• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish way to carry an SLR?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Scott Schuman does a good job at this I think.

He doesnt look good to begin with..

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a Victorinox Swiss Army backpack, similar to this for my DSLR and extras:

tg_32361_sol_a02.jpg

When I want to carry everything, including extra lenses and stuff, I use it.

When I only have my DSLR with the kit lens I use a small Lowepro case.

Neither is very stylish.

AAMOF most of my photography is done with Sony CyberShot DSC T1000 which is a nice little pocket size camera.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I cannot imagine spending several hours walking around with a strap that only goes over one shoulder. Good camera equipment is heavy. It's one thing if you have a plastic prosumer camera and kit lenses, but good glass is heavy. Not to mention, i've owned a messenger bag in the past, and it bounces around on you in a way that's really annoying. I just find it completely uncomfortable. I'd rather look like a tourist than be uncomfortable all day. Maybe if I had meatier shoulders I would feel differently, but even the current weight of equipment in my LowePro is annoying. Besides, I'm really not concerned with looking styling when i go out with my camera. I don't wear my good clothes because the rub of the bags creates too much wear. And to address your other question about fumbling around, the LowePros are compartmentalized.
^^ That pretty much describes what I do. I carry a Domke bag very similar to that Billingham, it's compartmentalized for two bodies and four lenses, plus a flashgun and other 'stuff' (mostly that I don't carry when not shooting film). Typically it hangs just over the one shoulder, and it just takes a sort of shrug to have it swing around in front of me for lens changes, etc. Yeah, it gets tiring after a good while. Ten years ago I carried it around all day with me in D.C., plus a fullsize Bogen tripod on the other shoulder. I don't do that too often anymore. These days I have a little black messenger bag that just holds my D200 body and 2-3 lenses depending on what they are. I have a photog vest which I also wear sometimes, but my Brooks safari jacket has been seeing a lot of use in that role these days since it looks so much better. ~ Huntsman

Brian SD

Reaction score
It's probably more about what you're wearing and how you look, your facial expression, and the way you walk around than it is your equipment. Polo shirts, basketball/running/tennies shoes and safari shorts should be out of the mix.

I have a Uniqlo backpack that I use for everything, and when I've got my camera I use it for that too. I can't imagine needing to carry around extra batteries in any situation that I'm usually shooting in, and with 4gb SD, the need to carry an extra card is minimal as well. I do use only one lens (a super zoom), but I think street photography lends itself to a single focal length anyway, so lens swapping seems unnecessary, except for switching between a 50mm and a super-wide, and both of these are small enough that you don't need some crazy bag to hold them in.

The more minimal you go, the more you'll look like you just dropped out of your apartment for an hour or two to take some photos, the less like you just got out of your business hotel. Of course, living in Asia, not looking like a tourist is damn near impossible. But you can still do your best to mitigate things such as this and come off looking cool instead of dorky.

Also, TS, I think you are the only person in this thread who actually answered the OPs question.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Depends on how much kit you have. The more you have, the harder it's going to be to look stylish. I don't even worry about it, however it's the only time you'll ever see me with a backpack when I'm not hiking. I don't think i've ever seen a particularly attractive camera bag though. I'm sure this si the real reason nantucket shoots with a film leica.
devil.gif

You should have seen me yesterday with my MP and M kit bag on one shoulder and my Leicaflex SL2 and (considerably larger and heavier) R kit bag on the other. Other than my not being dressed like a slob, I think rather than thinking me stylish, anybody would have thought I was bloody serious about getting the best photos possible.

I also don't put down my bags while I'm walking around shooting. I carry everything all the time.

But to the original question. Can you look stylish while using an SLR? Probably not, though it depends on the camera. A Nikon F with non-metering prism is stylish. Otherwise, the only stylish camera is a Leica rangefinder. The only way to carry a camera and still be stylish is by using only one lens and not carrying your entire kit.

Oh, and GQgeek, I got into Leica for the optical quality, which never ceases to amaze me. Stylishness is only a fringe benefit.
bigstar[1].gif
devil.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Rolleiflex is the most stylish camera to carry around. Some may balk at its size, but they do work as street cameras once you are experienced with their unique dynamic. They also work with 35mm film if you have the factory adapter.

20070218ho_SammyJerry_230.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
You should have seen me yesterday with my MP and M kit bag on one shoulder and my Leicaflex SL2 and (considerably larger and heavier) R kit bag on the other. Other than my not being dressed like a slob, I think rather than thinking me stylish, anybody would have thought I was bloody serious about getting the best photos possible.

I also don't put down my bags while I'm walking around shooting. I carry everything all the time.

But to the original question. Can you look stylish while using an SLR? Probably not, though it depends on the camera. A Nikon F with non-metering prism is stylish. Otherwise, the only stylish camera is a Leica rangefinder. The only way to carry a camera and still be stylish is by using only one lens and not carrying your entire kit.

Oh, and GQgeek, I got into Leica for the optical quality, which never ceases to amaze me. Stylishness is only a fringe benefit.
bigstar[1].gif
devil.gif

I bust your balls but I think you take great photos with your antiquated kit.
worship.gif

I envy you Tokyo though. It seems like you can just walk around and there are always interesting photos to be taken. Montreal feels so blah to me. Can't wait till I leave for South America.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
The Rolleiflex is the most stylish camera to carry around. Some may balk at its size, but they do work as street cameras once you are experienced with their unique dynamic. They also work with 35mm film if you have the factory adapter.

20070218ho_SammyJerry_230.jpg

I actually saw an asian girl shooting with one of those a couple weeks ago when I was out shooting by the canal. I actually thought, "if LK liked women, she would be perfect for him."

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't think there is any stylish way to carry an SLR. You are carrying a large camera, it is obvious to everyone. I don't bother with trying to look good while doing it, rather, I use the camera as I need to and then put it back in its bag.

As someone who owns a DSLR but doesn't own a point-and-shoot (and should probably get one) this is just my opinion. Generally I don't use the DSLR all that much anymore simply because it's too impractical to carry along with its various lenses.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
No, I think you did miss the point. The OP isn't asking whether or not it exists for YOU, the professional sideline sports photographer. The OP was asking whether or not such a thing exists for HIM the regular person who walks around with a camera and wants to take pictures of cool stuff he may encounter.

Whether or not you can use one is besides the point. The fact that such a thing is of no use to you is not relevant.

Well, if he's asking for HIM, then it doesn't matter what anyone has to say, because everyone has various personal style beliefs. To you, walking around with a little case to carry your SLR in to hide until use might be stylish, but to someone else, or even the OP, sauntering around with the SLR hanging along his side might be more stylish. In any case, he also asked "Or are you doomed to look like either a tourist or photogeek?" If you pull out an SLR to take photos in public, and you don't have a load of equipment set-up, you will likely not be seen as a pro, but rather as a tourist or photogeek, so it's not really about how you carry the camera or in what you carry it, because once the SLR is out, you will likely be seen as a tourist or photogeek... might as well embrace that.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I bust your balls but I think you take great photos with your antiquated kit.
worship.gif

I envy you Tokyo though. It seems like you can just walk around and there are always interesting photos to be taken. Montreal feels so blah to me. Can't wait till I leave for South America.

Thanks.

As for antiquated, well, my 1975 Leicaflex arguably is. However, it has a far brighter viewfinder than any modern DSLR I've seen. This amazes friends with brand new DSLRs.
boxing[1].gif

Then again, I don't see them jumping ship.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Various people have been predicting the demise of the rangefinder for decades now, but the Leica MP has developed cult status and even has its own Wikipedia page (go ahead, you know you want to check). Over on the L-Camera Forum (Leica Users' Forum), there is a surprising number of people who are going back to film from digital. The M2 (1958-67) is still immensely popular and people are still using the old screw-mount Leicas. Talk about stylish!

Rumors of film's death have been much exaggerated.

I maintain that one can be stylish with a classic film camera, but that this is very difficult with any DSLR.
fight[1].gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Well, if he's asking for HIM, then it doesn't matter what anyone has to say, because everyone has various personal style beliefs.

Oh jeez.

He was clearly asking for a recommendation or ideas. Apparently I'm the only one who can put their camera elitism aside for a moment to offer a recommendation. So be it.

I will not get into a faulty logic argument with you about how nobody can ever ask for or receive anyone else's opinions because nobody has the same tastes. Evidently, it takes a superior intellect to gauge such a request on its own merits and make a reasonable suggestion. I'm glad to say that I can do such a thing, and that I can recognize the difference between being helpful and arguing semantics and avoiding the entire point of the thread.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I envy you Tokyo though. It seems like you can just walk around and there are always interesting photos to be taken.
All you have to do is keep your eyes open. People take things that they see every day for granted. All it takes is to look at something, anything, and appreciate its art.Whether its a building, a lake, a homeless person, a pigeon crapping on a car, or whatever. If your eyes are a camera, then there is always something to take a picture of. edit: That sounds ridiculously cheesy. I should be a teacher or something.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Well, Slim, if it's any consolation, nobody's topped your Billingham suggestion. They pretty much set the standard.

There's got to be some other stuff around though. I'm positively shocked that nobody on this forum has any better suggestions for more stylish carrying cases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads