• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What artwork is on your walls?

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
^Silly Reggs, hanging up your own artwork is tacky!
You're not allowed to be proud of what you do.

I meant more posting here, and providing a picture. It is surely a product of my anti-productive self-hatred and forced modesty, unconsciously I envy those confident enough to advertise directly and proudly what they create.

It is, however, tacky to deliberately copy another artist's work just because you don't want to buy it. Though understandable.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My ultimate art are some of Diego Velazquez's portraits of grotesque Spanish royalty and perhaps a Rothko to balance it out.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
My grandfather once passed on a large Johns flag because the dealer would not go down another $2500. A bit of a mistake, I would say.
WOW! Just a SMALL mistake, haha, but art is one of those things that you just NEVER know. I remember a few years ago when Johns sold one of his lesser-known flags from his personal collection (kind of a blagh white one) for $20mil. Another was sold recently (IIRC) for something close to $80mil.
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Yah...just collect Magic cards as mini-art instead. I've started to wear my sexuality on my wall.
I noticed that... I think I saw a naked man above and beside your Murakami! Sacre bleu! If I were going to have a nude on my wall... I think I'd want something less provocative/attractive than downright arresting/mildly disturbing... something like Lucian Freud or Francis Bacon...
Originally Posted by LabelKing
My ultimate art are some of Diego Velazquez's portraits of grotesque Spanish royalty and perhaps a Rothko to balance it out.
Me too! Although, a really creepy Goya wouldn't be bad, either. And, for Rothko, one of the later ones... very dark... very big...

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've a variety of things about... two more recent purchases are etchings by Minn/Wisconsin artist Larry Welo.

fallow_full5b.jpg

i_remember_2005_full.jpg

Both are 8x10 intaglio with chine collÃ
00a9.png

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Young_Virgin_Autosodomised_by_her_own_Chastity.jpg

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My mother in law is an artist so our walls are covered with her paintings.
Some pics here

Me likey.

I have this set of 6 record displays, through which I rotate choice selections every other month or so. Currently, a study in hot 80s r&b chicks...
20081014-2.jpg

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My mother in law is an artist so our walls are covered with her paintings. Some pics here
I remember you posting those before. They look great. I really want to get one of the giant cut paper compositions by Casey Ruble, but really doubt my budget will stretch. Let a Thousand Flowers Bloom, 2006, gouache on paper, 48 x 120 inches (!)
Flowers.jpg
Detail:
Flowers%201.jpg
Flowers%203.jpg
Flowers%202.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Me likey.
Originally Posted by chorse123
I remember you posting those before. They look great.
Thanks guys - I will pass the compliments along to her

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Years ago I bought on Ebay a bunch of old menus from Lido, Crazy Horse, Mulen Rouge and other lesser known venues. They all have original artwork by guys like Gruau or Brenot and their likes. I took it to my local CopyCop scanned them to triple the size and then framed it with nice mats.
I highly recommend it. Those dinner prices from 50s & 60s in French Francs look quite nostalgic today.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely not a big fan of prints, reproductions, posters.

Go to art shows (real ones, not the commercial ones) and buy real art that you like. It's addictive.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Definitely not a big fan of prints, reproductions, posters.

Go to art shows (real ones, not the commercial ones) and buy real art that you like. It's addictive.

Could you please post an example of real non-commerical art that you bought ? I'd like to be exposed to the real art once in a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads