• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yung

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading these forums for a while now and it has inspired me to upgrade my wardrobe.

I want to get my first dress shoes and have decided on a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. The problem is I am living in Perth, Australia and I don't know of any place where I could try them on around here. However, there is an RM Williams store in the city here.

After reading Sator's conversions, I thought maybe I could find my correct size in RM Williams, and convert it to the AE Park Avenue size and order them online. Would this work? Which boots should I try on to get the most accurate sizing for Park Avenues?

Thank you for your assistance.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yung, I think the craftsman is most like the park avenue. The turnout has a round toe.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mugnut Can someone in Australia call RM Williams customer service and get their answer to the size question?
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
why don't you call the ny store?
I called the NY store and was told the boots "most definitely" get longer from whole size to half size. Here is my sizing experience. I'm a 10E in the Allen Edmonds I often wear (Mora, Macneil), but I'm not a good fit for the narrow Park Avenue & I don't know if the 10E or the 10.5D would be a better size for me. Since the general advice here is PA minus one, I had to choose between the 9G and the 9.5G. I bought a 9G Turnout in Kangaroo. I wear a 10D in Alden's Trubalance and Clark's Desert Boot. Those are pretty good comps for the turnout, though the turnout is not quite as round as the Clark's. My first impression of the 9G roo boot was that they were too short and snug in the toe. But they stretched out, first in width and then, as the footbed broke in, just enough in length. They may have stretched a bit in length from the use of large shoe trees, too. After about 20 wearings, they are comfortable with thin Nagrani socks and I can wear them all day. And they are awesome. The roo leather is very comfortable. Still they are a bit smaller than the 10 in the Clark's. I bet I would have been good with the 9.5G for the roo boot, though I may have needed thicker socks. Since the Kangaroo is a bouncy leather, I'm going to order a 9.5G for suede or yearling boots. My limited experience, then, suggests this formula for the turnout: Clark's Desert Boot minus 1/2 size, i.e., 10D -> 9.5G

Tidybeard

Reaction score
What's the latest on Nungar? I know one or two had some problems with him a while back but he has the best price by some distance on the Stuart boot I'm looking at and with the Aussie Dollar where it is at the moment it's getting hard to resist (what will be my seventh pair of RMW....
inlove.gif
)

dboll

Reaction score
Ordered a pair of RMW Kangaroo Craftsmen in Chestnut from aussiebushats last week, was told to expect delivery in 10 business days. My first RMWs!

potter AB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dboll
... My first RMWs!
Good luck. You will not be disappointed
smile.gif
Here are my first RMWs - I got them yesterday from the local Crockett & Jones shop. This is the Blaxland (a Crafsman with a non-slip composition sole) on the 543 last, width H
rmwilliams024wq1.jpg
rmwilliams025jo4.jpg
rmwilliams015ip1.jpg
rmwilliams003kw6.jpg
And next to another autumn/winter boot, the Chepstow (C&J, UK9.5, last 325)
rmwilliams010gg9.jpg

dboll

Reaction score
Beautiful boots. Especially like those C&J's

potter AB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dboll
Beautiful boots. Especially like those C&J's

Thank you
smile.gif

rmwilliams023wg0.jpg

The Chepstow has a storm welt for rainy weather. The pair you see is 1 year old and I like it very much.
However, right now I am especially happy with the RM Williams - I had to wait for some weeks after I had found out that my normal UK size 9.5G seemed a little too long (i.e. did not fit very tight) and 9G was too narrow at the little toe - so the shop ordered a 9H for me, which fits perfectly.
They were worth waiting for

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Just wondering.

What makes a more 'classic' and timeless Chelsea boot.

The B555 Last? Its seen on the MacQuarie boot, or the B529 last, seen on the Forum Special?

Here's the B555.

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...7&d=1217748200

It's front row, second from the right.

Just wondering.

I'll be a size 11F or a size 11 1/2 F for these puppies. Going in tomorrow to try them on.

Colour will probably be Tan, with a Black Veal Calf, a Brown Suede and a Whiskey or Chamois in the coming months.

285 AUD for a made to measure chelsea with the quality RM's construction is crazy. In Australia, I may not be able to source cut price Allen Edmonds easily, buy I sure as heck make up for it with awesome quality boots.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe figure out your size and buy 1 pair in NYC, but you can save a lot of money buying them online from Australia. I just got a pair for about $185 shipped. If I remember correctly, they are at least $350 in NYC.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I did!

They're not mine, they just show the boot Im looking at.

I'm only 22, you gotta gimme more time!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads