• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I get my (currently long-distance) girlfriend for her birthday?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Dick in a box.

Wait, this might not work...

doh!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
my ex - for those of you who follow my lovelife sagas (*coughwhodinicough*), this is the crazy one from Hong Kong - did something amazing for my birthday when we were living apart.

My first year in Vietnam (she was in HK), I was pretty lonely out here then, hadn't really made any friends etc. This is how I didn't roll.

So - unbeknownst to me - she went into my laptop and exported my address book, then went back to HK and emailed basically all of my friends from all over the world, and asked them to film a video message for me on their cameras, or take a photo of themselves doing something that we used to do together or something that they thought would mean something to me - and then email it back to her.

She compiled then a Powerpoint presentation that was like 80 slides long, full of friends from just all over the place wishing me well on my birthday. There were guys I went to college with in the US doing keg stands in my honor, my old kickboxing teacher in Australia shot this thing of him kicking over the cameraman and then the class yelling 'that was for you Matt' to a horizontal camera...boys back in the pool hall in Adelaide where we used to shoot pool...softball dudes in Singapore singing happy birthday...my mother shot a greeting, my brother and (now) sister in law with a cake....all sorts.

At midnight she called me, said happy birthday, and sent me a download link. Have to admit, sitting alone in a place where I didn't know anyone on my birthday, I had tears in my eyes watching it. Best gift of my life.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why'd you let her go? that is some next-level caring and creativity.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
most in love I have ever been by far. But she was crazy. That same next-level caring very easily morphed into next-level vitriole, and we fought like cat and dog. Unfortunate, but we just couldn't make it work. Distance of course worsened the situation, and eventually I just had to extricate myself. Couldn't take it anymore. Toughest breakup of my life, and I still miss her now.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
most in love I have ever been by far. But she was crazy. That same next-level caring very easily morphed into next-level vitriole, and we fought like cat and dog. Unfortunate, but we just couldn't make it work. Distance of course worsened the situation, and eventually I just had to extricate myself. Couldn't take it anymore. Toughest breakup of my life, and I still miss her now.

bet the make-up sex was incredible, though
blush.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
there's only so much make-up sex you can handle before you just wish you were in a relationship that didn't involve having to make-up so often.

Anyhow, sorry OP, slight hijack in progress there, but hope that what she did for me gives you some ideas. Budget an issue for you...well that cost her nothing.

- Matt

TJS1589

Reaction score
^^ crazy is bad. been there.. And what about one of those digital photo frames for your g/f.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, buy a DIY marital aid kit......

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Dick in a box.

Wait, this might not work...

lol. damn you. when i read the thread title, that was my immediate response. I asked myself, how many posts it would take for someone to say it. Not many, apparently.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
lol. damn you. when i read the thread title, that was my immediate response. I asked myself, how many posts it would take for someone to say it. Not many, apparently.

I was surprised it took so many.
confused.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i married my caring but crazy SO. it's been 10 years and 3 kids and she is still ******* crazy.

Originally Posted by m@T

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schnurretiger
Maybe something, you could do simultanously, even though you are on different continents.
Actually me and HK girl used to do this a lot. We would go to the DVD store, back and forth SMS til we found a movie we both wanted to see, then go home, put the movie on, get on Skype, "3,2,1 play" and watch it together.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads