples of little to no break trousers.

Option 2:

Gray suit, but change the tie to a smaller knot and add a white linen pocket square. Bring up the jacket sleeves (same as above) and the trousers, if my guess is correct.

If the wedding is tomorrow and these are your two options, I say the second one, as it is less obnoxious.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look as if those poor minimum wage retail mortgage brokers/tellers in the first picture. AFAIK only people of that class wears black on black on black. A simple white shirt and a solid black tie will make you look better.

BTW, are both of your suits bought long? The button stance looks very wierd on both and it appears that you have shortened the skirt length quite a bit without proportionately altering sleeves length.

jasshopper

Reaction score
both suits are regular. I have trouble finding suits that fit properly...I wear a 36r and can't really find that cut anywhere. Sleeves are always long tho....

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
You look as if those poor minimum wage retail mortgage brokers/tellers in the first picture. AFAIK only people of that class wears black on black on black. A simple white shirt and a solid black tie will make you look better.

With a black suit? Hah, what is it:

a) wedding?
b) funeral?

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, time out.

jasshopper

Reaction score
ok...this is it...simple enough...and yes...the tie is crooked...3:30 in the AM and not paying attention 100%.

black suit
silver "wedding" tie (thanks binge)

Picture256.jpg

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what time is the wedding?

IMO he 2nd one is the best, but if it is very formal & or evening then the last one.

But most importantly you need some help with you knot tying..

Go a fraction tighter & maybe stick with a FIH.

Good luck.

Chigu

Reaction score
If it's for the reception then definitely the black suit. The look is more fun and trendy, whereas the grey suit looks too business like. I'm assuming the couple are in their 20's or early 30's?? (sorry if I'm wrong, just an assumption). You're not going there to finalize a merger, you're going there to drink and have fun.

Note; If it's for the wedding, the black on black is inappropriate.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chigu
If it's for the reception then definitely the black suit. The look is more fun and trendy, whereas the grey suit looks too business like. I'm assuming the couple are in their 20's or early 30's?? (sorry if I'm wrong, just an assumption). You're not going there to finalize a merger, you're going there to drink and have fun.

Note; If it's for the wedding, the black on black is inappropriate.

read too much GQ?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasshopper
ok...this is it...simple enough...and yes...the tie is crooked...3:30 in the AM and not paying attention 100%.

black suit
silver "wedding" tie (thanks binge)

Picture256.jpg

Much better, a dimple in the tie would be a good addition.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add a pocketsquare.

A pocketsquare always makes anyone looks well put together.

TheGreek

Reaction score
I would choose choice #1, but change the tie to either a white or red tie.(solid colors-no designs)

Sebastian

Reaction score
There is never an excuse for a black shirt (except you are Italian and wear it for political reasons)!

Go with the grey suit, as unfortunately there is hardly an excuse for a black suit neither.

I like the esemble in pic 2. Change the tie knot to a nice four in hand knot and add a white linen pocket square. Oh, and shorten the sleeves on the suit of course!

If you decide you will go with the black one:
The white shirt, silver tie combination looks Ok, but also change the points I mentioned above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads