• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how long does it take to get from size 35 chest to size 38?

thegreenlight

Reaction score
I've found that the smallest size for most suits is usually 38, so I've decided to start lifting weights to try to increase my chest size from 35 to 38. Does anyone have any idea how long this might take? (I plan to lift for one hour every other day)

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
according to my calculation 5 and a half days.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's probably not going to happen. Giving you the benefit of the doubt- 2 or 3 years.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many inches can people who start lifting regularly add onto their chest?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I don't know because I'm not sure what size I was when I started. I have a pretty medium sized frame- and I worked my chest a lot. At 155 lbs I was doing sets with 205+, and when I was working out a lot, my chest was my most accomplished muscle group. Still- over one year, working out 3+ days a week, and increasing my 10 rep bench from 135 to 205, I don't think I gained more than 1.5". My smallest chest size was ~37" (right out of college and a bad exercise routine) and my largest was ~ 39", right after 1 year of working in a world class gym as a personal trainer, keeping to a regular routine, and eating well. Right now, I'm probably back to around 37" I haven't lifted seriously in ~3 months, and I do so much muay thai it's making me sinewy. That would be my other point- if you don't want to deflate and lose your chest size when you're that small, you can't stop working your chest or suddenly your clothes will be loose on you.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
around 5'11" on a good morning.

aleeboy

Reaction score
I've learnt that to put on size, you need to work hard.

What does this mean?

- Eat more, so you put on weight
- Exercise harder, so some weight you do put on is muscle

That's about it. It will be a lot easier if you are an easy-gainer too.

Not very scientific and this would be my best guess.

How long it will take... is anyone's guess. I will stake 27 days

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I added 2" to my chest measurement in about fourth months. Eating enough food and working out your back hard are critical.

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
I am one of those people that believe your body will only get so big even with lifting all the time. I know i will be corrected, but even at my peak of lifting and working out everyday the most i gain is an inch maybe 2. Cant find a 36? How old are you? You may still have some growing years still left in you.
Ive said my peace now let the contradictions and proving me to be an idiot commence.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
I've learnt that to put on size, you need to work hard.

Right on brother.
So many people think working hard is doing the same 3 sets of 6 ad nausem and then whine and give up because they dont get big enough, quick enough.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The biggest determinent of chest size is back thickness (lats, spinal erectors, and upper trapezius).

'Working harder' is ******* marsupialed. Ignore everything beasty says.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
The biggest determinent of chest size is back thickness (lats, spinal erectors, and upper trapezius).

Explain this to me...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Explain this to me...

He's correct. Chest is measured around the upper body, not just on the pecs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads