• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spanish books

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can any spanish speakers recommend a couple good books for me to read that will help build vocabulary but not be way beyond my intermediate reading level? thx.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a great way to build vocabulary is by reading news articles online. any book which is actually good will be difficult for you. if you must, try 'el laberinto de la soledad' or the works of pablo neruda.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
a great way to build vocabulary is by reading news articles online. any book which is actually good will be difficult for you. if you must, try 'el laberinto de la soledad' or the works of pablo neruda.

Is there a spanish equivalent to the BBC (covers all south american countries)?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Is there a spanish equivalent to the BBC (covers all south american countries)?
i don't know, but any large newspaper will have an international section; just like the san francisco chronicle covers news in rio de janeiro, if it's big enough news.

you should try 'la marca', which is like the new york times of spain, 'excelsior' in mexico city, or whatever newspaper they read in buenos aires.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can any spanish speakers recommend a couple good books for me to read that will help build vocabulary but not be way beyond my intermediate reading level? thx.
Here.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"los santos inocentes" by miguel delibes. i enjoyed reading it and it definitely helped my spanish.

it's about "feudal" spain during the franco period, like modern day serfs and lords (who have bmw's). it's not a happy story.

there's a movie, too, which i love.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Here.

Is this something Ed bought you after failure to communicate in the bedroom?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some Latin American news sources for you. I'm not sure what region you are interested in, or what kind of vocabulary you want to build.

El Mercurio (Santiago)

ADN Mundo (Buenos Aires)

El Espectador (Bogota)

and finally, one of my favorites (obvious from the title
bounce2.gif
)

Dinero (Bogota)

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always used to read Yahoo! Spain. Now I try to read Yahoo! Korea but the stories are always morbid so I've gone to other sites.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to start with short story collections, because you're going to go kind of slowly at first, and a novel often winds up taking longer than your interest lasts. Have you tried one of those parallel text books?

When I was in a mid-level Spanish course, we read chapters from Platero y Yo, which is a kid's book but isn't too bad for an adult, and Sin Noticias de Gurb, which is pretty funny and has just enough slang-type terms.

Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
you should try 'la marca', which is like the new york times of spain

I don't know if I'm missing some NYTimes-bashing humor here, but La Marca is just about sports.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads