• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Will We Know When You're Dead?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading a recent poll on the ages of forum members, and finding myself in the upper range of age groups, this thought occurred to me...

Although it is in a rather casual sense, I have come to think of some people on these boards as friends. Not unlike real life friends, these virtual friends are people with whom I talk on a somewhat regular basis and share mutual likes, dislikes, ideas and concerns. If I were to lose a real life friend to illness or accident, or simply old age, there are various ways that I would find out about the loss, but here in cyberland we deal in Usernames and hidden identities. So tell me, in the event of your untimely demise, have you told any of your family members that they need to let your buddies online know that your gone?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
My girlfriend would know at the very least to call Conne and GoSurface and tell them. With those blabbermouths, you guys would know immediately.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
My girlfriend would know at the very least to call Conne and GoSurface and tell them. With those blabbermouths, you guys would know immediately.
What is she going to say? "Hi Mike, I killed Kyle by whacking him with my **** during sex. Please tell the boys over on the interwebs. Thanks."

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Back in the day when EQ was the end all and be all of MMORPGs, a very prominent character on my server died. He had been fighting a long battle with a terminal lifestyle disease, and it was a pretty sad thing. Now, this part is pretty corny, but his toon was parked /afk at a busy thoroughfare in the game, as a tribute to his passing.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What is she going to say? "Hi Mike, I killed Kyle by whacking him with my **** during sex. Please tell the boys over on the interwebs that he died happy. Thanks."

Fixed. And hopefully!

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Wonderful.

Kyle, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have facebook, word would spread almost immediately. Especially with 'RIP' messages.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
If you have facebook, word would spread almost immediately. Especially with 'RIP' messages.
Yeah. That stuff is pretty corny.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
^ Wonderful.

Kyle, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

bigstar[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

And the same to you.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
After reading a recent poll on the ages of forum members, and finding myself in the upper range of age groups, this thought occurred to me...

Although it is in a rather casual sense, I have come to think of some people on these boards as friends. Not unlike real life friends, these virtual friends are people with whom I talk on a somewhat regular basis and share mutual likes, dislikes, ideas and concerns. If I were to lose a real life friend to illness or accident, or simply old age, there are various ways that I would find out about the loss, but here in cyberland we deal in Usernames and hidden identities. So tell me, in the event of your untimely demise, have you told any of your family members that they need to let your buddies online know that your gone?

I hope that you will take this in the best possible way: while I love you all very dearly and consider this my home away from reality. when I die, notifying you all will be way down on my list of things to worry about.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"If I'm dead - you guys have been dead for weeks." - Dwight Schrute

Pylon

Reaction score
Leave a clause in your will...

"In order to receive the full benefits of the estate I have left, you will be required to post notices of my passing on the following internet forums..."

laugh.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I wonder how many MMORPGers have wills with instructions on how to handle their characters.

I'm actually training a small group of individuals to take over the Connemara persona in the event of an unfortunate accident. They are in an underground bunker in the Arizona desert, learning their craft from Harvard PhDs (who have studied Connemara for years).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads