• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cheaper airfare?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When will we see it if oil stays down? How much cheaper do you think it might go?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even should it come down further, I don't expect dramatic reductions in rates. The airlines are sitting on boatloads of debt.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe after they use GPS on the planes and change the design of the planes to be more fuel efficient. Don't expect it anytime soon. I yearn for the day when airlines are exclusive once again.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Maybe after they use GPS on the planes and change the design of the planes to be more fuel efficient. Don't expect it anytime soon. I yearn for the day when airlines are exclusive once again.

If you want exclusive, there's always first class. Personally, I like being able to fly places and not have it cost a huge chunk of my vacation budget.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe after they use GPS on the planes
That would cost us a couple million dollars to implement. I am just fine with using waypoints and Jeppesen charts, and so is everyone else considering it's been around forever and doesn't cost nearly as much.

and change the design of the planes to be more fuel efficient
That's being worked on, ask Airbus and Boeing.

I can't see airfares coming down anytime soon, except that we are working our way into the off season for air travel. I, along with many other people, would like to see air travel become exclusive again; but now that so many people only think of it as nothing but a nuisance I can't see that happening either.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
That would cost us a couple million dollars to implement. I am just fine with using waypoints and Jeppesen charts, and so is everyone else considering it's been around forever and doesn't cost nearly as much.
Millions is chump change, we pay trillions in handouts and nobody seems to care. I read that using GPS would save something like 30% in gas alone with current designs.
That's being worked on, ask Airbus and Boeing. I can't see airfares coming down anytime soon, except that we are working our way into the off season for air travel. I, along with many other people, would like to see air travel become exclusive again; but now that so many people only think of it as nothing but a nuisance I can't see that happening either.
They do have some designs that work that use something similar to a stealth bomber design that can save quite a bit of fuel. The problem with those is that the FAA won't let them use it because emergency exits are harder to get to. Sounds like a crock considering if you ever crash in an airplane you are pretty much fucked anyways. I'd rather sign a waiver to ride on the cheaper plane if they are just concerned about safety.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ynsea

Besides, I'd much rather be interpreting this while guiding my airplane in to land. Who needs that newfangled GPS to do everything for you!

Quatsch

Reaction score
Question for anyone who might be in the know:

Last summer I discovered what an amazing asset Ryan Air was for travelling in Europe. Are there logistical reasons why America doesn't have airlines that operate at comparable pricepoints, or is it just the standard big businesses keeping prices high kind of thing?

I'd love to be able to fly to FL and back for 75 dollars...

Edit: I realize the distances on some flights are much greater, like LA to NY and whatnot, but the distances for flying around the East coast are pretty comparable, maybe not one end to the other, but you know what I mean.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Millions is chump change, we pay trillions in handouts and nobody seems to care. I read that using GPS would save something like 30% in gas alone with current designs.
You read where?

Sounds like a crock considering if you ever crash in an airplane you are pretty much fucked anyways.
Incorrect.

I'd rather sign a waiver to ride on the cheaper plane if they are just concerned about safety.
But you know everyone would ***** about this too, just like they do with everything associated with airlines. Not to mention the employees- how thrilled would you be about being assigned as a crew member on the "less safe" aircraft? I wouldn't be all that excited.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch

Last summer I discovered what an amazing asset Ryan Air was for travelling in Europe. Are there logistical reasons why America doesn't have airlines that operate at comparable pricepoints, or is it just the standard big businesses keeping prices high kind of thing?

Southwest Airlines is the American equivalent. The majority of Ryanair flights are priced so low because of the short distance they cover (such as London-Paris, etc) where flights Southwest flies are generally more of a distance away. Generally the airlines in the United States aren't all that well off at the moment.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You read where?

Can't remember where, some cheesy science magazine like Popular Mechanics. My numbers are probably off I just remember it said GPS would save money in the long run but a pain to implement.

But you know everyone would ***** about this too, just like they do with everything associated with airlines. Not to mention the employees- how thrilled would you be about being assigned as a crew member on the "less safe" aircraft? I wouldn't be all that excited.
They could pay the crews more to compensate. People would still do it, especially since jobs are leaving left and right. Either way, you are way more likely to get injured in a car accident than in a plane accident or skydiving.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch

Edit: I realize the distances on some flights are much greater, like LA to NY and whatnot, but the distances for flying around the East coast are pretty comparable, maybe not one end to the other, but you know what I mean.

RyanAir also nickels and dimes you. Miss your flight, no chance at re-scheduling. Want to check in luggage? Be prepared to pay. Southwest is the best airline in the US and I fly with them exclusively for domestic flights. They have a good business model and great service. The only thing I hate is their hideous business casual attire and cheesy heart logo.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't remember where, some cheesy science magazine like Popular Mechanics. My numbers are probably off I just remember it said GPS would save money in the long run but a pain to implement.
It is very possible that it would save money, but at the rates some airlines are bleeding money the temporary cost would outweigh the long-term benefits. Unless, of course, the federal government paid for it, but that would cause everyone to ***** and whine and complain about why we don't use the current system if it works (waypoints and Jeppesen charts such as the one I linked).

They could pay the crews more to compensate. People would still do it, especially since jobs are leaving left and right. Either way, you are way more likely to get injured in a car accident than in a plane accident or skydiving.
Possibly, but would you still want to be a crew member on that flight? I can't think of any pilot that would take control of any aircraft that is "less safe" than it could possibly be.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They do have some designs that work that use something similar to a stealth bomber design that can save quite a bit of fuel. The problem with those is that the FAA won't let them use it because emergency exits are harder to get to. Sounds like a crock considering if you ever crash in an airplane you are pretty much fucked anyways. I'd rather sign a waiver to ride on the cheaper plane if they are just concerned about safety.

Didn't you say 3 posts above this that you wanted airlines to become exclusive again, but now you're willing to sign-away your safety for a cheaper fare?
confused.gif

Quatsch

Reaction score
Southwest Airlines is the American equivalent. The majority of Ryanair flights are priced so low because of the short distance they cover (such as London-Paris, etc) where flights Southwest flies are generally more of a distance away. Generally the airlines in the United States aren't all that well off at the moment.

Yeah, I realize most flights are that way, but the flight I did between Hahn and Girona last June and when I fly from Nashville to Orlando are comparable distances, but the Euro flight cost me about 45 euro, whereas its about 200 dollars to go to Orlando. I realize there are a lot of factors, but I've always wondered why the shorter flights weren't cheaper.

RyanAir also nickels and dimes you. Miss your flight, no chance at re-scheduling. Want to check in luggage? Be prepared to pay. Southwest is the best airline in the US and I fly with them exclusively for domestic flights. They have a good business model and great service. The only thing I hate is their hideous business casual attire and cheesy heart logo.

I'll agree about southwest. I've had the best experiences with them of any airline, barring Lufthansa. Despite all the Ryanair horror stories, I've had really good experiences with them as well(out of six flights), though I do realize if something goes wrong you're screwed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads