• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Copyright Laws

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's say that I want to make a video about men's clothing and I want to use images of shoes, shirts, ties, etc. and I also want to use people's pics for examples and put it on Youtube.

How do I do that without getting in any sort of trouble?
eh.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Let's say that I want to make a video about men's clothing and I want to use images of shoes, shirts, ties, etc. and I also want to use people's pics for examples and put it on Youtube.

How do I do that without getting in any sort of trouble?
eh.gif

It's unlikely you would get in trouble, but:

(1) Pay a license to the license holder. (i.e., pay off whoever could sue you in advance)
or
(2) Limit your use such that it will be "fair use". Bonus points if it is a transformative use or a parody or things of that nature.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Claim it is rigorous academic research and be sure to have a page of citations or references.

Or, claim it is political speech, you can get away with just about anything if you claim it is political speech.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Claim it is rigorous academic research and be sure to have a page of citations or references.

This would be an example of fair use (although since it is video, I'm not sure citations or references are needed). Academic research is generally more likely to be approved as fair use, and is mentioned in the statute and generally interpreted as being something that ways in favor of fair use.

Or, claim it is political speech, you can get away with just about anything if you claim it is political speech.
I'm not sure there is political content here.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
This would be an example of fair use (although since it is video, I'm not sure citations or references are needed). Academic research is generally more likely to be approved as fair use, and is mentioned in the statute and generally interpreted as being something that ways in favor of fair use.

I'm not sure there is political content here.

So, umm, this was just supposed to be a funny response making fun of academia and politics. It looks like it is backfiring rapidly, so I'm just going to bail out and pretend it didn't happen.

Enjoy your afternoon though!

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy

I'm actually considering posting in the vid where some of my information comes from. I also thought about mentioning specific books etc. Will that fly? I'd assume that if I'm mentioning someone's books in a positive light that that wouldn't be a problem.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I'm actually considering posting in the vid where some of my information comes from. I also thought about mentioning specific books etc. Will that fly? I'd assume that if I'm mentioning someone's books in a positive light that that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure the above would have much significance, but it can help characterize what you're doing as having academic significance.

keeping in mind that (1) i'm a law student, not a lawyer, and (2) my IP background is patents, not copyright, yeah, I think you're going to be fine, unless you're taking the "entire work".

I think there are a number of cases that involve people taping of other works (typically artwork like paintings) and then they get sued when they broadcast them in a documentary form; they usually are safe. In general, keep it short, and try not to take the "entire work".

If a lot of money is at stake, then contact a real lawyer who specializes in these issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads