• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish way to carry an SLR?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The original factory-supplied leather cases:

stereo1.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Given the ugliness of DSLRs these days, I've resigned myself to looking like a well dressed tourist. I carry it bare, over the shoulder across the chest and will eventually switch the strap for something nicer. Maybe in leather instead of "CANON EOS DIGITAL SLR OF THE FUTURE" in nylon.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Oh jeez. He was clearly asking for a recommendation or ideas. Apparently I'm the only one who can put their camera elitism aside for a moment to offer a recommendation. So be it. I will not get into a faulty logic argument with you about how nobody can ever ask for or receive anyone else's opinions because nobody has the same tastes. Evidently, it takes a superior intellect to gauge such a request on its own merits and make a reasonable suggestion. I'm glad to say that I can do such a thing, and that I can recognize the difference between being helpful and arguing semantics and avoiding the entire point of the thread.
Um, well, yes, he was asking for a recommendation, idea, or if people's opinions IF it was possible -- my reply was that it wasn't possible, and you jump all over me. Pardon me for expressing my opinion that's contrary to yours. Asking for a way to carry around an SLR without looking like a tourist or photogeek is like the OP asking if there's a stylish way to wear an Bluetooth headset -- the instant you put the headset on, you're not stylish. And quite frankly, reading some of the posts, it seems like other SLR users have also accepted the fact that once you have an SLR out, there's no way to avoid the "tourist" look. Really, the only way to avoid that look would be to go the exact opposite way and look like a pro-photog.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's got to be some other stuff around though. I'm positively shocked that nobody on this forum has any better suggestions for more stylish carrying cases.

Actually, LabelKing did make a far more stylish suggestion which was overlooked, and that was using a vintage leather case, or even having one made. That would certainly trump a canvas bag that makes you look like you're about to go fly fishing. But again, once that large SLR comes out...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Um, well, yes, he was asking for a recommendation, idea, or if people's opinions IF it was possible -- my reply was that it wasn't possible, and you jump all over me. Pardon me for expressing my opinion that's contrary to yours. Asking for a way to carry around an SLR without looking like a tourist or photogeek is like the OP asking if there's a stylish way to wear an Bluetooth headset -- the instant you put the headset on, you're not stylish. And quite frankly, reading some of the posts, it seems like other SLR users have also accepted the fact that once you have an SLR out, there's no way to avoid the "tourist" look. Really, the only way to avoid that look would be to go the exact opposite way and look like a pro-photog.
Heh, Its not that I have a problem with your opinion, its that I have a problem with your attitude. If you had said "I don't believe that there are any camera bags in the world that look stylish" or "SLR's are inherently unstylish and ugly" that would have been your opinion. Of course, it would have been an opinion that was very well covered in this thread already. That isn't what you said. Of course. You didn't even address the OP's question originally. You went on about how much gear you carry, and how unrealistic (for most people) a scenario you claim to be in where its impossible for YOU to be stylish. That wasn't an opinion, that was a diversion. Hell, even the weight issue is kind of ridiculous. It sort of makes me wonder what you all are carrying in your bags if a camera, a couple of lenses, a flash, and some peripherals are weighing 20lbs. Even the beefiest Canon DSLR like the 1DS Mk III, and a pro series telephoto lens in a "normal use" range like the Canon EF 70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS USM (combo pictured below) weigh around seven pounds together. With a flash, and even two more non-telephoto IS lenses, an extra battery, some filters, and the bag, you'd still be short of 20lbs.
smile.gif
2674549954_bfec03a57f.jpg
And yes, this thing is a monstrosity. If you are trying to carry that setup around, it will be nearly impossible to do so stylishly. On the other hand, a Leica R3 or one of the new Olympus E-420's which are incredibly small and light for a full featured SLR camera, a couple decent lenses, filters, battery, and flash will come in under 10lbs. Easily. Hell, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a 10+ lb bag for a Nikon D90 or a Canon 5D Unless you are carrying thirty or fourty rolls of film with you, or hundreds of media cards, or a hard drive... I'm not sure what you guys are complaining about. I think these are relatively beautiful machines. I wouldn't hesitate to call the Leica Stylish. I think the Oly is pretty unobtrusive and classic at the least.
r3.jpg
olympus_e420.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't leave anything be, can you Slim? I think you're getting a little carried away.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Rumors of film's death have been much exaggerated.

I maintain that one can be stylish with a classic film camera, but that this is very difficult with any DSLR.
fight[1].gif

omg, film is, like, soooo 2007. all the cool people already switched from film to digital, back to film, and now back to digital again. get with the times bro.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's got to be some other stuff around though. I'm positively shocked that nobody on this forum has any better suggestions for more stylish carrying cases.
If one just plans to use a walk around kit i.e. a prime or small to medium telephoto lens, the Crumpler Prettyboy is a nice alternative.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old guy photographing tourists outside St. Peter's in Rome:
DSC01829.jpg

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
39050916.Damond600mm.jpg

This could be made stylish if I could get LK to make me a leopard-skin cover for it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Can't leave anything be, can you Slim? I think you're getting a little carried away.

I'm just curious. Seriously, what are you guys carrying that weighs so much that you'd need a full on backpack? I can't think of anything realistic other than carrying like five different telephoto lenses that would weigh so much you couldn't just use a shoulder bag. Two lenses is what... three and a half to four pounds? Camera body on even an all-metal 1970's SLR is two and a half pounds or less.

The Rolleiflex that labelking keeps posting is less than three pounds.

Just wondering. Where is all your weight coming from?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
If one just plans to use a walk around kit i.e. a prime or small to medium telephoto lens, the Crumpler Prettyboy is a nice alternative.

Thats not bad... but its really more of a SW&D look.

CrumplerPrettyBoyBag.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My girlfriend has a film SLR and just got a DSLR. She just carries them in a tote wrapped in some felt shoe dustbags I gave her.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm just curious. Seriously, what are you guys carrying that weighs so much that you'd need a full on backpack? I can't think of anything realistic other than carrying like five different telephoto lenses that would weigh so much you couldn't just use a shoulder bag. Two lenses is what... three and a half to four pounds? Camera body on even an all-metal 1970's SLR is two and a half pounds or less.

The Rolleiflex that labelking keeps posting is less than three pounds.

Just wondering. Where is all your weight coming from?

Right now i'm still ok with my lowepro slingshot 100 to carry the E-3, 12-60mm 2.8-3.5, 40-150 kit lens, fl-50r and batteries for camera and flash. I find that the bag is heavy since I upgraded to the e-3 and 12-60. However, in the near future (already have some of this stuff ordered), the bag will additionally contain: the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5, 50mm f2, 7-14mm f/4, and EC-14. That's about 10-11 lbs. Walking around with 10 lbs unevenly distributed all day would be uncomfortable for me. And before I go on my safari trip, I'll be adding either the 90-250 f/2.8 or the 300mm f/2.8, which each weigh just over 7 lbs. So potentially, in a couple years, my kit could easily weigh 15lbs on a given day. In the near term it will be 10 or 11lbs.

I won't speak for roikins, but pros often carry two bodies so they don't have to worry about lens changes if they need something longer or shorter in a hurry, so I can easily see where he'd get his weight from.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads