• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do with a destroyed sweater

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My favorite sweater died today. It was a navy merino sweater with a second layer of orange coming up in the collar (making it look layered without being actually layered...great for me since I get too hot). It was made by Italtempo and while it wasnt the nicest sweater in the world, I liked how it looked.

I gave all of my non-cotton sweaters a handwash today in preparation for colder weather and upon laying this one out to dry I found 2 dime-sized holes, one in the front and one in the back but about 3 inches apart. I hadn't seen them before (almost wore it yesterday and didnt see them) but it is possible that they were small and got opened up more in the process of washing them. I see no evidence of moths so I have no idea...maybe a mouse chewed through it last night (it ended up on the floor between my bed and the wall before washing)...who knows

My real question is what can I do with it? It isn't worth trying to repair (filenes basement special) but it is still a big chunk of navy merino... do I:
-cut the sleeves short and use it as a bike jersey?
-drop it off at goodwill and see if anyone can appreciate it despite the damage
or my current favorite:
-cut up into strips and try to turn into some sort of a scarf. I am not sure exactly how to go about this but it might be doable

emptym

Reaction score
Since I hate to throw things away, I think this is a good question. I might patch the sweater and wear it casually.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Perhaps you cut some more holes in your sweater and donate it to Eric Glennie; it could serve as a creative follow-up to his latest endeavor.

nest.gif

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Sounds like the holes aren't too big, so you might take the sweater to a re-weavers. Still, it probably won't be cheap.

The last time I checked, my local re-weaver charged $40.00 per hole. Usually if I find a hole from a moth or similar creature there is more than one so it is seldom worth doing.

Cheers, Jim.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
My favorite sweater died today. It was a navy merino sweater with a second layer of orange coming up in the collar (making it look layered without being actually layered...great for me since I get too hot). It was made by Italtempo and while it wasnt the nicest sweater in the world, I liked how it looked.

I gave all of my non-cotton sweaters a handwash today in preparation for colder weather and upon laying this one out to dry I found 2 dime-sized holes, one in the front and one in the back but about 3 inches apart. I hadn't seen them before (almost wore it yesterday and didnt see them) but it is possible that they were small and got opened up more in the process of washing them. I see no evidence of moths so I have no idea...maybe a mouse chewed through it last night (it ended up on the floor between my bed and the wall before washing)...who knows

My real question is what can I do with it? It isn't worth trying to repair (filenes basement special) but it is still a big chunk of navy merino... do I:
-cut the sleeves short and use it as a bike jersey?
-drop it off at goodwill and see if anyone can appreciate it despite the damage
or my current favorite:
-cut up into strips and try to turn into some sort of a scarf. I am not sure exactly how to go about this but it might be doable

I have a couple of moth damaged wool sweaters that I use to wear under my bike jersey in cool weather. I still need the regular jersey for the pockets.

I have another sweater that I just sewed the hole shut and it looks fine. It helps that the hole was in the pit area and it's a ribbed knit.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd just get some navy thread and patch it up. The material will pull together easily. I see nothing wrong with this for a casual sweater. In fact, RL would charge a premium for a sweater created to look like this.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
I'd just get some navy thread and patch it up. The material will pull together easily. I see nothing wrong with this for a casual sweater. In fact, RL would charge a premium for a sweater created to look like this.
I agree, patch it up. I've done this before, and it works fine. Besides, the sweater will now have a bit more character.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patch it or (my solution) cut off the sleeves and stuff your dress shoes in them when you travel

TheDroog

Reaction score
Or you could just wear it as is.

I have a couple of wool sweaters that I wear casually that have small holes here and there on the cuffs and on the neck; they're some of my favorite sweaters because I've obviously worn the hell out of them.

One of my friends wore out huge holes at the elbows of his favorite sweater -- we're talking 3-4 inches in diameter. You could see his shirt material under the holes, and all in all it was a cool, careless look for a cool, careless guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads