• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Panama

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am impulsively taking a 2 week solo trip to Panama. No itinerary, just exploring the cities, beaches, and wildlife. Only thing I want to do for sure is get my open water SCUBA certification.

Has anyone been there? What are some fun things to do (other than purchase Panama hats) and what do you recommend I avoid? I don't expect many people to have been to this country, but it's worth a shot. Thanks!

BN7007_21.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been to Panama City, and to the canal. the city is pretty sleezy, lots of bars, strip joints, brothels.

the canal is cool - I'd suggest going out and hanging out there for a few hours, you can have a beer and watch the ships go through the locks. that is very cool. there are short cruises on the canal that you can take, too. I would do that if I had a chance.

can't tell you anything else - when I have to go to Panama, I get out quickly.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my business brings me to the country often enough that i have full apartmetn set up there. what globe says is true about the city. but eh nothr is different for example what you are looking for you can go to boca del toro and be pleased with that or around the david area. honestly one cannot judge the enitry of panama only on expereinces in cuidad de panama

kever

Reaction score
I've only been to Bocas del Toro, but the snorkeling and mostly deserted were some of the nicest I've ever seen.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool. Nice to see someone engaging in a little spontenaity.

But I do think that Panama hats are actually from / produced in Ecuador

K

Charlie Big Potato

Reaction score
Youre a little late for MTV Spring Break in Panama City - aka the "Redneck Riviera."

Not sure if you'll have enough to do to fill up 2 weeks, but here's a list of suggestions.

beach,
golf,
eat oysters,
try to get a VD,
go fishing,
ride go carts,
shipwreck island amusement park.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie Big Potato
Youre a little late for MTV Spring Break in Panama City - aka the "Redneck Riviera."

Not sure if you'll have enough to do to fill up 2 weeks, but here's a list of suggestions.

beach,
golf,
eat oysters,
try to get a VD,
go fishing,
ride go carts,

Errrrr, I think the OP meant Panama. The country Panama...

K

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie Big Potato

beach,
golf,
eat oysters,
try to get a VD,
go fishing,
ride go carts,

Thanks - good advice for a Spring Break, but I'm looking more at something off the beaten path, so I'll most likely stay away from Panama City and explore the coasts and try to meet some natives.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went through the canal during a trip to Colombia as a little kid in '68 or so. It was cool. We stopped at John McCain's birthplace and the presidential palace (I remember peacocks and a fountain). As someone already mentioned, hats are form Ecuador.....

Charlie Big Potato

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I went through the canal during a trip to Colombia as a little kid in '68 or so. It was cool. We stopped at John McCain's birthplace and the presidential palace (I remember peacocks and a fountain). As someone already mentioned, hats are form Ecuador.....

Wow, I had no idea that McCain was born outside of the United States (but on US base so obviously no concern about fitness to serve as US President).

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm heading down to Panama with my girlfriend this weekend for about 10 days for a wedding. We will have a ton of free time. Any tips for sights and must-eat local food would be appreciated. There is not much info out there about this country...

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I'm heading down to Panama with my girlfriend this weekend for about 10 days for a wedding. We will have a ton of free time. Any tips for sights and must-eat local food would be appreciated. There is not much info out there about this country...
where is the wedding being held? boquete, bocas, las tablas, or panama?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
But I do think that Panama hats are actually from / produced in Ecuador
Yeah, they are. I haven't been to panama, but I have travelled a fair bit in other Central American countries. I found doing a little research before hand, packing a rough guide, booking the first night or two then just going wherever worked. You can pick up advice on where is worth going from the guys in the hostels, see where you can get to from where you are, and it's all cheap enough that you can do pretty much whatever you want without any real planning.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
where is the wedding being held? boquete, bocas, las tablas, or panama?

It will be at a church in the city. We are staying with family in Punta Paitilla.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
It will be at a church in the city. We are staying with family in Punta Paitilla.
as for food the local variety is bad but ot worth menationing either. the only thing that yu really need to do is try a chicha on the street maybe patacones if you liek bananas.
sites around the city: the canla and casco viejo.
if oyu are willign to ravel you can go to boquete and bocas but you will need ot travel by bus or plane to do that.
if you cn plan it the darien would be a n itnerestin visti but you realy need ot plan that trip.

my advice see the the canal and casco than party the days away in the colombian bars during the day and at night calle uruguay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads