• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avoiding suits that wrinkle. Any tips?

Interface

Reaction score
Greetings.

I have a few suits. Their materials differ somewhat with respect to their tendency to wrinkle. For instance, I have an off-the-rack suit that does not seem to wrinkle much. On the other hand, I have a made-to-measure (and therefore more expensive!) suit that wrinkles much more easily "” the pants wrinkle the most behind the knees and in the crotch; the jacket wrinkles the most on its back.

Is there a way to avoid this? How can I determine before buying a suit whether it is wrinkle-free? What questions should I ask the tailor? Should I have any reason not to search for wrinkle-free fabrics in the first place? (I ask that last question because, who knows, maybe there is much less variety of such fabrics, and maybe those fabrics have other disadvantages I don't know about?)

To summarize: I severely dislike wrinkles on my suits. Any advice on avoiding wrinkles on my future suits is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Interface.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The off the rack is likely made with a lesser grade/thicker wool. When you get into the finer woools aka "super-120's" and higher numbers, while they feel great on the hand, they will be prone to wrinkles. It's a trade-off.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy suits made from more substantial fabric. My garments made from thick flannel cloth almost never wrinkle. My garments made from light and thin super 120s tend to wrinkle much more.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tweed never wrinkles.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are some fabrics specifically woven to avoid wrinkles-- they will be tagged with such descriptors as "high-twist," "Fresco," "3- (or 4-) ply," "travel," and so on. Not usually the softest, most expensive, or most elegant but they will hold up better over a long day.

Otherwise, avoid many (not all) high-Super #s, cashmere blends, and similar deluxe touches. The old-fashioned English merchants tend to produce sturdier stuff than the Italians or other continentals. That's a gross generalization of course, but if you avoid "Super 180 Loro Piana with cashmere" you have a running jump on the problem.

Interface

Reaction score
Okay, many thanks. My made-to-measure suit indeed has a super-120 material. Guess that explains it then.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wool-Mohair should be wrinkle resistant

Interface

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
The off the rack is likely made with a lesser grade/thicker wool. When you get into the finer woools aka "super-120's" and higher numbers, while they feel great on the hand, they will be prone to wrinkles. It's a trade-off.
Originally Posted by Concordia
Otherwise, avoid many (not all) high-Super #s, cashmere blends, and similar deluxe touches. The old-fashioned English merchants tend to produce sturdier stuff than the Italians or other continentals. That's a gross generalization of course, but if you avoid "Super 180 Loro Piana with cashmere" you have a running jump on the problem.
Out of curiosity, what does the number after "Super" really tell you? In what ways is Super 120 different from Super 180? Does a lower Super-number necessarily mean it is more wrinkle-resistant?

Interface

Reaction score
Noone has an idea? I try asking again. Does
a lower Super number​
always lead to
more wrinkle-resistance?​

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Interface
Out of curiosity, what does the number after "Super" really tell you? In what ways is Super 120 different from Super 180? Does a lower Super-number necessarily mean it is more wrinkle-resistant?

Search on this. I think I remember Manton explaining well it not too long ago.

Doc4

Reaction score

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noone has an idea? I try asking again. Does

a lower Super number​

always lead to

more wrinkle-resistance?​

I don't think this is a rule. I have seen very fine 120 or 140 at Borelli which was really tough to wrinkle, while their heavier denser suitings wrinkled more easily. Maybe someone else can explain this

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The number is the number of something (spools, I think) one can make out of a given measure of raw wool. So a finer batch of fibers can be spun into a very fine thread, which can be stretched a long way. Kiton plays the inverse of this, which is to quote the thickness of their fibers in microns. A lower number <=> finer.

There are some really excellent cloths made of high-Supers threads. Just don't expect them to be cheap.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a bunch of threads on what Super #s do and don't mean if you search for them. I have Super 180s that are very wrinkle resistant, but I wouldn't suggest that that is typical of anything.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I understand that the number after the word 'Super' is an indication of how fine the thread is, but what does the term 'Super' indicate and is there a term for cloth that is not so super?

Thank you, Jim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads