• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's a pic. Provide style advice and win a prize.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dj-jd
Girls like my haircut. They say so often.

You look too old to be dating "girls" and too old for that haircut. I would change the shirt (plain light blue), but other then that the look is good.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Eh, what's the prize?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
Eh, what's the prize?

The car of course... what other possible reason is there to include is so conspicuously in his picture?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll be honest, nothing much about your look or styling is thrilling me much.

First, I agree about the haircut. It may flatter your ego for girls to tell you that, but it looks slovenly. Cut it.

Next, the colors/fit/shape of the outfit are boring and unflattering. You appear to be a not altogether unattractive youngish fellow, so you should go with that. You look like a boring accountant just out of college trying to look "trendy" but still looking boring.

Try some things more "modern" or contemporary... depending on your budget, look at Jil Sander, Helmut Lang, some of the Prada basics, or even Theory. If you are on a budget, even try Zara. Slimmer jackets and pants that accentuate your skinniness and height. Simpler, thinner solid color neckties that look streamlined (shirts, too... lose the stripes and patterns). Colors that aren't so stark... NAVY, CHARCOAL... eh... try something a little more off-kilter... like battleship grey or petrol blue. I think you'd look great in some of the Teutonic or minimal euro designers... this sort of Trad *** Euro *** Hawaii vibe isn't working much.

Do you wear contacts? You might also look good with glasses... your face has that sort of shape (IMHO).

You mentioned your skin tone is more medium, but you look pale in the first pic. Go to a tanning bed now and again and get yourself some color.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My quick dime:
Your hair is fine.
Stick to white and sky blue dress shirts.
Avoid fancy pants (pants with any sort of pattern).
If you wear a navy blazer (which you should) with grey/charcoal pants you should wear a pocket square (white to start, play with colors down the road).
The patterns of shirt and tie (posted pic) don't work together.
If you insist on mixing patterns (patterned shirt with a patterned tie) make sure the patterns are of different sizes (ie, small pattern shirt with large pattern tie).
Don't mix three patterns (ie, shirt/tie/jacket all have patterns).

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
You look like the main protagonist in a movie about suburban pedophile accountants, you need to do something right now about that hair, hypnotic pattern matching and blue jacket/grey pants bullshit (I guess you can stay in suburbia).

1) Go to a real hair salon, preferably one located in a large urban center. Maybe ask a trendy woman you know (don't try to approach new ones until you get that problem sorted they'll yell for help). Long hair is all fine and dandy but it needs to be shaped accordingly (different lengths, some light hair products). You appear to have somewhat fine hair so I'd also get a blow dryer and make sure the hairdresser does something about balancing that forehead, it's quite "in your face" right now, so to speak.

2) Never pose in front of a car, it makes you look conceited, you don't have anything to be conceited about for now.

3) Follow Rach's advice and try to get acquainted with trendier designs; something colder, minimal and with few patterns. Just think of what you like in your car and get the same thing for clothes.

4) If you don't have to wear a cubicle slave outfit to work make sure you pay attention to the casual side of your wardrobe, nice jeans, sneakers, tee shirts and casual sportscoats.

dj-jd

Reaction score
I see a lot of good advice, and I thank those who provide it. I think that the inhibiting factor against things such as wearing blue and white dress shirts under my jacket is my uncertainty regarding the appropriate dress style for my age. I am 28, and as mentioned, I've only recently begun to attempt a mature dress style. I am concerned that certain things, such as white shirts and pocket squares, are something that someone my age should not try. What do you think about this?

Thanks.
J

jtang

Reaction score
Haha are you kidding? White/sky blue dress shirts are timeless and work with anything. No man is too old/young to be wearing white dress shirts. It's classic and will never go out of style.

About pocket squares... I'm 21 and I consistently wear them whenever I have a jacket/sportcoat on. It sets me apart since most kids my age don't wear them. I don't think it's ever too early to start dressing well.. so I don't think you should worry about that. Good luck.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of good advice, and I thank those who provide it. I think that the inhibiting factor against things such as wearing blue and white dress shirts under my jacket is my uncertainty regarding the appropriate dress style for my age. I am 28, and as mentioned, I've only recently begun to attempt a mature dress style. I am concerned that certain things, such as white shirts and pocket squares, are something that someone my age should not try. What do you think about this?

Thanks.
J

you don't need to try squares... not with your inexperience.

No offense, but that haircut makes you look like a 40 year old trying to look 28. Or rather, sitting on the car, a used car salesman.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest you try it for a couple (two?) weeks.
See how you feel.
(You're wearing the sh!t so if you're still self-concious you're wasting your time.)
Also, see how people react, women in particular.
(If that's important to you.)
Finally, think classic not fancy and enjoy yourself.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am concerned that certain things, such as white shirts and pocket squares, are something that someone my age should not try. What do you think about this?

Jesus wept.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark shirts can work but many happen to look dated right now.

I'm not a big fan of white shirts either. For years when I worked in broadcasting, white was a non-no so I just got out of the habit. I do have and wear them, but there are plenty of light colors to choose from: blues, pale yellows, lavender and lilac, pink, etc

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You look like the main protagonist in a movie about suburban pedophile accountants,
LOL nice call
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Try some things more "modern" or contemporary... depending on your budget, look at Jil Sander, Helmut Lang, some of the Prada basics, or even Theory. If you are on a budget, even try Zara. Slimmer jackets and pants that accentuate your skinniness and height.
Agreed. Also, I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet: I would work on your tie knots. The knot in the first picture looks a bit sloppy and loose. Working on a good, tight four-in-hand or Half-Windsor will help tidy up your appearance. Also, the dress shirt you're wearing has conspicuously curled corners - try to get some new semi-spread/cutaway collared dress shirts with nice sharp corners and some collar inserts to preserve the shape. Keep in mind that washing your shirts in the laundry with everything else can make the shirt look less crisp - that's happened to more than one of my shirts before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads