• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much in student loan do you owe?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
0 for undergrad (my parents covered that)
25k for grad school to get my masters in accounting

After 2 years, I owe about $10,500 in loans and will probably be paid off in another year and a half.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coopster
Thank goodness for my right arm. It pitched me into (and kept me in) college for free.

200k for an MBA? It takes 2 years. Not likely unless you take the 6 year plan.

Actually I guess if you factor in the lost wages of going to school full-time for 2 years 200k becomes a lot more feasible.

Yes, tuition is $40k+, most MBA students at that age don't squeeze 5 people in a studio apartment, they live relatively comfortably, annual expenses add $30k. Factor in lost pay at about $60k-80k typically. The cost is astronomical. And coke is not included

noorotic

Reaction score
roughly 70k from undegrad..I'm guessing around 80 when I'm finished.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riotshield
I had about $53K in law school loans when I graduated. Three years later, with timely monthly payments, it's down to $47K *sob* At least the interest on it is low.

Ouch.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had roughly 25k in undergrad loans, which I had been paying off since graduation 10 yrs. Just finished my last payment 3 weeks ago. Unf*cking believable. It's the first time I have been debt free since college. The best thing I ever did was to setup an automatic payment from my online checking account to Sallie Mae. It really took the sting out of having to write the check every month. I also paid maybe 15% above my monthly payment every month, which cut down the duration a bit.

I'll drink to that.

Seanallen

Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me just want to join the army to pay for school, hopefully the army has a chef position open.

jungleline

Reaction score
I have a doctorate in Clinical Psychology and have about 75 k. It's pretty depressing how expensive these programs are.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing from grad school. Started with about 12K from ugrad, added 4K from my wife's undergrad when we got married and consolidated, am currently down to $4,500 total. One of these days, I should just pay it off, I guess, but it's been on an extended plan and I've just let it drift downward.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
my wife's undergrad when we got married and consolidated

and who said romance was dead.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
and who said romance was dead.

I thought seriously about not consolidating because if they remained unconsolidated and I died, my loans would be forgiven.

I also thought about suing her after the wedding, since she had sworn that her father had paid off her loans years earlier, and that turned out to be untrue. That's what I get for not signing a pre-nup I guess.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Altogether, I owe in the low 40's and I'm paying it off a little bit at a time... but I don't consider that amount bad considering that's for undergrad, grad, doctorate and the schools I went to, for the most part, charged more than that for one year.

I had to work ****** off at jobs and in order to get finaid/scholarships, but hey, you do whaddya gotta do.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Altogether, I owe in the low 40's and I'm paying it off a little bit at a time... but I don't consider that amount bad considering that's for undergrad, grad, doctorate and the schools I went to, for the most part, charged more than that for one year.

I had to work ****** off at jobs and in order to get finaid/scholarships, but hey, you do whaddya gotta do.

That's pretty impressive, playa.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
That's pretty impressive, playa.

As Hank Williams, Jr. said, Country folk can survive.
lol8[1].gif

Wooh

Reaction score
Way too much. Hope to amortize it as quickly as possible. Worth it? Yes. Scary as ****? Also yes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads