• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

seeking recs for Houston Steakhouse

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So we're coming up on out tenth anniversary and a steakhouse is the only option. So, I'm curious who has recs for a fairly quiet steakhouse in or around Houston.

Anyone?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been to the Houston outpost, but the Dallas Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is very good. Beef is top quality, all aged USDA prime, sides are luxurious, and the menu is well curated and not needlessly large (a steakhouse should have its priorities in line, after all.) I know little about wine but I can tell you that the list is absurdly massive, well regarded, and not exclusively really expensive bottles.

TX Monthly said it was the best steakhouse in the state.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
We went to C&H a few years back when it had just opened. C&H was or is owned by Pappas but not as ritzy as the PB's location. Mrs. Thomas kind of has a thing against the Pappas chains. Nothing personal, they just put up more of a production than she likes. We're both fairly low-key, low-maintenance, particularly when it comes to food.

I ended up making reservations at Brenner's. Have yet to hear a bad thing about the place.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been to Brenner's, Smith and Wollensky, Vic and Anthony's, Willie G's, Strip House and Capital Grill. Out of those I'd choose SW first. None of those places are really low-maintenance. They're all kind of an upscale ritzy type place.

Kaizen

Reaction score
I tend to go to Del Frisco's when I'm in the mood for steak. However, Brenner's is a better choice for something romantic. I just noticed that they have a second location. Looks like they're in the old Rainbow Lodge location. Which one are you going to?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am writing for the Austin edition of the Fearless Critic guide. You guys should check out the Houston book. The book ranks them as Vic & Anthony's, Lynn's, Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Smith & Wollensky, Brenner's.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
an expose on austin restaurants?

i'm intrigued and petrified at the same time. i know some things....

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaizen
I tend to go to Del Frisco's when I'm in the mood for steak. However, Brenner's is a better choice for something romantic. I just noticed that they have a second location. Looks like they're in the old Rainbow Lodge location. Which one are you going to?

We're going to the Katy Freeway location. It will be a bear to get to, but should be free of the yuppie/oenophile/cigar/BMW crowd which I'd rather steer clear from for this occasion.

Kaizen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
We're going to the Katy Freeway location. It will be a bear to get to, but should be free of the yuppie/oenophile/cigar/BMW crowd which I'd rather steer clear from for this occasion.

I've only eaten there once (I do everything I can to avoid all that construction), but they have a nice outdoor area that seems perfect for a romantic evening.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaizen

Is Rainbow Lodge no longer around? I had some really nice wild game dishes there.

I used to go to Lynn's since my father worked nearby, and the gumbo was probably my favorite part of the meal. The steaks were good, but they really nailed the sausage and guinea fowl gumbo.

Note that I haven't lived in Houston since 1993.

Kaizen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Is Rainbow Lodge no longer around?

Looks like they're still around. They moved to a 100 year old log cabin over on Ella & TC Jester in 2006.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I eat at Smith & Wollensky several times a month. That's our favorite steak place in town by a longshot. Sorry for the late post, I hope you enjoyed your night out and would like to hear about your experience wherever you ended up.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, it was also my father's birthday that same weekend, and my parents felt like we kids just shouldn't be alone on such a special night, so they joined us (grrrr). In response I cancelled the Brenner's reservations (I won't pay for 5 people) and we ended up at Taste of Texas. In all we had a good, relaxed time, the steak was good but mine was poorly trimmed.

My dad remarked that the gent trimming the steaks looked like a rookie (I'm shocked he didn't lose a finger!), and he was right. My t-bone had gristle along the sides - is that still an unforgivable offense? - but the desserts and vino washed away my concerns.

One of these weekends we'll end up at Del Frisco's or S&W or Brenner's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads