• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Shoemaker's blog... or something like that

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I believe, he is referring to the "˜fancy-wheel' employed on top of the welt.

sztuper%20-%20sztuper.jpg

http://www.sattlerbedarf-shop.de/sho...%3DStuppr.2%26

"˜Stupp' in German, "˜Sztuper' in Polish and probably something similar in Hungarian.

Yes, we use german words..
smile.gif
So: Fishball! This is - most probably - not a wheel. I do it with a tool, which looks a stitch marker.. A fudge wheel's (I guess this is the name), mark is a bit different. Only my opinion..

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marcell,

Here is my first upper, I made the pattern, click and sew. I never use the sewing machine before I learn shoemaking. I still don't handle the sewing machine well.

P1030496.jpg

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcellHUN
Yes, we use german words..
smile.gif
So: Fishball! This is - most probably - not a wheel. I do it with a tool, which looks a stitch marker.. A fudge wheel's (I guess this is the name), mark is a bit different. Only my opinion..

Are you using this?

6694.jpg

Pic borrow from HCC forum.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bengal-stripe,

You are right, I am talking about that "wheel."
I am learning shoemaking in chinese, so I don't really know the name of the tools in english.

The wheel I mean is the hand tool in this photo:

6683.jpg

Also borrow from hcc forum.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really enjoying this blog. I love looking at the raw photos. Craftsman-like professions run in my family. Unfortunately, I won't be working in a craft type trade, so I am considering shoe-making as a hobby when I graduate. Is this something I could eventually learn with trial & error, or would I need to learn under someone else?

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I am really enjoying this blog. I love looking at the raw photos. Craftsman-like professions run in my family. Unfortunately, I won't be working in a craft type trade, so I am considering shoe-making as a hobby when I graduate. Is this something I could eventually learn with trial & error, or would I need to learn under someone else?

Let's see.. If you start to make it with "trial and error" method - most probably you will pay double as much until you get the half level you should be (and takes 10 times more). There are many sophisticated methods, trick what you will never discover. I have seen many self taught shoemaker - with the same effort they put into shoemaking, they should be masters.

With a teacher, you can avoid a lot of mistakes, but there is a danger. You will be addicted and you will be a professional shoemaker.

I mentioned before: it is magic. Not trick, a real one. Seeing a flat material to be a wonderful, traditional product is unbelievable even after 1000 shoes. Every one has a personality - I know and remember ALL of the shoes I made (I make only individual bespoke products, so it is easy..). I know their story, who has them, I just don't get postcards from them..
smile.gif

Go to a master and learn there!

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
Are you using this?
6694.jpg
Pic borrow from HCC forum.

Yes! I have 8 different sizes, but I also use fudge wheel sometimes.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marcell,

How is my upper? I know it is ugly, but after you made it, and know how diffcult it made, then you would start to appreciate more the shoes you buy and wear.
smile.gif

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
Marcell,

How is my upper? I know it is ugly, but after you made it, and know how diffcult it made, then you would start to appreciate more the shoes you buy and wear.
smile.gif

Not bad from a beginner! Practice and practice - this will make you master. (or search for an upper maker who will make you uppers..
smile.gif
kidding). Actually most of the shoemakers don't make the uppers for themselves - that is a different craft.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcellHUN
Not bad from a beginner! Practice and practice - this will make you master. (or search for an upper maker who will make you uppers..
smile.gif
kidding). Actually most of the shoemakers don't make the uppers for themselves - that is a different craft.

I did seach and email to an upper maker in England, but no response.

jimmyshoe

Reaction score
Yes I can imagine how strange you are in other things!!! I am a shoemaker after all, so I know lol.

Going back to the clean/dirty hands debate. Do you cover your shoes in general or only very fragile leathers? And what do you use? I tend to use plastic bags now. I was trained to use white cotton, but I find that the edge ink could soak through and stain the upper. I don'tlike the fact that it leaves a small amount of impermeable plastic in the shoe, but feel that it gives the best protection.

I use covers on very pale calf, glace kid and velvet pumps. You?

jimmyshoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Yes I agree with Marcell on this one. You could spend an age training on your own but could really kickstart your making by doing a course. Try ours in NY in May or London in July 2009, carreducker.com BTW, we use a fudge wheel for marking the stitches on the welt, but agree that the single tool is more controlled and that a fudge wheel requires a more experienced hand

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads