• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excited to have discovered SF!

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I might as well introduce myself and give a little bit of background information!

I started getting pretty big into designer clothes when I was 18-19. I had an abundance of money and wasted way too much on big labels that catered little to style (or at least the way I wore them). Everything in my closet was 7FAM, R&R, Lacoste, Fred Perry, D&G, Boss etc;

That phase slowly ended as my money grew thin, I progressively made the transition to "Sneakerhead", spending far too much money on every rare Nike Dunk or Jordan that was out there. Big print tees and Nudies were all I wore for the past couple years. I got even lazier and it just become whatever jeans lying around and whatever t-shirt wasn't dirty.

I decided this year that as I turned 22 it was time I start dressing my age, and a little more classy. I don't think I'm ready for the transition completely away from streetwear, but at least a higher end version of it.

I still stand by Nudies, even though they're becoming less rare I still love the cut/fit/color/versatility of this denim. I wore my RRDS for nearly 2 years before my first wash with minimal repairs and they turned out lovely. I've gotten significantly bigger because of varsity hockey, so I can't really pull off the thin look at all, the only Nudies I've found that fit my style are Ralfs.

Anyways, I've veered off topic, but I'd just like to say I admire many of your styles and look forward to adapting some characteristics so that I may discover a style that suits what I'm searching for!

You can't buy style and I'm slowly learning that! I invested in a pair of RRDG and plan on wearing them quite religiously for the next little bit, simple sweaters and hoodies and few nice pairs of loafers/boots I figure are the next big investments I need to make.

Any suggestions as to where to start? I believe I'm going to purchase a pair of sperry chukkas in tan, or Zapota Del Barcas sometime this week, but I'm open to suggestions!

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody?
frown.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you want, a laundry list of must-have garments and codified dos-and-don'ts so you can be Mr. Fashion? Sorry, there is no one way to dress stylishly, so we can't tell you what you must to do to be stylish. That's a journey you're going to have to make for yourself. Everyone tries to win the race, but only one reaches the goal, etc.

If you tell us what you want, however, we might be able to tell you how to do it better.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry bud, I guess I didn't make it very clear. I was looking for some nice intro boots, nothing too extreme, I don't want to stand out. I want my fashion style to be subtle, but noticeable by those with an eye for style..know what I mean? I'm in the market for a cheaper boat shoe too, and I'm slightly inclined to Sperry Chukkas and Del Barcas, I can't many cheaper alternatives though. I'm also looking for a cheaper flannel, but I'm not sure how accurate the sizing is. Mark's work warehouse didn't carry much for the style I was looking for, anyone have experience with buffalo flannels? I've heard they fit a little larger than normal.. I'm 5'10, 170 pounds, but I'm a lot bigger in my legs than I am on top.. I was looking at some of these, reputable? http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-HEAVY-BUFFAL...d=p3286.c0.m14

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to disrupt anything. I did some sifting through the search feature, but couldn't really find specifically what I was looking for, especially about a cheaper boat shoe.

Sorry mates

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
There are millions of "help me with my style" threads.
I know I'm not alone on this but this past month on the forum has felt like an infinite loop. Enough to warrant dedicated thread so we can stop the insanity?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I know I'm not alone on this but this past month on the forum has felt like an infinite loop. Enough to warrant dedicated thread so we can stop the insanity?

This is what 'Ask a question/get an answer' is for.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry gents, didn't mean to get everyone all huffed up..just got kind of carried away after introducing myself then asked a few questions.

You can delete this thread.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Between this and the 5 new T-shirt spam threads that pop up a day this forum is getting mighty tiresome.

1up,
Spend some time looking at sites like contextclothing.com, farinelli's blog at the top. helloblackbird.blogspot.com to get a feel for what you like. Check out apc.fr for nice basics that won't go out of style for the most part and www.southwillard.com for a little variety of shoes.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
This is what 'Ask a question/get an answer' is for.
Apparently not since "no one answers my posts lol."
Originally Posted by jet
Between this and the 5 new T-shirt spam threads that pop up a day this forum is getting mighty tiresome.
V, you and I have been agreeing a little too often lately for my tastes. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

1up,
Spend some time looking at sites like contextclothing.com, farinelli's blog at the top. helloblackbird.blogspot.com to get a feel for what you like. Check out apc.fr for nice basics that won't go out of style for the most part and www.southwillard.com for a little variety of shoes.

Thank you very much for your input. I've seen a lot of your posts and they're very helpful and insightful. Props for your style and humble attitude.

Sorry for the inconvenience again guys

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Apparently not since "no one answers my posts lol."

V, you and I have been agreeing a little too often lately for my tastes. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable.

frealz, quick let's rip on jason's nipple tight shirts

Originally Posted by 1up
Thank you very much for your input. I've seen a lot of your posts and they're very helpful and insightful. Props for your style and humble attitude.

Sorry for the inconvenience again guys

Don't trip off these guys they're just tired of seeing a lot of the same threads. Also check the what are you wearing thread at the top, go through a couple dozen pages and see what you can see yourself wearing as far as shoes and all that stuff, then ask some more questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads