• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gherrmann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's Fox. The closest thing I know to it in any current book is in Minnis, and that version is a lot heavier and stiffer. Also, the stripe is much louder.

that's too bad. I quite like the subtlety of the stripe. overly bold stripes don't really speak to me.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Minnis flannel Manton was talking about. It is beautiful stuff, and marketed as a Hardy book these days.

Picture002-14.jpg

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Unfunded liabilities for Spring/Summer 2008.
blush.gif
I think I will probably have the suit made first. I could possibly use the jacket more, but my wife doesn't like it. She says she thinks it looks like a tablecloth. Not sure where she got that from!
DSC09296.jpg

Ermenegildo Zegna 80% cashmere, 20% silk. A phenomenal hand. Light but feels like it has real guts.
DSC09308.jpg

Not even six months have gone by and the last piece is in the works. The Zegna is being made and will be ready next week, a little early for spring/summer '09 but there you have it. I think it could be something very special. 3 open patch pockets with a jaunty shape to them, minimal lining, side vents, almost no shoulder.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not even six months have gone by and the last piece is in the works. The Zegna is being made and will be ready next week, a little early for spring/summer '09 but there you have it. I think it could be something very special. 3 open patch pockets with a jaunty shape to them, minimal lining, side vents, almost no shoulder.

That zegna would have looked fab as a suit. One could always wear it as separates too.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
You think? It's a nice spring sports jacket.

I like the blue with the stripes for a jacket with the white pants.

Definitely a jacket only.

Oscar likes to make a bold statement. Actually, there is a guy who gets plaid DB suits in colors and patterns that would make him seem rather conservative.
wink.gif

Not all that bold. Just not the blue or grey business suit.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ool#post267351

Still think your fabric would be amazing as a suit, as pants with solid Barbour type quilted jacket and as a sports coat.

09010622281hp2.jpg

-

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've instituted a new rule: I have to move fabric out to the tailor before I can bring new stuff in. So, to celebrate a piece of tweed and a piece of flannel going out the door, I picked up a couple pieces for next summer.

The first piece is a lightweight open-woven linen and silk blend that'll make a jacket:

b3866ea1.jpg

e8c21340.jpg

The second piece is a navy lightweight 20% mohair blend that'll make a summer suit (someday). The first pic is more colour-accurate:

845c024b.jpg

e8975d22.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
I've instituted a new rule: I have to move fabric out to the tailor before I can bring new stuff in. So, to celebrate a piece of tweed and a piece of flannel going out the door, I picked up a couple pieces for next summer. The first piece is a lightweight open-woven linen and silk blend that'll make a jacket:
b3866ea1.jpg
e8c21340.jpg
The second piece is a navy lightweight 20% mohair blend that'll make a summer suit (someday). The first pic is more colour-accurate:
845c024b.jpg
e8975d22.jpg

Please take a better photo of the plaid. The mohair is very interesting. It looks like a denim and would make an interesting Hip outfit. What do you plan to make?

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I busted a move and went for some 14/15 oz Fresco in mid grey, which was actually quite dark. I know 14/15 oz is not an ideal weight for Fresco, but I thought it was worth an experiment :) I hope my photography shows off the weave in all its rough glory.
MinnisFresco1415MidGreyRoll.jpg
MinnisFresco1415MidGrey.jpg
MinnisFresco1415MidGreyButt.jpg
Finally, the boring, but obligatory, birdseye view
MinnisFresco1415MidGreyBori.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
I busted a move and went for some 14/15 oz Fresco in mid grey, which was actually quite dark. I know 14/15 oz is not an ideal weight for Fresco, but I thought it was worth an experiment :) I hope my photography shows off the weave in all its rough glory.
MinnisFresco1415MidGrey.jpg

Thanks for the obligatory electron microscope view. What do you plan to use this for?

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the obligatory electron microscope view. What do you plan to use this for?

Labcoat :)

No, no, really, I will attempt a suit with a single-breasted, two-button coat with three patch pockets. This could be a disaster or a triumph of the 14/15 ounces. I am still thinking about it, however.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
Labcoat :)

No, no, really, I will attempt a suit with a single-breasted, two-button coat with three patch pockets. This could be a disaster or a triumph of the 14/15 ounces. I am still thinking about it, however.

Put brown buttons on it and copyright it as a "frazersuit."
devil.gif

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Put brown buttons on it and copyright it as a "frazersuit."
devil.gif

Hah! Look out for a thread discussing just such a thing in a month or two

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads