• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Ivy League Graduates?

FormalFashion08

Reaction score
I'm an aspiring Ivy League student (Columbia),and I was wondering if there are any members on here that can share their experiences with their education. How did the degree treat you afterwards? A gift that keeps on giving, or in your case, a gift that keeps on paying *weak grammar, but I am winding down.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grad of Penn. education paid off huge. got into all of the top law schools, plenty of job offers, life is good.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't get me started.

Short answer: do the best you can; if it works out, great. But, don't be disappointed if it doesn't and realize you can get a very good education at schools outside the "ivy leagues."

University "penis envy" doesn't really count for much in the real world and really, after you graduate, VERY few people (if anybody) care where you went. Perhaps this is different by major/concentration, but at least in my area (humanities/education) I don't think it matters at the end of the day except to "impress" people at parties. There are lots of college-age people around this forum, so talk about where you went and such probably seems a lot more important than it will in the real world.

Wherever you go, do the best, hardest work you can and always stay busy doing as much as you can. A guy from Michigan state/Kansas State/Wherever State who worked his ass off, has excellent internships/research/grades/projects/publications will probably look/do better than a Harvard kid who just barely squeezed by.

Just my opinion, of course, though perhaps the best thing about the "ivies" are the resources for study and the network/connections you make as a student.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'd die for a Princeton or Yale BA. It would solidify my elitist credentials to the point of irrefutability.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether or not going to a traditionally elite private school (not just Ivy) is for you or not depends on your personality type. I would recommend talking more in real life to alumni or current students of colleges you are interested in attending, and seeing if you are that kind of person. Going to an Ivy was the right choice for me, in terms of intellectual, social as well as personal development. That said, it would have been the wrong choice for many of my friends in H.S. who did actually choose the (very good) flagship state university over some good Ivies.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Whether or not going to a traditionally elite private school (not just Ivy) is for you or not depends on your personality type. I would recommend talking more in real life to alumni or current students of colleges you are interested in attending, and seeing if you are that kind of person. Going to an Ivy was the right choice for me, in terms of intellectual, social as well as personal development. That said, it would have been the wrong choice for many of my friends in H.S. who did actually choose the (very good) flagship state university over some good Ivies.

i am kicking myself as i read this. i'm a freshman at such a state university. it's intolerable, anti-intellectual, and i can't wait to transfer.

what do you mean when you say "that kind of person"?

FormalFashion08

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
Grad of Penn. education paid off huge. got into all of the top law schools, plenty of job offers, life is good.
W.hen was this? Things are way different now

Upenn -- undergrad?

Or how did it go for you

Damn, i relaly need sleep

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to UVA over Penn, Brown, and Dartmouth. Best life decision so far.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
i am kicking myself as i read this. i'm a freshman at such a state university. it's intolerable, anti-intellectual, and i can't wait to transfer.

what do you mean when you say "that kind of person"?

Some people simply aren't intellectual. I am, but most are not, and would not take advantage of the opportunities available at a school such as mine. Even most of the people at my school aren't purely "intellectual"; this isn't some kind of thinkers' bohemia (you'd have to wait for a PhD program for that), but I do think the vast majority of people here have that element in them.

I think it really comes down to this; would you rather have a conversation with people from a state school, or a traditional elite private school? I'd rather have the conversation with the latter, but many people would rather talk to the former. It doesn't mean anything positive or negative, it's just a preference.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
I went to UVA over Penn, Brown, and Dartmouth. Best life decision so far.
Well, UVa is in some ways more "Ivy" than some Ivies. I think it's terrific, by the way, and D.C. is run by UVa grads. What did you study there?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In all seriousness, my major department at my non-Ivy university (Ohio State) matches up very well with that of any Ivy school. A number of our senior professors were culled from Yale, Harvard and Chicago during the 1990's. We also have the best military history program in the nation, bar none.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
In all seriousness, my major department at my non-Ivy university (Ohio State) matches up very well with that of any Ivy school. A number of our senior professors were culled from Yale, Harvard and Chicago during the 1990's. We also have the best military history program in the nation, bar none.

What are you studying?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What courses are you taking this semester, Conne?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
What courses are you taking this semester, Conne?
Introduction to Queer Theory Transgender Studies Introduction to Song and Dance Theatrical History 102: Vaudeville to Broadway Anyway, in all seriousness, one of the things that I like about SF is that it is always a healthy, but humbling, experience that is good for ALL of us. For example, no matter what the topic, there is almost always guaranteed to be a poster who knows more, has more, or IS more in just about every way. It's a healthy check for the ego and I think it's especially good when it comes to "Ivies." There are posters here who have gone to literally every "good" school in the nation/world and, while there, have done so much amazing stuff that it both amazes and infuriates you! There are also members who went to non-ivy schools who also are doing VERY well in life and got as much... or more... from their education. It's good for keeping things in perspective. Same with shoes... you think you are doing well and then aportnoy comes along. Same with literally everything around here from martial arts to workout schedules to suits to decorative walrus penises...

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's actually pretty balanced among different distribution requirements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads