• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xacus shirts in Sydney

sydneycentric

Reaction score
Where can i buy Xacus business shirts in Sydney? Do Harrolds still sell them? Also, where in the world are Xacus boutique stores?

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydneycentric
Where can i buy Xacus business shirts in Sydney? Do Harrolds still sell them? Also, where in the world are Xacus boutique stores?

You can still buy Xacus shirt from Harrolds but at around a shirt $300 there are a lot of better options.
Have you consider getting a bespoke shirt? For around $200 you have a great shirt made by Charles Nakhle shirt makers at Parramatta.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are:
1. Blousey
2. Over priced
3. cheap buttons
4. low arm holes
5. Harrolds sell them - that alone is bad enough..

Just my AU$0.02 so not worth much in US$..

sydneycentric

Reaction score
Whats wrong with Xacus? I love their collars and the way they taper in...

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
What's wrong with them? I've never seen them first hand but I understand on good authority that they're blousey, over-priced, have cheap buttons, low armholes and that you can get a high quality MTM shirt for less money.

That's what I've heard.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they make them to different specs for different stores. I have two, and they're very opposite of what Phat Guido wrote.

Also, where in the world are Xacus boutique stores?
I don't think there are any. It's my understanding that they're more of a supplier to other boutiques/shops.

ZengaGent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tchoy
You can still buy Xacus shirt from Harrolds but at around a shirt $300 there are a lot of better options.
Have you consider getting a bespoke shirt? For around $200 you have a great shirt made by Charles Nakhle shirt makers at Parramatta.

+1. Nahkle bespoke shirts are on average $210 - $235, and the fabrics are excellent. I bought a shirt in Sic Tess two-fold 120s fabric for $235, MOP buttons and all!

Also, you might want to try the Herringbone-suiting shop at QVB. Ethan Newton (EthanDesu on this forum) is the head tailor, and he'll make you an excellent MTM shirt in Thomas Mason fabric for around $295.

Both are cheaper and more worthwhile (from my experience) than Xacus.
smile.gif

Regards,
Z

Zubberah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
they are:
1. Blousey
2. Over priced
3. cheap buttons
4. low arm holes

6. Not a fan of the cloth quality either at this price.

sydney lawyer

Reaction score
I would agree with all of the above criticisms. I had a Xacus shirt once. It was not such a great shirt. the collar was gigantic. The material was stretchy and did not wear well. I have just had a dozen shirts made by Charles Nakhle, and they are the best shirts I have ever worn.

And yes, Harrolds is not my favourite place either, although my one and only Brioni tie was bought htere some years ago (a very nice tie). I go there for ties only, during sales time. I often come away empty handed because many of the ties are really OTT five minute fashion items.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Xacus dinner shirt I bought for AUD100 a few years ago when Harrolds had that outlet shop outside Henry Buck's. Nothing to write home about but pretty good quality.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydney lawyer
I would agree with all of the above criticisms. I had a Xacus shirt once. It was not such a great shirt. the collar was gigantic. The material was stretchy and did not wear well. I have just had a dozen shirts made by Charles Nakhle, and they are the best shirts I have ever worn.

And yes, Harrolds is not my favourite place either, although my one and only Brioni tie was bought htere some years ago (a very nice tie). I go there for ties only, during sales time. I often come away empty handed because many of the ties are really OTT five minute fashion items.

I only went to Harrold's because I once dated a girl who worked there ...and got 40% staff discount off some cufflinks I was interested in!

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
they are:
1. Blousey
2. Over priced
3. cheap buttons
4. low arm holes

Pulling up an old thread because I had never heard of this brand and did a search on it...

I never saw a Xacus shirt until the pink linen one with two chest pockets and a button-down collar I bought on Sunday. I had never even heard of the company.

Are the buttons cheap? Well, they're plastic, so probably. They look like MOP at a glance. They are sewn on with shanks, which I appreciate.

Is the shirt blousey with low armholes? Keeping in mind a sample of one (that is, one shirt style/fabric in a couple colors) I would say quite the opposite. The body of the shirt is quite slim, armholes are about as high as RTW gets. Nicely fitting shirt.

The collar roll on this particular pattern is excellent, long and floppy with a graceful S-roll, along the lines of Truzzi's BD collar shirts.

This particular linen is nice to my eyes and fingers, but I am no expert on fabric quality.

What about the construction? Well, all the Xacus shirts I saw were linen. Lots of expensive linen shirts are double-needle tailored when the same brand's cotton shirts are single-needle tailored, so I don't know if double-needle sewing says anything about the construction as opposed to the fabric. The stitching generally is not as dense as one finds on a Charvet or Fray. As I mentioned earlier, the buttons are shanked, which is an improvement compared to a lot of expensive shirts. So I would say while that the construction quality might not sell the shirts to a real aficionado of shirt construction, the construction is good enough to be a non-issue if the fit is right.

Do they have the "handwork" of a Truzzi or Borrelli? No, there are no little dots of stitching on the inner shoulder seam for instance. But they also cost less, at least based on this small sample.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zubberah
6. Not a fan of the cloth quality either at this price.

+1. I've only seen Xacus shirts in Singapore - in Takashimaya - and for the price you are paying, the cloth quality was bad. You're better off getting a bespoke shirt.

Though I have to say that they sometimes have eye-catching colours and patterns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads