• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Store Catch and Release or PSA

emptym

Reaction score
I keep seeing great items at thrift stores that don't fit me or wouldn't get any use by me.

A few weeks ago, it was a half dozen Brioni suits. Last week, it was a Kiton (46?, at Community Thrift on Valencia). Tonight, I passed up on a large Zenga suit and a virtually new Hartmann tweed combination lock suitcase (Goodwill on Mission).

It's tough to pass these up. But I don't want to go to the trouble of buying them to sell. So I thought I'd start a thread in which I -- and anyone else, in any city -- could post a great deal we just passed up. Hopefully, someone else who might appreciate the item could then pick it up. Sound good?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Great idea ... and I think it would really benefit some of us international members who don't have access to the great thrift stores that you guys in the US have

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KITON in a 46 EU???? GET IT FOR MEeeeeee
smile.gif

emptym

Reaction score
^ Sadly, US 46. I think it was a long too.

In any case, my pt. was that I didn't want to buy stuff to sell to others. I just wanted to let others know it was there so they could pick it up... I'm a lazy bastard. But someone else in the city may want to go pick something up for you, or someone else.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was the Kiton going for? I need to get into the city more often.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
^ Sadly, US 46. I think it was a long too.

As we have talked about that Kiton..if you find it again...and i hope you do...then you know what to do with it...

Regards.

emptym

Reaction score
^ I don't think we talked about that Kiton. Have we talked about any Kiton? I don't remember. Could you refresh my memory? ^^ I think it was something like $25. It was brownish w/ fine stripes. May have been 44 or 48.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 48L. Your killing me. I sure wish you'd start buyin' and sellin'...
musicboohoo[1].gif

emptym

Reaction score
^That's for the fish you took home, not the ones you left behind. No?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
^That's for the fish you took home, not the ones you left behind. No?

You can always brag about stuff you don't care for or care not enough to flip. People do that all the time. Karma and all.

goodlife

Reaction score
I can tell you where to get a baby grand piano for $400 in Chicago. It seems to be in working order, but unfortunately someone thought it was a good idea to paint it white. Probably would not be too hard to strip given all the flat surfaces. Honestly if my apartment was bigger, I would have bought it even though the gf would kill me because I haven't finished my last furniture project.

goodlife

Reaction score
BTW it is the White Elephant in Lincoln Park at Halsted and Fullerton.

emptym

Reaction score
Maybe you guys are right, but I rarely if ever saw people post things they passed up on the bragging thread. Happy to just post there, though, if that's the consensus.

Went to the Salvation Army at Valencia and Caesar Chavez today. They had a nice, older Samuelsohn in a medium gray herringbone. I'd say 42 short and portly. Zegna mainline suit, lighter blue in 44 or so, long -- $4 and good condition except for a few small, 1/4" holes. Also, a blue Zegna shirt 17" neck several BB shirts in larger sizes, and a pair of older, black Florsheim imperial longwings, 8.5 B.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads