• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appeal of Panerai?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The asiago cheese bread is pretty good but I like the stuff they put the Bacon Turkey Bravo on.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djf881
I don't think the allure of Panerai has anything to do with the history of the brand, since a fascist military watch probably has limited appeal.

I don't think the popularity of these watches has anything to do with the mechanical movements, either, since Panerai hasn't got a longstanding tradition for great in-house movements.

I think these watches are primarily prized for the design. More cynically, I'd say they emerged at the right time to ride the big-watch trend, a trend that is primarily about making expensive watches conspicuous at a time when precious metals and gems were not in style. In other words, Panerai is coveted because it produces a small number of watches, which makes the brand exclusive, but Panerais are large and distinctive and can be spotted easily from across the room.

But Panerai was one of the first, if not the first, to market >40mm watches even before Richemont bought the company.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes - they didn't ride the trend. They created it and every other brand has been riding it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
What i sthe appeal of Panerai watches? This i not a knock on them, as I understand people like things for different reasons. I personally don't understand why they are interesting or attractive or otherwise worthwhile. But there must be something to it. Or is it just that you either get it or you don't, and I don't?
The case design has very nice proportions, or at least the original one does. As a watch on a wrist I find them tremendously unappealing.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got into Panerai in 2001. Even back then it was still a young brand but its appeal for me was its distinctive look, size and military history. Here's some Panerai I owned (some have since moved on).

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Also got a Mare Nostrum 301/A.

And some strap craziness

standard.jpg

But most importantly, Panerai introduced me to a whole new community of passionate people, the Paneristi. Here is an example of our nutty passion: brewing our own beer for a Paneristi gathering in Sydney
smile.gif

standard.jpg

As for its history as a military tool watch. I love the irony of the dial with out minute intervals. Can you imagine this conversation? Commando 1: I have set the explosives. Commando 2: when will it go off? Commando 1: Oh in 5 or 10 minutes time. Its just so Italian
smile.gif

Gaz

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some things can't be explained but I've been into Panerai since 1998
pamfam.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The case design has very nice proportions, or at least the original one does. As a watch on a wrist I find them tremendously unappealing.

It's simply a rather simple cushion shape:

5799.jpg

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Some things can't be explained but I've been into Panerai since 1998

That's obscene! What an amazing collection.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stuffs styleforum overrates. IMHO.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Stuffs styleforum loves to snub. IMHO.
FTFY

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
FTFY

Thanks. My fingers were on the wrong keys.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djf881
I don't think the allure of Panerai has anything to do with the history of the brand, since a fascist military watch probably has limited appeal.

See IWC Big Pilot Ref. 5002.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The big watch thing is OK by me... I recently looked at a Hamilton Khaki Automatic Officer's watch and really loved the way it looked... until I put it on my wrist.

I think the thing I really dislike about Pans are their seemingly ubiquitous crown guards, which seem rather ridiculous to me. I have seen quite a few examples in this thread to make me reconsider my thinking based on their lack of this feature, but I have seen few in stores without this ostentatious affectation.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing one around 1991 at Tournou and thinking it was different and interesting and huge, but I came to think they are just too big and inelegant (though had I bough the first one a saw at $2,700 on a bracelet it would have been a great investment). The Black Seal is certainly my favorite, but if I wanted a big watch I'd go IWC pilot, Omega PO, or Zenith Grande Primero. I will admit that it really was Panerai that started the large watch trend almost single-handedly.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Panerai are perplexing watches. Under glass, they are unique and seem to be ideal for casual wear. However, their portentous size seems to complement a Bid Dudeeee rather than the average Joe (Plumber).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads