• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airplane Etiquette

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I was on MSN travel last night reading a series of topics about airplane etiquette.

The three hot buttons were

Should cell phones be allowed on airplanes?
Do you check your luggage or carry on?
Should obese airline passengers pay more?

A while back I was traveling a couple times a week for work. I quickly learned how to block out or avoid most of the pitfalls.

Out of the three topics I was pleasantly surprised at how many people would rather not have cell phones allowed on planes. I've always found it relaxing to disconnect from my cell phone for a few hours.

Airplane Etiquette

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i dont mind some of the items above except for unnecessary luggage people take on and take all the cabinets above.

i dont mind crying babies as well, because what can they do? i try to put myself in the parents' shoes.

but what i dont like is when you sit in an aisle seat and the guy next to you has to constantly get up and go somewhere (not to the bathroom always) i mean, last time this guy for a 4 hour trip got up and i had to get up from my seat to let him by about 12 times.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, planes suck (coach anyway). I don't think you can force "etiquette" when you bought it for $180.00 from a website pitched by William Shatner just to save a few bucks.

What can you do other than make $300k a year and start flying first class?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd enjoy having emails, but not cell phones. But then again, I don't just call people up to socialize, so my personal use of the cell phone would be purely utilitarian.

I always, unless its a long trip, carry-on.

One of my pet peeves is when people cut in front of everyone when exiting the plane. IT should be done by row, not by who can get to the aisle first.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another HUGE pet peeve of mine is when people congregate in the aisles to chit-chat with their friends. Their friends are sitting, they're standing in the aisles being obnoxious and chatting about bullshit. They are often loud and their position of standing and talking is often rude to those around them.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hadamulletonce

Airplane Etiquette

I fly at least once a month. This year it's been closer to twice a month. A long time ago (I'd say about 9/12/01) it went from being fun to being Steve Martin in "Planes Trains and Automobiles".

I'm don't have a particular problem with cell phones but it wouldn't bother me if talking on them was forbidden once you're on the plane. BTW, you can rest assured that having any kind of electronic device on during takeoff and landing doesn't matter a damn, otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to carry it on in the first place. If they won't let you bring on a nail clipper, do you think they'd let you bring on something that could potentially screw up their navigation system or whatever the issue is supposed to be? {end of rant}

I always carry on my luggage unless the trip is so long that a carry on bag won't hold what I need to bring. Too much risk of it getting lost and too much time waiting around to check it and retrieve it. Time is more valuable than money at this stage of my life.

I think a good compromise is to make anyone who can't fit into a seat with the armrest down pay extra, but let them have the seat next to them be empty. They've paid for it and no one wants to sit there anyway.

My pet peeve is armrest hogs. Get it straight, people. If you're in the aisle seat, you get the armrest on the aisle side. If you're in the window, you get the armrest on the window side. The guy in the middle gets both. {end of second rant}

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Airplanes are a mode of transportation. If they are allowed on long bus rides, car rides and train rides, they should be allowed on Airplanes. Wear headphones or earplugs (nice ones, not the **** airlines hand out) if cell phone conversations are so terrible.
I always carry on when I can, of course. However, when I get the chance and if I'm not travelling to a 3rd world country I will like to try the mail.
If you can't fit in one-seat w/o spillover onto someone else's personal space, then you pay for the extra seat. I have no idea how an airline would handle this though. But if they can move you to section with a free seat near it then they let you use it for free.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hadamulletonce
Should cell phones be allowed on airplanes? Do you check your luggage or carry on? Should obese airline passengers pay more?
Maybe they'll take a cue from the old days when the planes had a smoking section. When buying your ticket, you'll be asked cell phone or non cell phone section? Of course, to sit in the cell phone section will be a "nominal" $25 charge. I used to always carry-on my luggage until 9/11. After that, they kept changing the rules so often I never knew exactly what was & was not allowed. It started getting ridiculous...3 oz. bottle of cologne, acceptable. However, a 3.3 oz bottle of cologne banned...even if only half full. I ended up just checking it in and never had a problem with lost luggage yet. Now that airlines are charging for the first checked bag, I assume I'll carry-on my clothes, etc. and post my toiletries via USPS to the hotel I'll be staying at. What carry-on/check-in has to do with airplane etiquette I don't know. I feel if obese passengers are "overflowing" onto someone else's seat, then yes either they pay more, or the affected passenger get money back or a first-class upgrade/free flight voucher.

dave

Reaction score
I hate to fly regardless so allowing people to yap on the cellphones doesn't make much difference to me.

I carry on everything if I can fit it into a bag I know will fit in the overhead.

I am a large guy, not fat or obese, but large. I am tall, I have broad shoulders, long legs and long arms. I do not fit in airplane seats. they are TOO SMALL!!! i shouldn't have to pay more because some greedy dirtbag decided I only need 1.5 cubic feet of space in my seat to be comfortable. and yes, if you are suggesting that fat people who dont fit into seats should have to pay more, you are also suggesting that tall people should as well. that sucks.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant stand people who recline their seats without asking. I think its just common courtesy to ask.

adamsnez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
I hate to fly regardless so allowing people to yap on the cellphones doesn't make much difference to me.

I carry on everything if I can fit it into a bag I know will fit in the overhead.

I am a large guy, not fat or obese, but large. I am tall, I have broad shoulders, long legs and long arms. I do not fit in airplane seats. they are TOO SMALL!!! i shouldn't have to pay more because some greedy dirtbag decided I only need 1.5 cubic feet of space in my seat to be comfortable. and yes, if you are suggesting that fat people who dont fit into seats should have to pay more, you are also suggesting that tall people should as well. that sucks.

tall people generally take up vertical space [not precious space]. fat people take up horizontal room - which is valuable. i hate sitting on buses (planes too, but rarely fly) if people are spilling onto me. so gross. worse is being jammed in between two! i've seen two people take up 4 seats on a bus WTFFFF!!!!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
My pet peeve is armrest hogs. Get it straight, people. If you're in the aisle seat, you get the armrest on the aisle side. If you're in the window, you get the armrest on the window side. The guy in the middle gets both. {end of second rant}
Really? How does it work when there are more than three seats in a row? Common armrests are shared space. That's why aisle and window seats are more desirable than middle seats.

Originally Posted by dshin
I cant stand people who recline their seats without asking. I think its just common courtesy to ask.
The reclining nature of my seat is part of the ticket price. It has no bearing on the person behind me. It doesn't affect their legroom or anything. At most, it makes it more difficult to get out of your seat, but that's not something that should be happening very often while in flight.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin

Odd, I have never once been asked nor thought to ask the person behind me if I could recline my seat. I would think you are entitled to the recline function of your seat...If they want room for their laptop (though with how little some airlines let their seats recline, this might be a moot point) they probably should have opted for first class...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to fly even though I must do it at least once a month. I have found that ignoring everyone and making myself comfortable is the one thing that works. I bring my mp3 player, noise cancelling headphones,things to read and puzzle books to keep me occupied. I also will take a Xanax if it is really bad and just sleep. That may sound extreme but I arrive comfortable while eveyone else is a mess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads