• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ok, what would get you to become violent?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I dread the moment (coming quickly) where you will have 100 posts and will be continuously trolling the CEsspool as well
+1. Though, it will be hard to top (or bottom) meister.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metroman
standing in front of my father. Just give me a gun or a large knife so I may stab him non stop forever.
It sounds like you two are estranged. That is most unfortunate.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
what would it take to get you to throw a punch? coming off the wife's ass grabing discussion. what would it take to get you to throw a punch?

I haven't thrown a punch in years. I have said, for years, that I wouldn't use violence unless

1. somebody attacked me
2. somebody raised a hand on one of my family
3. I witnessed something that was obviously a huge violent injustess that I had the obility to stop

Even though I haven't completely read the entire thread yet... I'd like to think that I would never, ever, throw a punch for myself unless it was literally a matter of life or death. Whether out of cowardice or courage, I would stand there and take the beating. Any reasonable man couldn't bear to continuously beat on someone who refuses to fight back. In the end, I think that I would send the stronger message and in turn make the attacker appear weaker, at least, morally.

However, for someone else's sake, then yes, I'd like to think that I would be able to defend them.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Any reasonable man couldn't bear to continuously beat on someone who refuses to fight back.
Lots of responses are based on this assumption. Sadly, I think you would be shocked by the number of unreasonable people out there.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Lots of responses are based on this assumption. Sadly, I think you would be shocked by the number of unreasonable people out there.

As long as I don't die, or sustain serious permanent issues, I wake up the next day and continue about. It may hurt, but I end up feeling like I am the bigger man.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
As long as I don't die, or sustain serious permanent issues, I wake up the next day and continue about. It may hurt, but I end up feeling like I am the bigger man.

I can apprectiate your position, but you know that it really doesn't take much to sustain permenant damage - one or two solid blows to the face can change the way you look forever; a solid blow to the head (espectially an elbow or a kick) could cause brain damage, if you are over 40 permenanat damage to a joint could be caused with a single lucky blow.

Star

Reaction score
My personal preference would be to walk away if someone tried to wind me up or be a nuisance. There are two reasons for this:

1) He is either drunk, an idiot, or showing off. I think someone already mentioned on this thread that Sun Tzu in Art of War advocates the best strategy for War is to avoid it.

2) The other reason being that if I had no other option i.e. I or someone I love is about to get seriously damaged, I would tear the ****** apart using very means at my disposal even if it meant my own destruction. No issue with putting fingers into his eyes, boot between the legs, rips the earlobes off, or putting a stool up his nostril.
fight[1].gif
If its is hell you want then it is hell you should get.

I believe there was a story about an Italian Carabinieri (Italian Gendermarie) who was captured in Iraq and was about to be turned into a beheading video clip. Sensing his fate, I believe he violently struggled knowing his pride and honour of the unit was at stake. Such was his actions that they had to pop him with a bullet. Sure he lost his life but in the end he made a point to his captors. His country, his unit, his family and every decent man out there should be proud of him and what he did.

Syl

Reaction score
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

We live in a civilized society (for the most part). Violent crimes are quite rare for most people (and drunkard bar fights do not count). That anyone has to resort to throwing a punch means he wasn't able to deal with the situation otherwise.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I'm not that physically imposing and you never know what someone else is carrying or is willing to do. Call me a coward, but call me alive at 52 with no serious bone crushing injuries (at least those caused by fighting.)

KFS

Reaction score
If I were bigger and stronger - not a lot, as I have a pretty short temper. Unfortunately and fortunately, I'm small and weak so I just spend a lot of time being angry on the inside.

dboll

Reaction score
If times were different, I may have another opinion. However, given today's atmosphere it isn't worth fighting over most things. The physical dangers you invite from the possibility of an armed adversary, making walking away the best option. But if there is no other recourse, and you fear for your safety or that of another, then end things quickly and in your favor.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Even though I haven't completely read the entire thread yet... I'd like to think that I would never, ever, throw a punch for myself unless it was literally a matter of life or death. Whether out of cowardice or courage, I would stand there and take the beating. Any reasonable man couldn't bear to continuously beat on someone who refuses to fight back. In the end, I think that I would send the stronger message and in turn make the attacker appear weaker, at least, morally.
I haven't really had many encounters with violent people since high school. I went to public school and we would get some very interesting and somewhat challenged kids who would jump over tables and start pummeling each other seemingly without provocation. There was one particular kid, pretty small guy, that I remember that was as tough as nails. I know that he had lots of problems at home. Dad was a drunk and beat the **** out of him on a regular basis, but he was a stand up guy and was working his way out of it. Some other kid had some problems with him, and this kid was a known "****-starter" and was always looking for a fight. The ****-starting kid walks up to the guy and punches him as hard as he could in the face. The guy just stood there, stared at him, and said, hit me again. So the kid did, again, as hard as he could. The guy just stood there, staring at him. He said something along the lines of "You're a *****, keep hitting me." At that point it was very clear who won the fight (simply by not reacting AT ALL to getting hit extremely hard multiple times) and the kid backed down and did not bother him again. I found it pretty impressive.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just had the strangest experience - I'm at a trade show, and I am giving a presentation to some customers. this guy pushes past the customers to go into my booth - I can see he is wearing a nametag from one of my competitors.

so I say "excuse me, can I help you?" and he says "no, I'm just looking". I say "do you mind coming back in a few minutes, so that I can show you the system". he says "why" I was actually a little surprised that he didn't just leave.

"because you are a competitor, and I am with a customer. give me a few minutes and I can show you the system"

"no, I don't want to leave, and you can't talk to me like that - I worked for your company for 10 years, you can't ask me to leave your booth"

now I was pretty pissed, so I reached to look closer at his name tag, and he starts saying

"I know your boss, I'm going to report you to him, you can't talk to me like that"

so I say

"ok, get the **** out of my booth"

he yells a little more and waves his hands, and I push him out of the booth, calm down, and finish my presentation.

then about 15 minutes later he comes back and he stands just outside my booth and yells at me, how he is going to sue me for cursing at him (and, hey, who knows what the law allows here). I get security to take him away.

but, boy, I was close to poping him. I really really wanted to pop him.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did they put in your coffee back there? Exhibitors have been visiting competitors' booths since the day trade fairs were invented.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Globe left out that the guy was a Pal, he didn't want him trying to retake the '99 tradeshow territory.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics