• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive rugs?

Balthazar

Reaction score
Need to buy a couple rugs but have small budget (i.e. <$1k each). Any ideas on good sources?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Balthazar
Need to buy a couple rugs but have small budget (i.e. <$1k each). Any ideas on good sources?

Pakistani Gabbeh

Balthazar

Reaction score
For size, I'm looking for around 8' X 10' to 9' X 12'.

John, care to elaborate?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Balthazar
For size, I'm looking for around 8' X 10' to 9' X 12'.

John, care to elaborate?

In Pakistani Gabbeh, you might be able to find something around 7' x 9' for about $2K. They are a deal compared to the Persian versions. Just be careful you get a rug with wool on wool; no cotton backings; those do not wear as well.

Tufukien makes wonderful rugs, mostly from Nepal. You can get excellent deals at their outlet store; check out:

http://www.tufenkianoutlet.com/

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one can make a killing in the rug business (apparently a lot of successful persian business people run these type of rug stores). If you find a great source out in Iran or other parts of the middle east and import them, the mark-up on these things is tremendous. $2K rug can probably be had for $20 if bought directly in Iran. just thought i'd share that tid bit. i remember reading an article about this and how some dude made connections in Turkey and just started importing the rugs and made a fortune (relatively speaking).

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
one can make a killing in the rug business (apparently a lot of successful persian business people run these type of rug stores). If you find a great source out in Iran or other parts of the middle east and import them, the mark-up on these things is tremendous. $2K rug can probably be had for $20 if bought directly in Iran. just thought i'd share that tid bit. i remember reading an article about this and how some dude made connections in Turkey and just started importing the rugs and made a fortune (relatively speaking).

If you can separate the wheat from the chaff. A good rug store owner in the West has a tight relationship with his producers and doesn't cast aspersions at his customers the moment they hint that they're on a budget.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any good suggestions for rug sources, I'm afraid, as I'm in Australia. However, when you're buying a Persian (for want of a better word) rug, it pays to take time to develop your knowledge of rugs, and to also find someone whom you are comfortable buying from. As John mentioned, there are plenty of lower-quality rugs out there that look nice but that just won't wear as well as one that is well made from 100% wool. Construction techniques are important, too - whether the rugs are properly knotted, whether they have been crudely clipped to achieve patterns and shape, whether they use natural or artificial dyes and so on and so forth. Finally, such rugs can often attract ethical concerns. As teddieriley noted, some rugs are made incredibly cheaply, yet they are sold at enormously inflated prices. Regrettably, a lot of the cheap rugs might be well made, but they are made using child labour in atrocious conditions. This is one of the reasons why - if you are concerned about such issues - it is worthwhile taking the time to learn about tribal rugs, so that you can get an idea as to where they were made and how they were made. If you develop a good rapport with a supplier that you feel is trustworthy, then this should also minimise the chance that you will buy a child-labour rug. I've bought tribal rugs from villages in Timor, Indonesia, Thailand, Afghanistan and Iraq, and I've been fortunate in that I've been able to see where the rugs were made and actually meet the people who were making them so that I could be reassured that I was giving money to the actual workers, not to someone who had setup a sweatshop. For most people, this simply isn't feasible, so taking time to develop a rapport with suppliers is useful. As an aside, if you are interested both in rugs and in the socio-political landscape of the places in which they are made, then I highly recommend a book called "The Carpet Wars", but an Australian journalist named Christopher Kremmer. It's available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Carpet-Wars-Ba.../dp/0060097329

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SOHO rugs makes some really cool rugs. They don't have anything quite that big, but I combined 4 smaller rugs and because of they're shaggy design, everyone always asks me "how much was a rug that big"? You really can't tell it's 4 pieces unless you really look, here's mine....
n39100926_33652948_1432.jpg
A close up of the same rug, different color...
SHR1004_l.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics