• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobbler in Seoul?

coiol

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good cobbler in Seoul? I'd prefer someone who speaks a bit of English, but I can point and gesture if necessary. The streets are littered with those little box shoe repair/polish places but I don't think I'd trust them to deal with anything other than those horrible plasticky shoes that every Korean man wears.

I'd like to get a new sole put on a pair of shoes and I've never had a resoling done before. Is it complicated in any way, or just a simple procedure?

hardfrag

Reaction score
there is some good peach cobbler in my neighborhood around silim

sage_incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coiol
Does anyone know of a good cobbler in Seoul? I'd prefer someone who speaks a bit of English, but I can point and gesture if necessary. The streets are littered with those little box shoe repair/polish places but I don't think I'd trust them to deal with anything other than those horrible plasticky shoes that every Korean man wears.

I'd like to get a new sole put on a pair of shoes and I've never had a resoling done before. Is it complicated in any way, or just a simple procedure?

Those small littlbe box shoe repair/polishe places are good for shoe-shining or heel change. Please note that as most Korean men are wearing black shoes, having your brown shoes polished there might be a bit adventure, especially your shoes have some "exotic colors" like burgundy, chestnut, tan, etc.

If you want to simply get your shoes polished and change the heel, it's okay. But make sure they will not "fire-shine" (an odd way of polishing shoes to make them look like patent shoes) for it will surely hurt your shoes. Polishing is cheap nowadays, given the dive-nosed value of the Korean currency - at most 2000~3000 won. (1.5-2 dollars.)

Want to resole the leather welt of your 700 US dollar Church's shoes? Don't ever try it in Korea. They will simply put an ugly rubber patch on the sole.

I am Korean in my early 30's and lived in Seoul for more than 20 years. So ask me anything about Seoul.

aleeboy

Reaction score
For nice pair of shoes, STAY AWAY from those little stalls that they have scattered around business districts and dept. stores. You want to resole your shoes, right? I would recommend this to a place called Myong-dong Sa 명동사. Look for them. They do a lot of repairs for high-end designer shoes and leather accessories.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with the little stalls. Including that wax/oil they put on which takes ages to get out.

jamo

Reaction score
I live just outside of Seoul and I've had this problem as well. I have gone to those stalls, with predictably horrible results.

Can anyone give me more information about where 명동사 is? I assume it's in Myeong-dong?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't really tried those street box places yet. Thanks for the heads up, I was going to use them. I know there is a shoemaker in Itaewon that makes a bespoke pair for about 100won+. He might be able to help you. His shoes are not of the best quality though from what I saw. Here's his info:

POPEYE COLLECTION & SPECIAL LEATHER
Owner: YANG HYUN

117-6 ITAEWON-DONG, YONGSAN-KU
SEOUL, KOREA

Phone: 82-2-796-8655

He is located in the basement

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads