• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High School Senior Boat

as_ter_isk

Reaction score
Hello, all. I am seventeen years old and I will be attending a high school boat dance in about two weeks. It will be my first formal or semi-formal event so this will be my first chance to purchase adult-clothes. I don't want to rent a tuxedo 'cause half the fun is putting an outfit together, is it not? But I don't know where to start.

I plan to wear black shoes, pants, tie and a black jacket over a white shirt. It's simple enough but I don't know if it's good?
Any tips for a wow factor? It's a simple outfit but I would like to stand out a little bit with details..yo.

This is probably most important, what stores should I look at? I am trying to look for quality stuff (as far as quality goes in large retailers) that is not too expensive (maybe $400 for everything).

Threads, links, and pictures for reference?
Is this even the right place to ask this? Oh, and FIRST POST.
Apologies if this is the millionth thread on this question and for the poor choice of words.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please don't buy a separate black jacket and a separate pair of pants to make a suit, it looks really bad and won't match up. I'd recommend either buying a black suit or renting a tuxedo, if you rent you don't need to worry about cleaning as badly. Dances can get sweaty.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either get a suit that you can wear again (dark charcoal, navy) Or Rent a tux. You can add flair with a pocketsquare and accesories. Since this is just a school formal I suppose you could be as radical as you want (I know I was, I wore Chucks to my first one
tongue.gif
). You could go with a different coloured shirt, fun cufflinks, or funky socks etc. I agree with not wearing a separate black pants and jacket in the hope they match. Post links of what you are planning to get. Get something you will wear more than once, like black oxfords.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black suit white shirt = waiter

dont wear a charcoal or navy suit either, its a high school dance, not a job interview

if i were you i would wear what everyone else is wearing in terms of style, and for the "wow" factor just make sure what you have fits really well

rilian

Reaction score
For the price, I'd recommend going to either Zara or H&M. The styling is generally european slim, and Zara especially has displays feature outfits for parties such as the one you're going too. Zara also has stylish shoes on the cheap. The quality isn't top notch. But for the once-in-awhile high school party, I think it'll fit the bill.

Whatever you do, don't go to the prom section or high school section of Macys. I took my sister to look at prom dresses there, and I was shocked at the dismal quality and styling of the dresses. We ended picking a nicer dress for the same price in their regular women's section. I should have thought of Zara at the time, but it slipped my mind.

MaxJones

Reaction score
I'd imagine you've got some growing ahead of you, so renting probably isn't a bad idea. There's a decent chance that whatever you wear is going to get abused.

Why don't you buy some cool cufflinks or a tie or something that you can use for a long time?

Eccentric

Reaction score
Just rent a tux, peak or shawl lapels. Black waist covering, be it cummerbund or waistcoat, and black bowtie. If you want to stand out while looking good, this is the way to do it. I wore a peak lapel tux to my senior prom last year and was the only properly dressed person I could see. The problem is that everyone has the same idea about how to "stand out", and it is generally a very bad one. Think matching bowtie/waistcoat sets matched to their date's dress.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The dance is on a boat? How about wearing a navy blazer on white shirt and light colored trousers instead?

as_ter_isk

Reaction score
Yes, the dance will be on a boat. I just read dress is semi-formal/costume. I don't think I'll be growing much expect for putting on a little weight (currently 6' at 150)..I'll probably still be looking for a black suit but may change the shirt and tie color. Thanks for replies, guys.

Yeah, the tie and other accessories will be in rotation for life, yo.

The last post is interesting but I don't think I would be confident in wearing it, as I am Chinese and have black hair.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I attended a yacht party for my high school graduation down in LA. The school chartered a huge boat and we went out of Long beach harbor, sailed around and gambled (for prizes, no cash) then came home. There was 5 full busloads of sweaty horny high schoolers on that boat.

My mom had bought me a nice looking gray two button lightweight suit from Men's Wearhouse. It fit well enough for a naive high school grad. I definitely stood out. I was one of three or four guys in a suit and I'm 6'3". And I topped it off with a baseball cap that had a emblem of a trailer on it that said White Trash. I went to school with a bunch of snobs and rich kids whose parents bought them everything, parking lot full of new Lexus' and Benz's. So my adolescent logic told me that would be a clever way to thumb my nose at them.

Edited to add: Looking back, if I really wanted to stand out, it wouldn't be from doing some lame gag, like the hat, or crazy colored shoes or green hair. If you are wearing a perfectly fitting suit or tux, maybe a nice pocket square, etc, paying attention to the details will be the way to stand out.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by as_ter_isk
Yes, the dance will be on a boat. I just read dress is semi-formal/costume. I don't think I'll be growing much expect for putting on a little weight (currently 6' at 150)..I'll probably still be looking for a black suit but may change the shirt and tie color. Thanks for replies, guys.

Yeah, the tie and other accessories will be in rotation for life, yo.

The last post is interesting but I don't think I would be confident in wearing it, as I am Chinese and have black hair.

what has being Chinese got to do with it?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
The dance is on a boat? How about wearing a navy blazer on white shirt and light colored trousers instead?

And some naval insignia and a hat and...and.........
redface.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
what has being Chinese got to do with it?

Because they usually get off the boat in America not back on it.

rimshot.gif

No offence.
inlove.gif

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What time will it be? If its not at night I would wear a navy blue blazer with brass buttons,light chinos and a patterened oxford shirt (nothing too extravegent). I always found that bow ties look very nice with navy blue blazers. If you want to wear a pocket square I wouldn't wear one, which is too bold and huge, maby a plain white silk one. For shoes wear a brown loafer or brogue. I have a very similar build to you and im chinese. I wore that a few months ago and it looked very good.

If its after six go buy a tuxedo.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
What time will it be? If its not at night I would wear a navy blue blazer with brass buttons,light chinos and a patterened oxford shirt (nothing too extravegent). I always found that bow ties look very nice with navy blue blazers. If you want to wear a pocket square I wouldn't wear one, which is too bold and huge, maby a plain white silk one. For shoes wear a brown loafer or brogue. I have a very similar build to you and im chinese. I wore that a few months ago and it looked very good.

If its after six go buy a tuxedo.

He's 17, blazer and bowtie seems a little strange (dare I say, affected) for a 17 year old to wear.

I'm 17, and I wear bowties (maybe once a month), but most kids aren't me.

But a tuxedo is always cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads