• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
OB - the Ranchero is awesome - is your collection 100% Omega?

Could somone inform me or update me on the Omega line of watches please?

From what I knew in the 1980's they were a very cheap low quality brand at the time.
Does this mean they have gotten better? When they first came out they were no better
than finding a watch in a cracker jack box. But if they have indeed gotten better then so be it.

I still find it odd. Just as odd that BMW engines are really now made by Hyundai.

It just now makes me ask myself , "What is quality?"

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brianja
Why would I mind?

I shoot with a Canon 20d (soon to be replaced) and a lot of different lenses. I have spent far more money on quality lenses than on camera bodies.

For the watch shots in particular I used a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens.

Thanks I didn't think you'd mind but I've seriously ran across a few people who won't talk about what they use. Anything in the $800-$1K range you'd recommend as far as the body is concerned?

wq1999

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
Thanks I didn't think you'd mind but I've seriously ran across a few people who won't talk about what they use. Anything in the $800-$1K range you'd recommend as far as the body is concerned?

I use a Pentax K10D and I recommend it highly. The K20D is now available and falls within your range.

KBW

Reaction score
I received another Lum-Tec (posted one the other day) this morning that I wasn't expecting. Here's a few iPhone pics (again sorry how horrible the iPhone camera is but this watch comes in great leather packaging). There is not one watch in the world with brighter lume than a Lum-Tec
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0034.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg

KBW

Reaction score
The Lum-Tec I posted is $365. They range from 295 to 385 for the M's. These watches seriously have the brightest lume easily of any watch made that I've seen. It is ridiculous. The M1 is polished SS with white/green lume, M2 is brushed with white/green lume, M3 is polished but with orange hands, M4 is the bead blasted PVD one I posted above, and the M5 is a Phantom version. The M5's tint has a weird way of "trapping" the light to charge the lume way up and even though it is tinted the lume at night is incredibly bright. All of these come with a free heavy and high quality SS bracelet. The one and only problem I have with these is that they are a quartz movement but at the same time it is ok (the quartz movement is high quality). Chris Wiegand (the owner) has answered all of my ?'s within 30 minutes and has been great. Free lifetime battery replacement comes with the watches. Cases are 44mm not including crown if I'm not mistaken. Crystals are military grade double ar coated. The crown is threaded and the watches are limited between 55 and 155 pieces depending on the model. You can also get the Phantom crystal on any of the models. I have a polished M1 coming with the Phantom crystal on it as well. You can view all of them at his website as well as the automatic pilots watch he offers. Check out this lume it looks like it has LED lights in it haha.
4542-1-1.129233322_std.jpg

KBW

Reaction score
one thing to add that I didn't even know until i just started thinking of switching it out is that the lug width of the lum-tecs is 24mm so all the panerai straps etc can fit this watch. I ordered several new straps to switch between my 24mm and I was very happily surprised to see this watch had 24mm lugs when I measured. I think the owner of Lum-Tec should definitely mention that on his site but I never saw it.

JPYPSU07

Reaction score
I Ordered an M2 Lum Tec last night, I should be getting it in a week

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it that every time I go to get the IWC BP 5004-01 I walk away with another watch?

A few months ago I was on my way & came home with a PAM233J..

Today I came home home with the Rolex green Sub! This was very unexpected but I was lucky as this BNIB Z series had the planner inner rehault ring before they ROLEXROLEXROLEX engraved!

Well, the bracelet will make it for good wearing in the Singaporean humidity..

L1050943.jpg

L1050948.jpg

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some impressive pieces throughout this thread. One can spend days going through it. My contribution is modest by comparison, but each piece belonged to one of my grandfathers, so I wear them with pride.

Posting now because the two wrist watches needed some significant servicing and only just received them back.

Family pic:
DSC_6468.jpg

Omega:
DSC_6486-1.jpg

Bulova before:
DSC_6341_2.jpg

After:
DSC_6491.jpg

Aero (never heard of em):
DSC_6492.jpg

djf881

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jferg4350
I have a quick watch question so i figured i would ask it here

how much water involved activity can a 100m resistant watch stand?

Try to keep your wrist out of the stream when you pee.

brianja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW

It depends on what you want to accomplish with the camera.

If you want to get into SLR photography then I would go with one of the entry level Canon or Nikon dSLRs. Something like the Canon dRebel XSi or the Nikon d40. Both are good cameras that will leave room under your price point to purchase a decent lens or two (macro for watch shots).

I always feel its far wiser to spend money on quality lenses than to spend it on the latest camera body.

If you don't want all of the expense / learning curve associated with SLR cameras I can recommend the Canon G9. It has a lot of the features of an SLR without the changeable lenses and in a much more compact package. I shoot one of these when I don't want to lug around my regular rig.

c_del

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I received another Lum-Tec (posted one the other day) this morning that I wasn't expecting. Here's a few iPhone pics (again sorry how horrible the iPhone camera is but this watch comes in great leather packaging). There is not one watch in the world with brighter lume than a Lum-Tec

IMG_0039.jpg

KBW, do you know what kind of movement powers these watches? I'm thinking about ordering an M1.

KBW

Reaction score
C_Del. This watch uses quartz actually which is the only downfall of the watch (supposedly a high quality quartz but to me quartz=quartz no matter what it is other than the $5 movements). The owner offers free battery replacement/pressure testing for the life of the watch. I went downtown to a packed out bar last night and must have had 30 comments on the watch because the lume was so bright. Other than a g-shock this is one of the only quartz movement watches I own and I'd definitely buy it again if I had it to do over. I actually have an M1 with Phantom crystal on custom order. Here is a pic of a M2 and its lume in a semi dark picture (not my picture of course as these aren't available yet)
075.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads