• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

V-neck sweaters with Suit

Chigu

Reaction score
Hey SF.

What's the etiquette/style code on wearing V-neck sweaters with a suit (with a collared shirt and tie of course)? I did a search on this forum and am unable to find an answer.

If I have the standard navy blue, black, and grey suits what colors are suitable to wear? What pitfalls or fashion faux pas should I be looking out for?

I just recently started a position where I have to wear a suit everyday, and it's getting cold outside.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's gold outside, celebrate.

V-necks are much better than crewnecks, just wear whatever works, as you do with ties, pocket squares, and shirts. If you're trying for conservative stick with neutrals and low-key colors. Personally I prefer a bit of brightness with the more dull suit. I also enjoy wearing those zip-collar sweaters, but I don't recommend that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they look fine when it's extremely cold outside.

Chigu

Reaction score
fixed 'gold' --> 'cold'. I do work at a mining (gold) company.

I'm not a fan of too boring or neutral. I can definitely pull off baby pink's, yellow, or even turquoise shirts.

Should I just get the plain sweaters, or purchase some argyle one's as well?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Chigu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
frown.gif

What's with the frown? I have: - grey pinstripe suit - navy blue suit - black suit - black pinstripe suit - navy blue pinstripe suit - brown pinstripe suit. Where's the faux pas? ps> is it the black suit?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chigu
What's with the frown?

I have:

- grey pinstripe suit
- navy blue suit
- black suit
- black pinstripe suit
- navy blue pinstripe suit
- brown pinstripe suit.

Where's the faux pas?

ps> is it the black suit?

Are you sure its black and not charcoal?

But this forum seems to dislike black suits.

Personally I love wearing bright cardigans under suits. For office though id recommend something fairly muted, nothing flashy. Pastel colours, burgundy, navy all work.

Chigu

Reaction score
Oh gawd, I'm not reading through all 50+ pages. This is one rule I have and will continue to break. I've worn black suits in business settings all the time and I look and feel great. I think it's just one of those 'old school' , 'traditional' type rules that not many people adhere to anyway. I have noticed many executives and partners in accounting and law firms wearing black suits.

BTW, my suit is definitely black and NOT charcoal. I am still looking for a good fitting charcoal suit that is within my budget.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
red (vermilion red) v-neck sweaters and light gray cardigans should work well with all your suit colors.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in an old building (~1870), and it gets cold. I keep a knit vest in a desk drawer for cold days, and several more at home; mostly navy, maroon and charcoal. It does tend to de-formalise (is that a word?) a business suit, but WTH, as long as you're in suit and tie, you shuold be fine. Examples:
DSC02080.jpg
DSC06784.jpg
DSC02191.jpg
DSC02364.jpg
DSC02392.jpg
DSC02509.jpg
DSC02669.jpg
Trond40-44.jpg
DSC02922.jpg
DSC01728.jpg

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you need another layer for warmth, why not try a waistcoat now and again, rather than a v-neck?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LS, the v-neck sweaters look good in all the pics. Seems most befitting to add the sweater on a very cold day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads