• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's a pic. Provide style advice and win a prize.

djf881

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dj-jd
I see a lot of good advice, and I thank those who provide it. I think that the inhibiting factor against things such as wearing blue and white dress shirts under my jacket is my uncertainty regarding the appropriate dress style for my age. I am 28, and as mentioned, I've only recently begun to attempt a mature dress style. I am concerned that certain things, such as white shirts and pocket squares, are something that someone my age should not try. What do you think about this? Thanks. J
I'm 27, still live, to some degree, like I did in college, and I consider solid shirts, and especially white shirts, to be essential. Personally, I like to keep my shirts solid, and then I can wear brighter colors or bolder patterns on my ties because I don't have to worry about clashing with the shirt. Business dress is mostly a uniform, so the three most noticeable things you are likely to wear will be your tie, your shoes and your watch. If anything else about you wear stands out more than these things, it's probably because there is something wrong with it. Everyone I know who works in an office wears white dress shirts. I think they're as essential as jeans. I really like the Brooks brothers non-iron. They go 3-for-$200, but it's very easy to get a 15% discount card on the internet, and they frequently have website codes for 25% off, so you can routinely get them for $50-60 each. You can throw them in the washing machine and they look good. I rarely press mine, and they hold up very well. They don't get that soft fuzzy look from the wash, or that worn, shiny look that some shirts get. I agree on skipping the pocket squares. I've never seen anyone wearing one. Also, I think French cuffs and contrast collars are a bad idea.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
+1 on: white shirts, jeans.

-1 on: solids only, BB non-iron, pocket squares, double cuffs.

0Δ on: contrast collars.

...and I'm a 27 year old Virginian. (sometimes region matters)

djf881

Reaction score
Yeah. The solids are a personal preference, but they make it easier as a lifestyle matter, when you're building a wardrobe, because you can get away with owning fewer clothes by adhering to a sort of uniform. For example, if you own ten shirts and they're distinctive patterns and stripes, people will remember your shirt when you wear it the next week, and notice that you wear the same clothes a lot. If you have five white and five blue dress shirts, nobody will ever pay attention to your shirts.

There's nothing wrong with stripes or a windowpane sort of pattern, though, except you have to be a little bit more careful matching the tie.

I live in NYC, btw.

dj-jd

Reaction score
What about solids of gray, dark red, etc.? And about pants, khakis, jean, chino, etc... what is good, and what is bad?

Thanks

J

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lots of good advice above - some dependent upon your own tastes and some range from conservative to edgey.

All I would add is your hair colour is kinda cool so I wouldn't cut it all off if you want to keep it long. BUT ... get a new hairdresser and get them to help with a better cut and style. Longer hair still needs cutting regularly to look good and needs more styling work. Currently your hair says brown flannel and ripped jeans, while your clothes say you are aiming for something a bit more mature/classy/dressy/whatever you want to call it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I won't comment on the hair, since I have my own hair issues. But the bottomline is that is a hideous shirt. Solid light blue shirts work on everyone and are extremely easy to match.

Age shouldn't be so much of a concern. I'm 26, and I wear pocket squares and tweedy sportcoats. It's a question of being comfortable in what you wear. Anyway, you're 28: the truth is that you're not really 'young'.

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the colors... I' would (personally) select a lighter blue shirt. One important thing to remember when mixing patterns is the scale....ie: with a fine stripe shirt use a wide (or thicker) stripe tie, or a large polka dot, or a large geometric, or even a club / medallion tie.

Keep experimenting, watch movies and pay attention to the actors wardrobe to see what works and what you like.

It's MOST important to develope your own sense of style and fun doing it!
cheers.gif

djf881

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dj-jd
What about solids of gray, dark red, etc.? And about pants, khakis, jean, chino, etc... what is good, and what is bad?

Thanks

J

In general, I think dark colors are good for knits and casual shirts. I would not wear a dark-colored shirt with a tie.

I think a dark red is a great color for a tie, a polo, or a v-neck sweater. For a shirt, maybe for business casual with khakis.

Jeans are pretty easy. Don't get them exceedingly baggy and wear them on your waist. Levi's are great, but if you want to go more expensive, there are lots of upscale options. Gilt Group, which is an SF affiliate has had a bunch of sales of high-end denim, at more than 50% markdowns. PM me and I will send you an invite to join the site.

Khakis are also pretty easy. Brooks makes a good one, I think. Dockers are probably fine. People obsess about their suits and about their jeans. I think khakis are just khakis. As long as they fit, they're totally generic, in my opinion.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reconsider signing off on all your posts as "J" it's extremly confusing
eh.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agree on the hair - it needs to be styled. The length gives you options but pulled side to side is too "alfalfa" looking. Shirt/Tie combo is bad. In fact, don't wear that shirt with a jacket ever. Its a casual shirt, meant to be worn to the mall or picking up your mail, or possible while shining your shoes. Whats up with your right thumb? Is it bent back behind your palm? subscribe to the WAYWT thread in the Street wear and Mens Clothing forums for inspiration.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
No offense, but that haircut makes you look like a 40 year old trying to look 28.

Spot on. If I didn't know he OP was 28, I would have estimated late 30's.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What about solids of gray, dark red, etc.?
It made me a chuckle to read that your shirt is Calvin Klein because I nearly included a comment earlier how its' CK look wasn't working with the rest of your clothes.

Dark (anything darker than what I'd call a 'medium tone') and heavily saturated shirts were all the rage circa 98-00. The Regis look was never that good to start with. Those shirts look extremely dated now, and not in a good way.

More specifically, your shirt color need to relate to your skin tone. I can believe that your skin looks darker IRL because mine comes out looking just like that in pictures and that's not my real tone. But even if you are a few shades darker, that's not dark enough to pull off bright/saturated shirts. It takes a deep and often dark skin tone to do that.

sunshowers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Spot on. If I didn't know he OP was 28, I would have estimated late 30's.

Hey sweetie, I'm sorry but I'm a 25 year old female and I agree with this comment. I would not have guessed that you're anywhere near my age from that photo.

Long hair needs to have some shape and structure, and looks best on guys with thick, wavy hair imo. On you, it's kind of flat and stringy and makes it look like you either really need to take a shower, or your hair is thinning and you're trying to compensate for that by growing it long while you still can - a precursor to "the skullet," if you will. Neither possibility is good.

As for your outfit, there's nothing horribly wrong with any of the pieces individually, just that all together it's too much. There are too many bold, saturated colors and high-contrast patterns competing for attention.

But I can't help thinking that certain guys could still pull this off. Style is as much about confidence as the clothes on your back. Maybe what's bothering me is the fact that it looks like the clothes are wearing you instead of the other way around. You don't look comfortable in your own skin, you look stiff and posed like you're trying to be somebody you're not. That snooty nose-up-in-the-air, hand on the hip, smug smirk is not you.

Lastly, posing with the car does you no favors. Trust me, you don't want the kind of girl who is interested in the emblem on your car, and the kind of girl you do want will be turned off by the obvious pretentiousness of it. The only time you should let a girl bite your tires is if she can tell you what a four-stroke cycle is and drive a stick.

Hope this helps, and I wish you the best.
smile.gif

Haemus

Reaction score
Luckily one forumite considered there was noting wrong with your hairstyle. I second that. Enjoy your mop, and style it the way you like.
Leave folks with cleanly shaven heads whether out of necessity, or for sheer pursuit of 'style' peacefully feel trendier, or more 'professionally' looking than your good self. Wish I could sport your hairdo, but genetics decided otherwise, yet never considered shaving head in my wildest nightmares.
Your outfit is about fine, but indeed shirt and tie stripes should be of different size to work in harmony.
If you leave CK for the sakes of:
http://www.coles-shirtmakers.com/Pro...s_Options/202/

http://www.coles-shirtmakers.com/Pro...s_Option_/522/

http://www.hilditchandkey.co.uk/cgi-.../167/index.htm

you may join the '*** Euro' look which is not bad per se.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads