• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anti-fine living (craft living)

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone appreciate folk craftsmanship (and perhaps the Arts & Crafts-type furniture) as opposed to the decadence of 'fine living'? I can't really say I do, but as a fifth-generation folk-craftsman (and studied it a bit at university), I've been around a lot of it.

Here is a rug I wove for a friend, made from five pairs of her own denim jeans.

2exwx9h.jpg

oneade

Reaction score
I'm not into folk craftwork but Wow. i didn't even realize you could reweave existing fabric into new ones. that's pretty amazing. what is the process like?

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Renwick in DC is great. I saw a Grant Wood show there, and in addition to his paintings he made, and they showed, easels, desks, his studio, everything. When I move to the Pacific Northwest I will be excited to see the remnants of the Arts and Crafts movement.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willsw
When I move to the Pacific Northwest I will be excited to see the remnants of the Arts and Crafts movement.
There is an arts and crafts movement here?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poor image quality, I need to go take some better pictures of these. Anyway...

These are two very old chairs. If you look closely, they are held together with pegs and not metal nails. No metal at all in these chairs. I got them without bottoms and put the bottoms in them. I sit in them at my fly-tying table now. If you'll notice, they are very low to the ground. I guess that's partly because people 100 years ago were shorter, and part of it is the wear of being pulled across the floor and ground for decades.

You can only do it in April or May in this part of the country, while the sap is rising. First I went out into the woods and cut down a poplar tree, about 7" or so in diameter. Then you drag it up and cut off the limbs. Then shave off the outermost, thin layer of bark. That gets you to an inner layer of bark, which you can cut off in very long strips. Cut the strips off, and then weave them into a chair bottom. What you don't use that day, I did one before lunch and one after lunch. What is left over from the tree can be soaked in water and used the next day.

(if I hadn'ted drank a half bottle of Maker's Mark, I wouldn't be posting these)

2r7swhj.jpg

2hevvv4.jpg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't want a whole house filled with the stuff but same goes for more regular luxury items. All things work best placed here and there.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
There is an arts and crafts movement here?

There is the Portland School of Arts and Crafts, which will surely have something historic to see and probably some nice, more recent creations (in addition to all of the sad DYI-ish stuff they probably churn out now). I'm pretty sure there is a school in Seattle located in a large-ish building inspired by the movement as well. It may not be that apparent, but if you look there is most likely something to find.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Arts and Crafts from around 1900, yes; the country look, no.

emptym

Reaction score
I like it a lot. Neat rug.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads